Installing WD800JD Sata Drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jflo22, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Ok, here's my problem, my motherboard recognizes my SATA drive, but when I try to install it through XP Pro, it wont recognize it. I have used the Western Digital drivers at the start with F6, but still wont recognize it. Any suggestions here. This is very frustrating. Using Jetway PM800DMS Mobo. I've also used WD's Diagnostic tool to test the Drive and it tests fine.

2. ironblood

ironblood Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATi Radeon x1600pro 256mb
    Did you try flashing your motherboard's bios?
    Did you throughly check your cables, power, and jumpers(i.e. Two slaves oir two masters?) for any problems?

3. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Checked the bios, its the newest one. Have 2 cd drives as Secondary master and secondary slave. AHHH! This is driving me crazy!

4. ZOGMgog

ZOGMgog Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 xt
    i had to unplug my 2 PATA drives in order to install windows on the SATA.
    once i installed windows i plugged them back in and all was good.

5. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    PATA? I'm new to that term LOL, fill me in. i only have 2 cd drives on IDE and nothing else.

6. ZOGMgog

ZOGMgog Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 xt
    PATA = parallel ATA or IDE
    SATA = Serial ATA

PATA is the connector that the cd drives use, and most hard drives use. you have to set the jumpers to master/slave or cable select. it can have up to 2 drives on this connector. and the connectors connect to a primary or secondary channel.

SATA is the newer connector that you dont have to set the jumper.

i assumed you had other hard drives as storage.

when you say that the motherboard recognizes the drive, where do you see that? when it posts and in the bios?
    and are trying to install windows on this drive?

7. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    Hey, I used to have the same problem with the windows installer not detecting my SATA drive but it was fixed in more recent BIOS versions. You said you already updated your BIOS so here is what I used to do in order to get it to work.

In my BIOS there are settings for the onboard IDE controller. The very first settings allowed me to switch between Legacy Mode and Native Mode. When in Native Mode, the windows installer would not detect the drive but in Legacy Mode it would. I think what happens is that in Legacy mode it makes the SATA drive appear as a regular IDE drive and it also uses the default resources for an IDE controller. Try switching to Legacy mode, make sure all the other settings in that section make sense and then try installing windows again. Once you have Windows installed, you can switch back to Native mode.

BTW: For my board at least, in legacy mode a max of 4 IDE devices can be used at a time but in Native Mode you can load up both IDE channels and the 2 SATA ports.

8. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    thanks guys, I will try this stuff out, but I have this wierd fealing there is supposed to be a SATA floppy that needs to be made off of the original mobo disk. Thanks for all your guy's help.