inscreasing the screen refreash rate?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by asskicker, Jun 29, 2007.

1. asskicker

asskicker New Member

Well I've read the stickies and I can't seem to find help so I'll just ask. My 22" monitor only supports 1680x1050 with 60 hertz and I want to increase it to 75 herts with rivatuner. But I don't know:
    -Is it safe to inscrease it to 75?
    -How do I increase it with rivatuner anyway? (sorry, inexperienced)
    oh and I have 8800 gts 640mb
    Thank you for your help

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    quite simply.... it can't be done. LCD's only support 1680x1050 at 60hz... don't think you'll find one that supports a faster refresh. if there was a way to set it higher.... it either just wouldn't work, or could possibly damage the monitor, hence why 60hz is the only supported refresh rate at that high a resolution.

why do you want 75hz anyway?

3. asskicker

asskicker New Member

because 60 refresh rates look like crap to my eyes.
    isn't there a way to increase it with rivatuner?
    is it safe?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No way. You cannot set unsupported refresh rates with RT.

5. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Man, 60 Hz refresh rate is crap on a CRT monitor. Do a Google search and you'll find out that lcd don't have the CR problem in this respect, different technology.

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i always find it funny when people say that 60hz looks like crap. highly doubt you'd be able to see the difference between 60hz and 75hz.... and even if you could.... LCD's don't flicker due to the fact that the pixels don't dim anywhere near as fast as CRT's. If someone was saying that 60hz on a CRT looked like a**, then i could see that being true.... but not on an LCD.

As it's been said by both Unwinder and I, it cannot be done. you'll either have to deal with the 60hz that you say looks like crap, get a CRT, or run your monitor at 1440x900 where 75hz is supported.

7. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    If you want high refresh rates, stay away from LCDs altogether since LCD's do not refresh the picture using scanlines - they refresh each pixel independently.
    If the limited framerates using VSync is your problem, then I suggest you disable VSync and try coping with the tearing problem.
    A lot of gamers are still sticking to "obsolete" CRT displays for a reason (the same guys are also impatiently wating for SED and OLED displays to finally become available)