Inner reading voice.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Xbrain, May 25, 2011.

1. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Hello fellow gurus !

Out of curiosity I would like to know if some of are used to read with someone else's voice. I mean your inner voice.

Hope it's clear... I have difficulties finding a better description.

I ask this because nobody I met does yet. I'm a natural bilingual, raised in spanish and learned french afterwards. I can speak, think and dream in french, spanish and english when i spend enough time with one tongue.

I don't know if that's related.

2. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    If the text matches a voice I know's style of speech or uses recognisable phrases or visual hints then I can automatically start using their voice.

For most reading I use my own but don't really notice it as I'm processing the meaning of the text.

3. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    An exemple:
    when I was at school, if the math teacher was mr x then I would naturaly read my math notes with his voice :)

Sometimes I simply switch with another's person voice when I study. It's easier to get concentrated with the voice of a pretty girl than my own :p.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My ex was Swedish, but with a Finnish father, so she was fluent in both those languages as well as English, and she used to say she thought in the language of whatever country she was in.

Its alien to me though, as i barely speak one language lol, but my internal voice is actually alot more polite than my actual voice.

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Although I'm an American, Sometimes I like to think in Canadian.

lol, actually, if I've been reading for a long period of time, I'll start doing dramatic British accents.This second part isn't a wise crack like above- I really do this.Something along the lines of Orson Wells doing Shakespeare.Even if the story is incredible,long reads can get monotonous.If I do the voice thing for a while, it's as good as taking a break.

6. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    if i find the dialog boring in a book i throw in a accent makes it more interesting :)

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Yeah. Well, not with someones elses voice, but in english yeah. Some expressions are easier to say/think in english than in spanish (less words). Since thinking is faster than speaking, i just think it in the fastest way possible, wich sometimes its an english expression.

Wich its something a little strange since i dont speak english fluently, but i can "pronuntiate" things pretty well with my "inner voice". Not so much speaking, but i also speak generally bad in spanish anyway lol Sometimes i say half the words that i intend to for example. So maybe its that im just bad at "on live" communication :) Wich is also strange since i always had "little above average" writing skills in school (and writing short stories in another forum, in spanish of course).

8. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I read with patrick stewarts voice.

Not really but that would be sweet.
    I slow-read in the voice i hear when i speak.
    I don't have an inner voice when i speed-read though. i tend to just get the information without having to mentally sound it out. i see words as recognizable images.
    When i read "sound" i don't hear the word, but rather i just think of it's meaning.

I slow read as i type, so i type in the voice i hear as i speak.

If you record your own voice and play it back, you never sound the way you think you do.

9. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    whatever you ppl smoke, me wants

10. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Sometimes when i watch things like Red Letter Media - Plinkett Reviews and once when i saw a L Ron Hubbard documentary, i found myself thinking in their voices.

Reading or inner voice doesn't change. I expect it may be because you can speak multiple languages which i really respect and wish i paid attention in French class.

The inner voice and the minds eye are really fascinating to me, i think it's quite a remarkable thing. It makes me wonder if animals have anything even like it, surely they must have something.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm Norwegian and my mother tongue is Norwegian, yet, I very often find myself thinking in English. This has been happening for at least 7 years. I thought I was going nuts, but upon further investigation I've found that it's not uncommon among young Norwegians who spend a lot of time reading/writing/listening/talking English.

Not good.

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    More like that its not uncommon for anyone who spends lots of times with any other language.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Strangely my inner voice often thinks in English. My native language is Dutch. Probably because I picked up alot of English as a kid. Started watching movies with subtitles from the very day I learned the alphabet . On top of that my parents knew people in England who often came over.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    i do think in english/finnish and at times i go japanese -.-

15. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's a bitch to read LOTR nowadays.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Another annoying thing lately:

When you say a number like sixtytwo in dutch it's upside down. Twee├źnzestig as in Two and Sixty. Now I often say the dutch number wrong, swapping them upside down again...

17. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Wow thanks a lot for all those replies. Very interresting stuff.

You all got different experiences than mine and it's very interresting to compare.

I agree that numbers are a special case. I have more difficulties counting in another language than French.

"building requires 323 lumber" I would usually read :
    building requires 'trois cent vingt trois' lumber.
    After a while : building requires 'three hundred twenty three' lumber.
    After a biiiig while : building requires 'three twenty three' lumber.

Not easy to change grammar when thinking of more complicated things.

18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    all in perfect english~

if i know the character is supposed to have an accent i put that on too

the voice is like an ideal version of mine

19. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    My inner reading voice is Columbo, damn annoying scruffy bar-stuard won't leave me to my books.

20. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX770Classi/BenQ XL2720z
    I typically don't hear a voice when i read unless it's from an established character that I've seen in a movie/tv show. Like when I read The Stand after having seen the movie. They all had the same looks/voices they did in the movie, which I think is actually pretty cool, but it can sometimes ruin a book as well.