Intel 10th Gen Core "Comet Lake" Processor Lineup Revealed Incl. Prices and Specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Unless Intel had them ready just in case and planned to release them only if AMD was too much competitive. It's Intel we are talking about after all ..... i like the company and their products but they have been shady for a while. BTW no way this refresh would absolutely require a new socket. This is Intel milking the cow again if true.

2. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Probably, but you can't know for sure, besides it's probably for next releases, they might be trying to use a socket one would be able to use even with future CPUs.

3. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I think the main difference is the VRM layout and in turn most likely power delivery thats the only thing i can think of anyway.

"
    LGA 1200 is an upcoming Intel microprocessor compatible socket for Comet Lake desktop CPUs which is expected to be released in Q1 2020.[1][2]

LGA 1200 is designed as a replacement for the LGA 1151 (known as Socket H4). LGA 1200 has 1200 protruding pins to make contact with the pads on the processor. It uses a modified design of LGA 1151, with 49 more pins on it, improving power delivery and offering support for future incremental I/O features. Pin 1 position remains the same as it was in previous generation processors, but it has shifted socket keying to left (previously it was right), making Comet Lake processors incompatible both electrically and mechanically with previous chips"

Yeah i was right it's power delivery still thats a lot of new pins required just for that. I am also guessing the socket is slightly larger providing maybe more surface area for cooling. Maybe the socket can be used with future icelake parts?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    shame they're still grinding it on 14nm.. I would really like to see this new IceLake arch.

Intel, it's time.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Intel should have done everything in their power to tick with existing motherboards.

Asking people to buy a new board to support a barely better chip is basically telling people to consider AMD. If you need a new board anyway why not look into team AMD?

6. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 SLI
    I'm in that boat - I need a full platform upgrade.

To me, the obvious answer is clock speed. If this 10700k chip is real and comes out in the next 6 months, it competes with the 3700x, but it's nearly a full ghz faster. Right now, I don't anticipate that having much of an impact on gaming (my only use case), so not a big deal. But what will the benchmarks of those two chips look like 5 years from now? That is relevant to me because I don't upgrade often.

I went with an i5 back when I built my PC in 2013 because there wasn't a major difference in frame rates between it and the i7. Recently the i5 hit the wall in Assassin's Creed Origins, and a buddy strongly suggested I move up to the i7 to tide me over for a little while. I found one on ebay and I got a 20-30% jump in performance over my i5.

7. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 8GB
    I've just switched from Core i5-2500K / Z68 to to Ryzen 5 3600 / X570, to get USB 3 Gen 2 and full PCIe 3.0 speed on my NVMe SSD.

Could have installed an Ivy Bride i5-3xxx or i7-3xxx, but decided to go one step further, with an upgrade path to PCIe 4.0 drives by Fall 2020. Also 6-core SMTis a nice addition, with an upgrade path to 8/16 core Zen 3 if needed (I have a few tasks that scale linearly with number of CPUs). Intel 8-core CPUs are currently much more expensive - an i7-9400K alone costs almost the same as my kit of Ryzen 7 3600, X570, and 32 GB of RAM, and is also hard to get due to supply shortages.

But if X670 does come with USB4 (and ThunderBolt 3) by the end of 2020, I might be compelled to upgrade yet again - I need a fast external SSDs, and TB3 / USB4 would be the fastest (but also most expensive) option, though USB 3 Gen 2×2 (20 Gbit/s) should be also supported.
    https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-4000...chipset-landing-in-late-2020-getting-usb-4-0/7

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020