installing nvidia driver causes problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MSERAPH, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MSERAPH

MSERAPH New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gs
    this is the message i posted in varius tech support websites
    hello guys, plz stay with me a bit, this a long description of my problem. i have a dv9770 ev vista laptop and a geforce 8600m gs graphics card. i was playing prototype and everything was ok, till i saw a message that the game will run faster if i update the driver card. so i went the easy way to control panel-system-device control(dont knwo how exactly it is called)- screen-geforce card and i pressed the update button and restarted my pc
    thats when the problems started. pixels were off, i couldnt read the texts and the games were unplayable in that situation and it got worse with time. a friend of mine said that this kind of problem could be solved if i reverted to a previous driver card version, so i went to control panel-system-device control- screen-geforce card and pressed the restore button below the update button( and the card was named from geforce to vga graphics card)
    i could once again use the pc watch movies etc but i couldnt play cause it needed the driver card. i used different methods either through downloading and installing the drivers of various versions from hp.com , other sites , nvidia, and by automatically updating it through the update button control panel-system-device control- screen- and after the required restart so that the install could be finalised , every single time the screen would go blank during startup and after reseting the startup it would use the repair during startup function to revert the problem( ? ) and revert me to the system restore to the point where the card was named in device control just vga graphics card.
    i have tried updating the vga graphics card with the correct nvidia grforce drivers and every time the pc recognises some problem , repairs itself during startup and reverts the card back to vga.
    i can use the pc now but not beeing able to play any game is annoying.
    can any1 help me?

i found this site when i was browsing for a solution and i tried it. i removes the nvidia driver from the uninstall programs, put the laptop in safe mode, used the sweeper and removed the nvidia display, rebooted when it suggested after the removal, and restarted . i then turned off the antivirus and used the appropriate driver for my card and after install i restarted. however it still has the same problem. the screen freezes and after i rerestart the pc it enters repair during startup mode again and reverts the system to the previous point where the previous drivers were removed by thr sweeper. tried it 3 times and still the same. i dont know what else to try......
    plz somebody help me. no1 knows how...

2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    What exact driver version are you using? I believe Nvidia's website offers a few for notebook cards or you could try LaptopVideo2Go.

3. MSERAPH

MSERAPH New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gs
  4. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    The driver sweeper you used is this one, right?

If you're still getting issues after using this particular driver you listed, then try another one. Some just don't seem to work correctly, even if they are WHQL.

5. MSERAPH

MSERAPH New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gs
    yup. this one. i also tried downloading and installing other versions of nvdia drivers even thought it didnt have the card i have in the specifications and it keeps not recognizing my card as compatible with other drivers so its not installed.( it kicks me out of the installation) its normal i think

6. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Yeah because you need the modified .INF Try that site I listed earlier (LaptopVideo2Go) and try one of their driver sets. Obviously, make sure you get the correct OS. ;)

7. MSERAPH

MSERAPH New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gs
    ill try it. but u lost me. how can i find the modified .inf in a driver file?

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Laptopvideo2go has modified infs. you place the downloaded inf in the same folder as the extracted driver (usually in a subdirectory of c:\nvidia\) replacing the old one.

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    From your description I understand that you might have two problems at the same time, MSERAPH.

Here's a way how to install any video card driver for your graphic card:

Download both the driver and the modded inf for your OS version (XP/Vista, 32-Bit/64-Bit) from here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/120-18x-series-geforce-driver-releases/ or here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/159-19x-series-geforce-driver-releases/

Now do the following:
    1. Uninstall your current driver.
    2. Restart and boot into safe mode (F8).
    3. Run Driver Sweeper and maybe even CCleaner.
    4. Restart and boot to the regular desktop.
    5. Decompress the downloaded driver and copy the modded inf into that folder.
    6. Run the setup.exe you can find in that folder.
    7. Restart.

In case you're getting an error message when you try to install the driver, decompress it with a tool like 7-Zip, delete the PhsyX installer from the folder and just start the setup.exe in the decompressed driver folder...

Besides that you mention:
    This usually indicates a failing graphic card I'm afraid. An incompatible/missing driver doesn't result in those kind of problems.

Also:
    Where did you see that message? In a browser window while surfing the web? A pop-up from Windows?

Btw: welcome to Guru3D. :)

10. MSERAPH

MSERAPH New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8600m gs
    the message was a follow up to a driver download page where it listed some games and it said about the performance %increase in some of them when the driver is updated.
    i have just got the laptop from repair not 2 weeks ago because of a mistake of mine. they would have seen the problem. in any case when the graphics card is listed as vga, everything is fine...except the games dont play. now about your 1st instruction man, i already done that and even tried different drivers from that site the got installed but when i restarted the screen again would go black and i required to restart the pc where again it started repair and system restore to the previous point.
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...vidia-driver-causes-problems.html#post2266645 sb from that forum said that for that kind of problem the chipset driver isnt installed or is badly installed.
    but after several tries i made a mess again. used the sweeper to remove the chipset nvidia but when i try to download it from hp.com it keep saying that my laptop hasnt the minimum requirements for it or in other cases that i newer version is installed. i really am lost. i have followed every1 advice but nothing is working.
    i would format but it says that the hardrives are not installed . looked it up and i am supposed to change the sata drivers to ide and take drivers from this site http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-of-Intel-Sata-and-Raid-drive-t107504.html to use with the installation cd so that format will work. but i got a quanta 30cb motherboard and there is seemingly no option for that......

11. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    "installing nvidia driver causes problem"

I also received a fortune cookie with the same message

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Well, hardware can go kaput from one second to the other. :nerd:
    What laptop (model) do you have?
    Huh?

When you boot from the OS CD it tells you it can't find a HDD?