Intel 14nm Processor shortages to continue until mid-2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, question is: how many dysfunctional 10nm factories they have? This would indicate planned capacity which they have no access to.
    I think that they did not build enough to start with.

tunejunky likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Been posting this in many other threads too, they're just circle jerking.
    Even better, on kitguru.net I was reading this headline: "Intel addresses 14nm chip supply shortage, assuring it will meet full-year revenue outlook"

F U Intel, F the fing F U

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Is this impacting previous gen CPUs? Like, we're having major delays in shipments from HP, but we use laptops that run the 6000 series chips mainly. But those are 14nm... I'm just wondering how it all works, because the 6000 series are old, but many businesses still need them.

4. storm83

storm83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 660 ti
    I really hope AMD is able to up their game for the true Ryzen 2!
    It's time for some real competition...

Would be nice if AMD's gpu's were a threat to Nvidia as well, but i don't see that happening any time soon...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I've read its only budget cpus (Pentium, celeron?) that have this shortage and price hike, not Core and Xeon series - they've given priority to these instead.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    D3M1G0D, not quite.

their 10nm process is still only at their engineering fabs...and i believe only one, but i could be mistaken. there are two others which may have the tooling.
    your point would be better made if Intel was going 10nm in a big way...which they are two (big) steps removed from.

my talking re: 14nm reflects not just 9th gen cpu's, but all of their newest chipsets, including modems.
    so that impacts the logistics of all motherboard manufacturers (Killer, Qualcomm, and Atheros can make some headway)
    and the entire Intel ecosystem.

in December Intel is slated to give a (highly technical) whitepaper at IEDM. we should know more at that point.

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes, priority as meaning production lines have been set up at engineering fabs.
    too little, too late to avoid screwing the entire line for six months (at least).

as i've previously stated, Apple is selling more Intel 14nm (and TSMC 7nm) than Intel can supply their own product line. that shiny new iPhone XS will sell more than all of Intel's other 14nm modem clients (and Intel) combined.

and face it, as much as Intel would love to supply the supply chain, they love the tip-top dollar that Apple pays even more.

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, Intel indicated volume production with 10nm next year. If only one engineering fab has it now then I find it difficult to believe they will achieve this goal in time. Is their timeline believable?

10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    So, curious: when they reach 1nm what happens? Will it go to pico? Isnt there impossibilities due to laws and shi*?

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    not reliable in the slightest.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    lolz dude, stuff happens when it happens, particularly in the case of breakthroughs.
    it is Big Science (and the related R&D budget) to be at 7nm, and Intel is nowhere near production on the original design for 10nm and the corresponding density. if they lower the pitch or otherwise gimp their design it will be the end of Intel's reign and ensure AMD will win all further crowns until Intel looks at the problem differently. that's IF they gimp it, but there are signs pointing to them doing just that.