Inner reading voice.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Xbrain, May 25, 2011.

1. mandex

mandex Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Even if you aren't specially fluent with a language your able to think/read with selfspeak

But in reading, you should in fact avoid that. The more you supress the voice, the less time you spend 'saying' words and you can read faster.

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This, I used to do that. Now that I figured out how to bypass that need of saying the words I can skim really quickly.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    When reading it depends on the type of book. If it's fictional I often find myself giving individual characters their own voices without at first realising. I tend to find it very easy to lose myself in a book, while I'm processing words I often find myself lost in the world itself. The imagery and people. I suppose that's why reading is my favourite entertainment format - compared to movies and even games.

4. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    I'd love to hear everything I read in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    i have no inner voice.....i was an early reader ,consumed my father's library by the age of 11
    and he had books..
    i developed a strange fast reading style,nobody believed that i was actually reading,i was accused of flipping pages,but i was able to say in very detail what was on those pages
    scared my parents..i was allowed to merely a book a week///
    i speak my native language,i speak fluently spanish,and a rusty english...
    but in my head i am thinking in 3 different languages.....lately i kept dreaming in spanish , used english for profanity and chat with wife in our native language.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  6. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Symbolic reading may also happen to me. But can't do that with scientific stuff like programming. Only usual things.

As you might know this kind of reading doesn't care about letters' order inside a word. you only need the first and the last. The brain reconstructs words from context.

ex: "I jsut pohned my moethr."

I'm not very effective at reading voiceless. But I do think "silently" :).

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i just cant hear a voice, i just... read it, for both english and spanish

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Finnish, however I do think in English sometimes. When I read English I don't really need to translate it in to Finnish anymore.

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I tried reading a book about Helsinki, but wasn't able to Finnish it :banana: