Installing old 20.4.2 Adrenaline on 6650 XT?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by THEREALLEIMI, Jan 31, 2023.

1. THEREALLEIMI

THEREALLEIMI Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500 M
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    probably not unless you paid someone to attempt to do it.

I would just look into using sweetFX or reshade.

they have tons of AA options you can use for different games.

3. I wonder if you could drop the DirectX dlls from that driver release into Alien Isolation?

More of a long-shot but I wonder if whatever that mod is could be converted to some DXVK patch and then adaptable for updated drivers?

What about forks? https://github.com/RyanJGray/aliasIsolation

4. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Must be a 6 series issue then? I'm currently using that mod on my 5700 XT with the latest drivers and it's working perfectly.

5. THEREALLEIMI

THEREALLEIMI Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500 M
    What framerate and settings do you play at?

It works on my 580 and 6650 with recent drivers but the performance isn't good because with newer drivers than 20.4.2 the AA-injector runs on the CPU. Because the game is old and well optimized it could still run decently depending what system you have and at which resolution you play. But it also didn't work with my old RX 580. With newer drivers I get framedrops into the 30s and with the old driver the fps are perfect even with the RX 580 on 1440p and everything at max. But I don't want to have to install and keep that card for just playing that game.

Thx for the hint but I don't think it would work. The game doesn't really eliminate jagged edges and flickering with the inbuilt or any other forced AA. Only this TAA-Injector mod works perfectly and with it the visual quality improves dramatically. You even need it at really high resolutions.

https://reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/4925-how-to-combine-taa-mod-with-reshade-for-alien-iso

Could give the directX dlls a shot but unfortunately I'm not too expierienced with stuff like this. I only can remember that in the past there was a website where you could mod NVIDIA desktop drivers for mobile gpus with a simple ini modification. But I think these times are long gone. Its just that the 6650 XT is basically a refresh of the 5700 XT so I wonder if somehow the old driver could be made compatible..

6. Did you happen to try manually installing through Device Manager 5700xt graphics drivers and seeing what would happen?

7. THEREALLEIMI

THEREALLEIMI Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500 M
    Didn't try it yet out of fear it could get bricked.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I wouldn't try installing older drivers on the 6650xt , as they predate the RDNA2 launch and will not work, other than using a different mod, Using the Dxvk wrapper is worth a shot to see if it works.

Also , have you tried using old school SuperSampling through the driver? , the 6650xt is much faster than an rx 580 , so its probably fast enough to run 4x-8x SSAA with similar or greater performance, and SSAA is generally considered the gold standard for antialiasing but it tanks your framerate so people don't use it much anymore. works great for older games though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  9. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I install it on my Radeon Pro W5500. It might work on your card??

Attached Files:

10. THEREALLEIMI

THEREALLEIMI Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500 M
    That card was around when that driver got released but not the 6650 XT.

Like I said: Any other ingame or forced AA doesn't have nearly the same effect than the mod. But the Dxvk wrapper sounds promising, thanks!

https://reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/4925-how-to-combine-taa-mod-with-reshade-for-alien-iso