1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innodisk makes ddr3-adapter for M.2 SSDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, you read that right, a DDR3 Memory adapter for M.2. SSDs ?!  Innodisk is a manufacturer for memory and storage products as many of you know. Now if you'd use NAND flas as system memory then a ...

Innodisk makes ddr3-adapter for M.2 SSDs

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    ^ Boss is right, this is just retarded.
    - sacrificing memory slots just as means to power and place this somewhere in PC case.
    - having to wire it to SATA3 port anyway, gaining no benefits of m.2

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    [​IMG]

It looks pretty complex for a simple power adaptor.

4. dj_aris

dj_aris New Member

GPU:
    GT 650M 1GB DDR5
    Hey the other way around would be much more interesting! Imagine a 16GB DDR3 so-dimm (if such a large module does exist) in a 4-lane M.2 adapter. That would easily reach - I don't know - maybe the whole 4x 32GBps? :)

No actually usability for most of us but still would be fun I guess.

5. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    it would be interesting if it had direct memory access through the memory bus, to put data blocks in there at ddr2200 bus speeds over the 64b width path, but that seems unlikely ...

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Why not just get the power from a SATA power plug... too obvious? What about including a molex to SATA power plug? It it were data capable it would make sense being in DDR3, but since it's only power. Wouldn't it have the possibility of compatibility issues with certain motherboards, since the DDR3 slots aren't really meant to be used in this fashion?

7. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I guess they are doing it just because they can? So their name will be in the news.
    Because seriously... why? It's bottlenecked anyway. Perhaps it's for those that don't have any PCIe slots available.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC
    I bet they're using DDR3 for data transfer, and SATA port is just for detection/boot/other compatibility-related stuff.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    @thatguy91
    I've been sharing the same thoughts. I also wonder how this would work if your RAM voltage was higher or lower than average.

For someone like myself who doesn't have a M.2 slot and spare RAM slots, this would be fine for me to use, if the price is right. But I don't get it, isn't M.2 slightly based on PCIe? Why not just make a PCIe card to accept M.2? Then you get both your power source and a faster, direct connection. Put it on a ribbon cable and you can slip it by a dual-slot GPU.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Too true, we know the principle works because of Revodrive, and it wouldn't infringe on any patents regarding Revodrive either (assumingly).

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    The way I see it they made M2 ssd possible on older mobos

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    so Innodisk can make an M2 adapter the size of a DDR3 dimm so why the fruck is asus's x4 card so freakin huge

13. fusion

fusion Active Member

GPU:
    6850hd radeon / 1GB
    Less cables, that's about all I come up with.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man with the standard motherboards with 4 DIMM slots I don't see how useful this would be considering that many would give up one DIMM slot with one of these unless they are only using only 2 slots and it does not disable the dual channel memory mode. But with the Extreme boards that support Quad channel kits I can see those people possibility of them using this because they have 8 RAM slots.

15. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX970
    I can only see one market for this and is the POS market, for getting things tidy inside tiny spaces.

16. BedantP

BedantP Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 960 1500Mhz/2009Mhz
    DDR3 slots? Only for POWER? The only advantage is Less cables.... Cables wouldn't be noticeable if the Case is Opaque..... So it makes almost no sense except for use in MOBOS without CASE.....

Really POS.... :) :bang:

Who uses older MOBOS?
    And even no support for Notebooks....
    POS

:bang: :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014