Intel: 19 Skylake processors will be discontinued

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    They had a good run, and it's time to let it go. Intel will be discontinuing (EOL) some 2015 Skylake processors in the Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 ranges. Kaby Lake (Refresh) a...

Intel: 19 Skylake processors will be discontinued

2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    I dont understand why they where even still being produced in the first place there is newer and better products available and the fab space could have been used to alleviate the shortage.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    As mentioned in the OP, those were primarily used by OEMs. They offer a specific system, and they typically offer that for a few years without changes, so they require the same CPUs to continue to be available for that time period.
    The pre-built system world, especially when it comes to business systems (ie. office PCs) moves quite slowly.

For OEMs in a business-class PC world, its easier to only update their lineup every couple of generations, because that results in less configurations to support. And ultimately, the changes between CPU generations have been so minimal lately that nothing real is lost either.
    The provider I'm looking at right now, since I know my last job dealed with them, still offers Skylake i7-6700 systems as their mainstream top-end option. They also have a performance option for a 9900, but thats not the mainstream variant.

The volume those CPUs were being produced in was probably quite low near the end. But regardless, they sold, and as such its not wasted fab space at all. If they made newer CPUs instead, and sold those instead, there still would not be higher supply.

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Finally I can now afford that Celeron G3900 That I have been dreaming of!:rolleyes:

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    is the 6700k discounted too? cause that image shows a 6700k, not that is matters much there all "technically" obsolete

Intel cutting costs one palce so as the can keep the prices high? so as they can keep living that dream where they think there alone in this busisness and have no competition?

6. V3RT3X79

V3RT3X79 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    "Some of the processors are mainly used by OEMs including the Core i5-6500 and i7-6700, the i5-6600K and i7-6700K (which actually already had been discontinued in 2017)"

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    AMD's market share is still too low for Intel to be concerned. It would take a substantial market loss for Intel to consider AMD a real threat.