Installing WinXP has never been this hard...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by QuadCannons, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yep, never worked for me, tried everything, and in multiple machines too.

Loaded them onto USB drive, select the correct driver, so I can browse the USB drive and everything, but it would start to load the driver and just sit there.

Put it onto a floppy drive, worked straight up.

I've even tried USB floppy drives, I've got one of those because they're pretty handy in other situations, refuses to work off those too.

It's very weird.

2. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Some computer BIOSes allow you to emulate a floppy disk with a USB pen drive, so that when you go to A: you are really going to the pen drive. Not all BIOSes support it though, but it's worth a try. I've done it a couple of times on different PCs and it worked :)

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    If i may ask what do you class a heat wave :p??

it better be over 38....lol(degrees)

4. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    No, that clunker has XP SP2 on it still.

I run Vista Business on my work laptop.

5. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    You were probably just doing it wrong ;)

Ive never had a problem out of Vista or 2008 using anything off a USB drive.

XP and 2003 a tiny problem here or there....most manufactuers released a package that would format a floppy and stick the driver files on tehre for you so that was always easiest.

6. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    That procedure will create a bootable flash drive that acts just like a HD and brings you right to DOS. You can copy over bios, flash utlities, etc. However, it doesn't *emulate* a floppy drive. My current motherboard's bios has an option to treat an inserted flash drive as a floppy - but it still doesn't act like a floppy - I assume that option is what is needed to load F6 drivers in pre-vista OSs. My previous motherboard did not have that usb drive floppy option, and its very possible yours does not either.

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Did you also format your FD with FAT(32)? NTFS isn't readable in DOS and i can't read from FD's as well within a Windows install when a FD is formatted in NTFS.

8. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    You must format it as FAT (not FAT32 or NTFS) in order to be readable as a DOS boot drive.