Install NVCP or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BillieGDJoe, Sep 20, 2012.

1. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Member

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK
    Hi,

I´m used to never install NVCP, just the driver and PhysX software, nothing more to mantain the system more "clean". What I´m loosing not installing NVCP? What are the cons and pros? Sorry for this simple question.

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, u could run without it and use NVInspector, BUT u will loose some important stuff..like resolution creation, colors, settings, physx settings and more..Also video settings, gama controlls, other enhaced stuff and infos...

if u wonder in terms of performance..it doesnt matter..just install it, you will have better options and the perf is teh same..theres no need for NOT TO install it..

And since ur system isnt a total slow mo pc , its fine also..

Id say. install it..just leave out teh 3d stuff when installing IF u dont use 3d vision and so..u also can disable the update stuff..

Just install Physx, Display driver and HDMI sound...thats all..If u dont use SOund over hdmi then u can disable those in teh hardware manager..is often better then Not installing them..

hope that helped a bit..

_betA-

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Control over Quality setting, PhysX usage for examples.

4. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Member

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK

I know NVCP detects my installed games, but why? To load a game profile with the best options set? If it´s the case, then Im loosing performance on that games without loading the games profile or not?

5. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    wut?
    Well, it does if u want..u also can manually add ur games..

Theres no perf loss at all..also, its good that there are profiles..so u can have diff settings for diff games..
    Also theres a good reason for those profiles,(that u also would use without the Control Panel) they fix errors or improve teh perf of the games..

u could also use NVinspector for an rather advanced setup for the profiles..

U WILL NOT LOOSE PERFORMANCE AT ALL...
    The control panel is only loaded and open when u open it to set it up..when u close it its gone..so no loss at all..

i couldnt live without the panel..
    i need it to setup stuff liek my custom resolutions, wher ephysx needs to be used if cpu or gpu, minor video settings, Display settings, like TV/HD. black levels, rgb, y4cbla bla..

and theres more u wont have without it..

For the main settings, like i sayd above i use teh normal NV panle..for my games i only use NVInspector to setup my game profiles for best quality and perf..cause it has more options etc..

NONE of these apps/tools need to run in teh baclground while gaming..
    Just open em, set it up. save and close..Jop done...

-BetA-

Edit:

Cons and Pros:

No NVPanel ---> Lot of cons
    With NVPanel ---> no cons, all the Pros..

really, its as simple as that..teh times where these panel where better not installed is way behind us.. ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    doesnt the driver already have the profiles? NVCP is just to change the options (for those detected games)

7. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Yes and I don't think NVCP can be de-selected during install anyways. Perhaps he's talking about the device manager method which is somewhat broken ever since NVIDIA decided to package the control panel in a separate installer.

8. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Member

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK

Yes, the NVCP can be de-selected in install, even in the last driver version.

9. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    using it not going to hurt you in anyways....:)

10. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Not for me in 306.23, so maybe we found a bug (or the option is only available on specific systems).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

11. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Member

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK
    Once you installed, I believe it cannot be de-selected. You can "de-select" when you dont have it already installed in your system, what is my case.

12. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Alright, I don't think I can on my system, but I seem to remember it elsewhere.

Also, I tried custom -> clean install, and there was no option to de-select the nvidia control panel. Not that I would do that anyway, just sayin', it all seems a bit strange (since clean install is supposed to remove previous installation first).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I think its possible if you delete this file from installer, not sure though i never had a thought not to install nvcpl.
    [​IMG]

14. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Maybe so. The control panel is pretty essential for me, so like you I don't really find removing it a concern.

It used to be device manager method would only install the basic graphics driver, but I think NVIDIA has recently worked to improve that.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes for me too, i freaked out once because it didnt install :D