Instant shutdown after loading up windows 10.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by IceVip, Jul 12, 2016.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Let me begin by saying that I upgraded to windows 10 1st of August last year.
    It was a clean x64 pro .iso install and i have not had any problems with it up
    untill now.

The thing is i rarely see the problem with my own eyes but it is happening,
    basically imagine you click your boot button, go to the toilet, comeback and
    expect your pc to be on right? well mine hasn't been on for the last month.

Every goddamn time after a coldboot the thing shuts down but NEVER when
    I'm looking at it and i don't know why its doing it. I do see it every time
    in the Event Viewer.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes when i leave the pc on and go outside for 5-6 hours i come home
    to see the pc off. Usually when it shuts down and i boot it up after that everything
    is totally fine. It always happens on a brand new day the first goddamn boot.

My specs are in my profile and they haven't changed for the last year.
    I really need to know what the hell is doing this because let me tell you something
    not only does it do that but every goddamn ****ing time it does it my mouse
    settings reset(polling rate/button funcs/DPI/sens) and my steam reinstalls
    itself and resets its settings too i mean like what the actual fock does that
    have to do with anything?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Have you tried stock settings regarding CPU/memory?

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I did and it does it again.

4. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Flakey main drive perhaps? Run diagnostics and virus/malware scan.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Eh, Icevip lately you got nothing but problems with that rig.

Any spare PSU around? Idk how are you even running such a build on a crappy CX.

6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    my steam reinstalls
    itself and resets its settings too i mean like what the actual fock does that
    have to do with anything?

I've had that happen when I was working on overclock and voltage wasn't high enough to hold a stable clock, the voltage was for cpu itself, I raised and it was fine. But ya it's like it loses everything, was weird, but also had it happen when my ram went bad and that was just few weeks ago it did same thing. Replaced bad ram all good again. Doesn't mean you have same prob just throwin it at ya it happened to me same deal.

7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Oh boy if you could see my old psu, some deepcool 400W, handled this rig like
    a dream :D. But yeah as you said nothing but problems. I guess thats what
    i deserve for going in all cheap.

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Okay i made some changes to the boot processes. I had some CAM software error
    from trying to boot but not being able to due to the .exe being deleted. I'll report as soon
    as it does it again, ran virus scan,nothing and ran sfc /scannow it fixed some stuff but we'll see.

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, I don't want to spread a panic but this case of yours reminds me on something, here is the story I'm willing to share, I'm not kidding...

Female friend of mine had (still has) problems with her custom build HTPC, BSODs when she is not near that PC. She is having some health issues past few years and every few days she needs to go to 2 hours session teraphy. If she left that PC turned on while she is at teraphy session EVERY TIME when she's back home: BSOD on the screen is waiting for here, but no one haven't touched that PC, no one is home, everything is locked! And this is happening only shen she in not at home, never when she is at home...

I've tried everything to find a reason for those misterious BSODs, BSOD error code didn't helped me a bit, God knows how many hours I've burned into testing of CPU, RAMs, HDD, PSU, MB, GPU, DVD-RW, power and SATA cables, different drivers experiments, OS reinstalls, in and out of the case testing, with my peripherals and with her peripherals also (mouse, KB, speakers, PSU cables, lol even my DVI cables), I gave her one of my UPSs... Results: BSODs are still happening at her house when she was not around. Same PC, same peripherals, same OS and programs, SAME EVERYTHING at my house: not a single BSOD after days of non-stop testing or (ab)use!!! Wtf is going on here!?

Then I've started to think she is joking with me, asked her if she is and she was a bit insulted on that question. Few days later after coming back from teraphy she send me BSOD picture via Viber: do you believe me now?

I was really geting tired of that PC, only thing that went to my mind is to tell her to find either a priest to bless the house or exsorcist to chase the poltergeist, demon, ghost whatever from that PC or her house, but couldn't tell her that of course: God damn woman, just turn off that stupid thing before going out!

As far as I know problem is still there, AT HER HOUSE, so OP in your case you probably have two choices left: priest or exsorcist :D

10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I could only pray to god it was a bsod, at least that way ill have something
    to point at some direction. Mine is just an instant shutdown. I saw it only once
    it just shuts off like i turn the psu to 0.

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Oh my effing god. I just witnessed the most horrible thing one can imagine.

Today my pc shutdown like usual on the first boot, on the second however it said my
    bios settings were messed up and that i had to enter it, so i did. What do i see there
    the cpu degree is at 89C, climbing up to 94 and at 94 my pc just shuts off as usual.
    Well ain't that a view. The ****ing kraken x31 doesn't turn on on the first boot and
    for some god forsaken reason it didn't turn on on the second one and i was lucky enough
    to see in the bios that my cpu was actually overheating to finally come up with a
    conclusion. For god's sake this means my cpu has hit its thermal limit like what..90 times?
    My ****ing god kraken. Ain't buyin another of that **** no mo.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Are you running that pump off a fan header?

Sometimes they don't provide enough amperage, so you may want to try running it off a molex connector

13. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    These AIOs are pita, I saw my h80i fans slowing down and stopping twice while the pc was on, I was like dafuq and just hit the power button by reflex. A week ago I updated Corsair Link to the latest version and set instant shutdown if fans go below 500 RPM, hopefully I'm not going to see such a thing again.

14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    It is and there are problems with krakens from my experience, if you dont
    connect them properly the pump wont start at all. Like the first time i wired
    my kraken i had my own CM fan attached to it and the pump didnt start, i shut
    down the pc cuz i entered the bios and saw 83C and climbing. Not sure what
    exactly is going on with these units but they're pretty bad and limited from
    my experience.

15. toronto699

toronto699 Guest

GPU:
    asus GTX660
    I had similar issue with W10 freezing on Reboot and shut down , I discovered that W10 installed a newer chip set driver , going back to the original chip set driver for my Asus 87 motherboard fixed the freeze issues on Shut Down and Reboot . And because of the chip set driver I had issues installing software and new hardware I would get error message " This hardware or software is not for your PC do u still want to install it? That's what I would check the chip set driver.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

16. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I already found the issue mate, its my liquid cooling not turning on everytime
    the pc has a cold boot, cpu overheats and pc does a thermal shutdown.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    How long does it take for your PC to shut down? I worked on a computer at my Job and it was the younger Son of my Boss. He had an H90 cpu cooler on an FX 8150 CPU and it started out at like 30 seconds (on Cold boot) to Shutdown and it got worse overtime and it Turned out that the pump had died on the Cooler and the water block was very warm to hot to the touch and it shouldn't be. Was your water block very warm or hot to the touch?

18. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    After all this sh*t that happened i can now officially say the throttle point for the
    Vishera chips because never have i ever seen an official answer around the net.
    When the chip hits 104c it clocks down, when it continues to hit 104c for
    more than 10 seconds the pc shuts down so i guess the thermal shutdown
    is the same as the thermal throttle but it only activates as long as
    the chip continues to overheat like crazy(like in my case). I know i know
    how the hell did this guy get the answers. Well lucky me i opened HWInfo64
    on time before my pc shuts down and tried to diagnose the issue properly.
    Time to switch to air cooling again. Kraken can say hello to the garbage,
    can't even sell it second hand because I'm afraid that if it pulls this sh*t
    to the next guy i sell it to he'll come looking for me.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

That's bad luck there with Kraken,I would try contact NZXT regarding this,some companies are happy to honour their warranty after has expired

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

20. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    It has warranty the unit is only 7 months old but i don't even wanna use the
    warranty because issues started from day 1. What cooling doesn't turn on if
    you don't use its fan? What kind of a limiting rule is that. Never touching
    these units again.