1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel 660p 2tb

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by pimpernell, Jun 30, 2019.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Anyone got this after the price drop?
    I was in the marked for a bigger ssd and with the recent pricedrop the Intel 660p 2tb nvme dropped below all the competiton.
    I know it is not as good as Samsung 970, but it is half the price!.
    Already got the Samsung nvme 950 pro 512gb and the 960 Evo 512gb.
    Hope i have enough lanes to run all three at full speed (Z370 Asrock gi7gaming, 8700k and 2 hdds and a ssd. If need be i can move one of the older drives to my plex server).
    Still going to use the Samsung as boot, this if for games mostly.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I have had it (2TB 660p) for about 3 months or so and I'm liking it. I think I paid $204. It isn't as light speed as some nvme drives but it's still pretty quick. I'm getting up to 1.9/1.6 GB/sec I/O. It's easily 3x faster than any of my SATA SSDs. It's my only gaming drive now. I'm still using an Evo 850 (512GB) for my primary OS drive.

I also paid $17 for an adapter/heat sink since my z97 board's m2 slot can't get anywhere close to full speed (that was maxed at 800gb/sec I/O).

It seems to be one of the best per TB deals for an nvme drive.

I do recommend a heat sink as the drive comes bare. These puppies get hot. I peeled off the Intel sticker and put it on the backside so my heat sink would get the best contact it could. They cost $5-$7.

3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    I got it and installed it. Works wonders and my z370/8700k has just enough lanes to give full speed to 3x nvme, 4x sata and one gpu.

To give a comparison; my system drive Samsung 960 Evo 500gb (windows and many other games) gives 3148 MB/s read and 1548 MB/s Write. with about 270k IOPS on both.
    My second Samsung 950 pro 512gb gives 2565 MB/s read and 1119 MB/s write with about 300k IOPS.
    And the Intel 600p 2gb give 1940 MB/s read 1959 MB/s write and about 240k IOPS.

These numbers do vary with temperature, system and hos much data there are on the drives. When i messured the two Samsung's was almsot full and the Intel was almost empty.

Moving most of game library and most used programs over to the Intel.
    I just can't use hdd's anymore for games these days , they all are like 50++++ gb's

I do have a Asus nvme card that i used with my old motherboard (Asus z97 deluxe) , but the Asrock i have now give much better nvme cooling and i do have 8x140mm fans in my huge evga DG-87 case , so cooling is not a problem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Why not install Win dows 10 on the Samsung PRO? Its will be more beneficial and faster.
    Samsung EVO cards are kind of trash, if you go check their benchmarks, all the models below 2TB [1Tb is borderline] are SLOW as hell in real life and synthetic benchmarks, the one you run hits the buffer so it shows like the drive is fast but in reality it has small buffer and its slow.
    Samsung PRO has same speed all across the drive, it wont slow down even at 98% full, it has much faster 4K transfers and its excellent OS drive, the EVO is not a good OS drive, until you hit 2TB EVO.
    If I was you, I would of used the PRO for OS, the 660p for games and sold the EVO and got another drive, like Corsair MP510, it has 5 years warranty and insane life span 3120TBW and for 252USD You can get 2TB model from USA Amazon

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Because the OS workload doesn't tax the drive enough to benefit from the full speed of a PRO. Which is why you use a PRO for your work partition, where you are doing your editing and such, and an EVO for the OS partition or game installs. If $$ isn't an problem, then sure, get all PRO, why not. :)

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    For example I have 480Gb Optane and all the reviews recommend it to be used as OS drive for the high 4K Read/Write, for video encoding which mostly needs high Sequaental speeds, any NVMe will be OK, except 660p, 600p or anything like that
    I dont know what workloads you have but even SATA 860EVO, MX500 and WDBlue 3D all have high sequential speed [1tb or higher ssds only] that fast enough for 8K encoding.

P.S. Thats why i recommend the MP510 its just like pro with probably longer lifespan, and 250USD for 2Tb is cheaper then everything out there