Information About Refresh Rate on WinXP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by 3DGuy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. 3DGuy

3DGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB 8x TV-
    Well.. for years now I've been a casual gamer but still I still lack the knowledge on what the "refresh rate" issue is on Windows XP all about.

I mean, yeah what about it? In WinME there's Optimal refresh rate... but what's the difference? I know refresh rates toggle the limit of FPS when Vsync is ON but I always turn it off.. so what's the deal?

Up to know I haven't applied any refresh rate progs to fix it cause I don't seem to have problems with it. If there is enough information for you to tell me, please tell me.

I know refresh rates has something to do with FPS and the human eye, maybe.. I'm missing something REALLY big. :rolleyes:

2. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

what I remember about refresh rate with xp is in the windows enviroment the refresh rate is what it was set to be in display settings. but once you went into a dx or opengl game it was 60hz there was a patch if I remember right that fixed the dx end, but not the open gl. IMO it was a way of M$ taking a shot at opengl, the codeers openly admitted it was a small error they forgot to fix. Any of the fix's you d/l here at g3d should fix the opengl/dx refreshrate fix.

3. Corrion

Corrion Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS
    There's a health issue behind all this also. After looking at your monitor for a long time, say an hour, your eyes will strain. This is the primary reason why your eyesight will get worse. Same thing with watching TV for so long, since its refresh rate is also around 60Hz. Upping the refresh rate to 85Hz will not completely eliminate the chance that you'll become near-sighted, but it won't be as worse.