Installing Half-Life 1 **NEED HELP**

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kchor4, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kchor4

kchor4 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500
    Okay, here is the deal. I found an box of old computer games when I was helping my mom clean out her storage unit. One of the games in it is the original Half-Life that I played back in 1999. I really want to install this on my computer but, it's not letting me. When I put the disk in my computer it will pop up the screen saying to install, but when I click that it won't do anything. :( I'm not quite sure what to do, but I would really like to play HL again. If someone knows a solution that doesn't require going through Steam, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I'm running Vista 64-bit.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Have the CD Key?

Activate it on Steam.

If not, you're out of luck.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Make an image / copy the setup files off the disk?

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    If the game had a 16-bit installer, or components, it won't work on Windows 7 x64. Basically every program and installer since 1995 (Windows 95) should have been at least 32-bit, but it was commonplace for them to use 16-bit stuff for a long time after that. Beyond that I can't suggest anything. Just too bad Black Mesa is possibly dead-ish...

5. kchor4

kchor4 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500
    I was hoping I could find a solution that didn't require going through Steam.

But, what do you mean Extraordinary by making an image/copy the setup files off the disk.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Not dead.

But it's a 12 hour SP game they are completely remaking from scratch in their free time. Which means maybe means an hour here and there. No sample task.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I will be very surprised if the game is ever released. It's been YEARS and even years back they announced it would be released by 2009.

It's almost 2012 and no news...

Anyhow, to the op - Buy a STEAM version of the hl series, it's probably $10 or less since it's such an old game.

It's better this way since you get the latest updates for the game as well as 1920x1080 widescreen resolution.

I'm using the steam version myself as well as a modified russian mod which is over 4gb in size....

My half life graphics are a cross between half-life & half-life 2... :D

8. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    He meant create a "virtual CD" and use a mounting software like daemon tools to mount it. Not sure if it will work since it's more of a compability issue but try it anyway !

Use a free software like "CDBurnerXP", you open it the software once installed and you choose the option "Copy or grab disc" from the menu. You choose the CD-Drive in which the CD is in .. and as "target", you should choose Hard Disc, and select "ISO" as file type and click on "Copy Disc"

Once it's done you should have an ISO file, to wherever you selected the destination to be ... Use daemon tools to mount the ISO file.

9. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Original disk works fine on Vista 64-bit over here. Not through Steam, although I did activate the CD key there. I actually had it installed way before I got Steam.

Funny thing I noticed though, I had the same problem of it not installing, so I did "Explore" and ran the setup from there... But it took like 5 min for the window to pop up, I just had to wait. Eh.... yea so I don't know maybe you have to go the Steam route.

10. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I don't know about hl but to get cs1.6 (same engine) working i had to run it in compatibility mode for windows xp and run as admin.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This is the CLOSEST thing you will get to Black Mesa Source.

Whilst it's nothing special, it's far better than the original. I'm running this hl source myself and here are some screens I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah I played that, was pretty good too.

Try installing HL in XP compatibility mode...

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @ Mkilbride, not bad looking! How does the water look? If it's like HL2 then it's worth checking out.

I may replay the game for the 50th time, it's never boring!

If possible have you got a working link for the above mod or site from which I can download it from.

Thanks.

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Just activate it on Steam. When I activated my original copy on Steam it gave me HL1, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and HL Deathmatch all on my Steam account. I never had those games before but I wasn't complaining at all.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Blue Shift was not so good, even on hard you will beat the game in around 2 1/2 hours...

However Half-Life & Opposing Force are worth the time, you will LOVE both games.

Opposing Force is almost identical to Half-Life, some stages are very similar.

Reason being in Opposing Force your fighting the same battle only play as a different character (Soldier).

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @ Mkilbride, just checked out the above mod... It's not yet released and is still under development... :(

Are there ANY other mods out there better than what I posted that is actually complete & can be downloaded?

I will add 2 screenshots of what I believe is to be the same mod as the one you posted some screens from, looks STUNNING!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]