Integrated Xe Intel Tiger Lake GPU outperforms Vega at 7nm from Ryzen 4000 for notebooks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    If multiple "likes" i could give to the above post!!!!

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's wait and see.
    Until real world benchmarks and robust evidence I'll take it with a lot of salt.
    More, let's see the pricing...
    On the other hand, Intel is fighting back to keep their position in mobile market.
    For us the consumers it's a win-win.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its coming too late in my opinion.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not bad, but not amazing either. Win some, lose some.

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    It's good to see competition, but the ipgu performance was rarely the decider on my laptop purchases. If gpu ever mattered, you have to go dedicated gpu .

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, what a perspective. It is against freaking Vega iGPU with 8 CUs only. Not 11 CUs like parts that are more oriented to GPU. Then it is clear that R9 4900HS is 35W part. And likely tested in 14 inch, thin laptop.
    Intel's ES is likely tested on rather TDP unrestrained board and intel does not do 35W, their traditional performance bracket is 45W.

And I believe that most of us already know difference between AMD's and intel's TDP values.
    - - - -
    Then there is that: "joke is on intel." If it gets released around start of 2021, they'll not have to deal with Vega iGPUs, but RDNA1 with good 50% better power efficiency. Or with RDNA2 with even more improvements.
    Navi with 6 CUs would deliver same performance as Vega with 8CUs, yet same TDP budget would enable Navi to have 10~12CUs.
    - - - -
    It is not for 1st time intel danced at same pace as GCN did in past. But GCN era is at its end.
    - - - -
    Currently available products:

Intel's 8C/16T with 45W TDP (Sold in 15~17'' laptops only) about equal to AMD's 8C/16T with 35W sold in 14'' laptop.

And I hope that everyone understands that Ryzen 5 4650U (6C/12T) mentioned is as all "U" parts 15W.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's decent for casual gaming on 1080p. Can build PC for around $300 (without monitor) and play minecraft and other games. Each to its own.

edit: oh I went with desktop, while we talking notePCs where. dummy me.

9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    iGPU performance is mostly dictated by (shared) system RAM bandwidth/clocks, figures which are missing here for the Intel.

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Wow, 2-3 fps. Almost within margin of error. Ok Intel.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Intel is only stupidly expensive when it comes to CPUs and enterprise hardware. Pretty much the rest of their entire product lineup is appropriately priced. I suspect Intel's GPUs will be mildly more expensive than AMD's but cheaper than Nvidia's (if we compare performance-per-<currency>).
    If GPU ever mattered you'd get a desktop.

12. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Allow me to say it again:
    iGPU performance is mostly dictated by (shared) system RAM bandwidth/clocks, figures which are missing here for the Intel.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think this is good news. It´s nice to have a decent iGPU on a laptop because it make the system cheaper and it bodes well for their upcoming discret GPUs.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    AMD has been rather lazy on the iGPU side, though I suppose they were busy developing the APUs for Sony and MS. I'd expect things to change soon enough as laptops are a major market, so AMD can't keep neglecting it for too long. In other words, Intel has had all the time needed to catch up. Of course it has been hard for Intel as it has never been any GPU powerhouse.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I find it very unlikely that intel would limit their ES to same 15W Ryzen 5 4650U uses. ES are usually run on testing boards with relatively big cooling (compared to laptops) on open bench.
    ESes are usually used in way that they are TDP unrestrained and they measure their behavior under different clock and voltages to determine their potential.

16. ETAxDOA

ETAxDOA Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI