Ingame Flickering After upgrading GPU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tatz, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Tatz

Tatz Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560Ti
    Hello

Intel core 2 quad q9550 2,83 ghz
    4 gig ram ddr2 800mhz
    Club Gtx 560Ti
    Asus p5ql pro motherboard
    windows 7 32bit

I upgraded my video card to a Gtx560Ti (old one gtx260). When I start a game I see flicker or waves coming from down the sreen and moving up, These are constant in games. Everything looks fine in the desktop and movies works normally. Then I put back my old card Games looked Normal again, everything worked fine. I returned the card to the shop becuase I thought that it was a faulty card and I got a new one. But same problem with the new card. I borrowed a freinds 750watt PSU with no luck.(he just bought the same GPU as i did but everything works fine for him)

I have tried to Update drivers, tried older drivers, uninstalled drivers and then installing them again. The game Starcraft 2 is working really badly. When i have the game in windowed mode and then running task manager next to the game i see Starcraft 2 Not responding every 5 sec, So my Fps drops down to about 2 every 5 sec ingame and i get a huge lagg spike. I have also tried switching monitors but no luck there. I noticed that it's really just in games and in a Stress test i tried. When i have Starcraft 2 Windowed and i Alt+tab out everything works great, but when i alt+tab ingame again the waves are back...Vertical sync fixes the "flickering" a little bit in some games but it never eliminates them. Note that everything starts working perfecly when i put back my old video card. I have tested about 10 different games and they all have the same problem. I have tried finding someone on the Intrenet with the same problem and i found a couple threads with somewhat similar but no fix, or just the replys Update drivers...

Also tried alot of drifferent settings in nvidia control panel. I would make a Fraps video or screenshot of the problem but there's another problem.The "flickering waves" are not visible in the frapsed videos or screenshots. Everything seems to be working fine on the video.

Hope I get it working soon, 240 € is alot of money for me..:bang:
    I hope someone is willing to Read through this Wall of text. Thanks in advance.

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If the driver worked fine when you put your old 260, try uninstalling the driver while the 260 is still plugged.
    Restart when being told to, and then turn it off.
    Replace the 260 with the 560, turn your PC back on but boot to Safe Mode.
    Go to Device Manager, uninstall the 'Standard Video Adapter' (or something like that) under 'Display adapters'.
    After it's gone, refresh your Device Manager (by right-clicking your computer name and 'Scan for hardware changes').
    When another 'Standard video adapter' shows up (installed fine), restart your PC.
    Install the driver again and see whether that fixes things or not.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you tried a different display cable ?

Reason I ask is if the flickering is not visible on screenshots or videos, it is usually somewhere between the cable and the monitor, and as you have changed monitors....

But I know people who have cured problems with the 560Ti by giving the voltage a very small increase

4. Tatz

Tatz Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560Ti
    Thanks for your fast replys, I tried what k1net1cs said but no luck there. I could try changing the cable but I don't think thats going to make a difference as I just tried to use my old card for the third time and yes. It doe's work as it should. So if everything works great with the old card and not with the new card It's not likely to be the cable, Im gonna try it though, But thank you for your reply :)

5. Hemectu

Hemectu Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    Sounds like the card is bad. You can try adjusting voltages but if the card is new I'd contact the store you bought it from and see if they will send you a new one.

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    With your new card installed and seated properly,uninstall the drivers in the normal way, re-boot, and then let Windows install a driver for you. Once you see that the card is recognized and working,you can install newer drivers as you normally would. That way,windows will install anything that may be missing to recognize the card.

7. Tatz

Tatz Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560Ti
    Hemectu, I don't think they gave me 2 faulty cards. I returned the first one and got a new one and it has exacly the same problem.

ESlik, Done that about 3-4 times now with no result.

It could ofc be a bad card but whats the odds that i get 2 with the same problem.Thanks anyways.

8. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i changed nearly everything on my pc(including monitor) to figure this one out, and didnt find solution untill lately someone posted it here in guru

get ungrounded extension cord for ur display power

9. Tatz

Tatz Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560Ti
    whaat ? ungrounded extension cord for ur display power ? What kind of problems did you have ? Is it somewhat similar or does it sound like exacly the same. Please tell me what kind of Cord that is and how it helps. Thank you for your reply :)

10. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    horizontal waves going down on screen that u cant capture for screenshot, normal people dosnt even notise em, but they appear with increased gpu/fps/power usage

looks bit like what u see on movies/tv when theres old crt with low refreshrate on it.

ungrounded is just opposite for grounded, donno what kind of outlets u have where u live... but i find pic for u

ungrounded
    [​IMG]

grounded
    [​IMG]

btw they appeared in both LCD and CRT displays with different vid cards tested and this was only fix that worked

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

11. Tatz

Tatz Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560Ti
    Tried it and sadly it didn't work. It's not the monitor im pretty sure. Since it works normally in the Desktop. The "waves" only appear ingame. If I start a game the waves are there and when i tab out they dissapear, tab back in, there again...