Info Zone - gEngines, Ray Tracing, DLSS, DLAA, TSR, FSR, XeSS, DLDSR etc.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by OnnA, Sep 22, 2021.

1. goma

goma Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    DLSS 2.5.1 plus old sharpen (0.30/0.40) @1440p it’s very crisp and comparable to DLDSR 1.78x but with a lot of fps gained.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    eGGroLLiO and Mega260 like this.
  2. wanderjahr

wanderjahr Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    DlssMipLevelBias = NativeBias + log2(Render XResolution / Display XResolution) - 1.0 + epsilon

In Witcher 3 4.0 I'm trying to adjust the TextureMipBias=-1 to account for DLSS which it currently does not

the default value for my settings 1440p balanced DLSS looks like this

-1+log2((1485X835)/(2560X1440))-1 but I need the epsilon value to round out the formula. What is epsilon?

Basically I just need -3.5719 + epsilon to determine what to set my mip bias at to resolve the blurry textures.

I allowed negative LOD bias in the nvidia control panel and kept it high quality but I wanna zero in on the correct value as per Nvidia's recommendation

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm amazed how good dlss performance looks with 2.5.1 even at 1440p. looking at its internal resolution it shouldn't be possible, I tried it before on 2.3.9 and it looked very poor. Now it's almost indistinguishable from what balanced looked like on 2.3.9. in cyberpunk, and 20% faster. I'm getting fps numbers in mid-60s with all rt turned on.

pharma, OnnA and SpajdrEX like this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Yeah, people often underestimate how okayish DLSS Performance can still look if the game has clean graphics/effects otherwise. Also Spiderman games are ok with 2.5.1 Performance (+CAS). Big advantage over FSR 2, where Performance mode is already pretty trashy (+issues with 2D effects etc. even at 100% resolution).

pharma, OnnA and SpajdrEX like this.
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    DLSS performance is officially recommended for 1440p by Nvidia. It scales from the same resolution as quality mode in 1080p (720p).

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Karambir and pharma like this.
  8. John Eisberg

John Eisberg Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 4090 OC
  9. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    this is 1440p dlss performance with 0 sharpening.
    incredible what they're doing with this technology, this is running 720p internal resolution. there is no shimmer at all too.
    uploading this in HQ
    https://ibb.co/M1bT0n7

Karambir and Mega260 like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    Looks blurry with 0 sharpening and so low resolution.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    looks fine to me and offers a big (20%) performance increase even over balanced.
    you want blurry look at fsr 2.1 performance mode, it's absolutely horrific
    dlss performance with 2.5.1 dll has more small detail and looks just as sharp (if not sharper) than fsr 2.1 quality :eek: in stills and in motion, fsr has noticeable shimmer.
    https://imgsli.com/MTQ3MjU1

the difference in performance is vast, fsr q can't lock 60 at full gpu load, dlssp does that with 75% gpu load.

pharma and OnnA like this.
  12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I can now lock 60 with rtgi on psycho and dlss auto (mix of perf/balanced depending on the scene) but fsrq can't lock 60 with rtgi medium and has less detail than dlssp

Imgsli

fsr 2.1 might appear sharper on some near objects like the grass, but that comes at the cost of shimmer even with no sharpening.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    sorry for not editing previous posts but edit button doesn't work for me for some reason
    the more hq comparisoins I make between 2.5.1 dlss performance vs fsr 2.1 quality, the better it looks for dlss
    in fsr q mode details aren't being reconstructed (look at the ladder), there's more aliasing and fuziness and in gameplay there's shimmer even with no sharpen at all.

Imgsli

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    It's a terrible FSR 2 implementation, lots of shimmering in still scenes once again. Looks like crap vs. FSR 2 mod in several games.
    Though I don't notice any progress with DLSS 2.5.1. vs. 2.3.9 in Performance mode. You also still need to disable bloom to fix the abysmal blinding issue.

15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Maybe it wasn't 2.3.9 but I do remember dlss balanced looking worse than performance does now.
    Might have been game's original dll that only looked okay-ish on quality.

16. oneoulker

oneoulker Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    To me, honestly I prefer 4K/DLSS performance. It is the absolute preem way of viewing games. No amount of DLSS quality at 1440p (not even DLAA, which uses DLSS at 1440p as the AA) comes close to what 4K/DLSS performance is capable of. Its gotta be something to do with that sweet "4K LODs and assets" thing.

Sadly VRAM is a huge limitation in that. I'd even accept playing all games at 30 FPS if it meant I wouldn't be troubled by VRAM. Sadly, 8 GB VRAM chokes huge time in Witcher 3 with ray tracing, tanking from 35-40s to 15s-20s. Also had similar huge drops in Spiderman and A Plague Tale with max textures. Then comes the problem of "tad bit below max textures". They look absolutely UGLY and horrible compared to the maximum textures. As if, no amount of care or "interest" given to those so called "high" textures. Anything below ultra textures in a plague tale, RDR 2 and spiderman look absolute dogshit. Like, quite literally dogshit. And all they get you is a couple hundreds of megs that most likely will not be enough to save you from the VRAM limitation area. it is so funny to me.

I'm absolutely fine with the BASE, unhindered performance of the 3070. I'm a gamer who is okay with STABLE and even 35-45 FPS. Sadly, VRAM is a huge hindrance to this. GPU flies very fast at 1440p/dlss qua/balanced but sadly I cannot bring myself to love the IQ. It just... resembles something great, instead of looking like the actual thing (being great).

I hope 4070 won't cost a kidney and comes packed with 12 GB vram or something. But then NVIDIA started these new low bit bus stuff where GPU performance also gets crushed under 4K. Maybe I should go big and freaking get a 4080 or something.

Only saving grace I have is that I got this GPU with crap amounts of VRAM for very cheap.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    not surprising at all @oneoulker, same way as 1440p dlss performance looks better than 1080p native.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I don't know, I can still spot most of the artifacts even with DLSS Q on a native 4k screen. DLAA is said to get updated soon, I find it to already look better than 4xDSR + DLSS P. The latter also has absurd overhead vs. DLAA on my 3060, it's 61 vs. 97fps in Skyrim SE.

19. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Try finding 3080 12gb at the decent price. That's what I did and sold off 3060ti and I could not be happier. The only downside is the power consumption, takes roughly 20% more power at the same settings and the same framerate cap than 3060ti did (both undervolted). I don't trust that those bandwidth starved cards won start to show up issues down the line.

oneoulker likes this.
  20. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Dlss 2- isn't really ml/ai upscaling anymore- I mean the Turing dlss was actual ml up-scaling right how they trained each game on 16k images on supercomputers so now its just taa upgraded? Is that why AMD was able to do fsr 2 and it gets close? I tried to run FF15 demo on my 3080FE and it won't I never got to see the actual ai/ml version of DLSS and that was the last version of it I believe-does anyone know why it doesn't work anymore? Thanks