Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Felix

Felix Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Question: I got a AV8 Motherboard and Im not quite sure if it uses Dual Channel. The Ram slots are paired this way.

DarkBlue-DarkBlue-LightBlue-LightBlue

I have my Memory (See on the right) on the Dark Blue Slots (Both sticks) and I have the Light Blue slots open.

From my old computer I have 2 sticks of 215 MB of Ram each. PC2100U-25330.

Tell me if I can do Dual Channel in these settings and with this memory.

(From what Ive read, the Memory is incompatible if Im not mistaken)

EDIT:

Picture of Motherboard here

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/AV8Review/fullboard.JPG

2. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    You need to use 4 sticks that match if you want to use all four slots
    if you want to use two , then its 2 sticks that match in #1 and #2

That ram from your older motherboard pc2100 is a no go its not at all fast enough for your 64 bit CPU .

3. aldo123

aldo123 Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 295
    newbie here, running the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum with 1 gig of Kingston DDR400 memory on 2 sticks, i was wondering if i could run faster ram on this mobo, or if u believe this is the max mem for the mobo?

4. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    If you want to overclock you can use something faster but at stok speeds 400MHZ is the top speed we have on CPU as it stands.

5. MB-A7N8X-E deluxe + 2x256 Ballistix+512 Corsair..?

Hi !
    I have a A7N8X-E deluxe MB and it has a dual channel.
    I am using 2 x 256 Crucial Ballistix ddr400 (2-2-2-6 2,8V 32Megx64)
    and 512 Corsair Platinum series CMX 512-3200 C2PT CL2
    (2,5-3-3-6)
    I ahve set 2 crucials on the same colour blue DIMM's and hope they 'll go as DUAL channel , but even not it 's better
    1G ram than 512 dual isn't it..?

And most important is what latency to use..if I set it manually
    in BIOS...? By the way CPU is only Athlon 2400 (2x133)
    266FSB.

I cant find explanation in latency like 2-2-2-6 what numbers mean..? is it ... tRAS-tRCD-CAS-tRP....? or not

6. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Tras is the 6 and then the last one will be cas now be carefull with that because if you set to tight low numbers meaning tight you wont post ( boot ) let the bios choose and look at what it gives you most motherboards had a few preset options for RAM speeds that you could flick through to look at. Yes 1 gig of RAM is very nice now days with the ways things are we will be needing 2 GIGs soon enough.

Peace

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
    how much faster that dual channel is in real life? not in benchmarks.

8. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I have been using DC boards now for over 2 years , All I can say is when you have the choice and are buying a motherboard it is not going to cost anything more and the ram unless you go buy high end for overclocking is the exact same ram , you do not need to buy "kits" or "matched" as long as it is the same speed and brand it works most all the time.

How much faster dont know really dont care just know that it works really well and its what is out there now.

peace

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
    I see u have same chipset as I have... Do u wanna make FPS test for me?
    and loading lest´s aaand benchmark tests??

10. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well as it is we have setups that are close cept I have the barton 3200+ the MSI 256mb card and 1 gig of pc3200 ram at 400mhz my benchies will be slightly higher then yours its normal.

What area do you test or improve ....what are you looking to do is what I am asking?

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
    Mostly i woud want to know does it help get more fps in games.

I play mostly OpenGL FPS games and realtime strategy games.

That OpenGL speed woud be nice to know.. Even now i get my computer down with Enemy territory.

If i see 4+ FPS or more then Ill go to store and buy that expencive 512mb more.. If there is "nothing" then ill buy it in next century:)

12. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well what settings are you using in ET because that is not a game that has graphics worth talking about I mean compared to DOOM 3 or Farcry that is...what FPS are you getting at what settings ?

Might be something else that is not quite right here because I get as high as 330FPS in COD and it is never lower than 140 FPS no matter what I am doing in that game, of course its all about settings and such most everything I play and that is all the games you can think of , DOOM 3 , Farcry, Painkiller, Max Payne 2 , Rome Total War , NFSU2 , Nascar 2003 , NHL 2005 and many many more , Halo , LOTR , KOTOR ...... and such all run like water out of a glass on this setup... so give me some idea of the settings your using please.

13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
    4xAA and 8xAF 1024x768. monitor can handle more but 60hz eyekiller:D

U shod use very low like 640x480 resolution, so there is no CPU/GPU holding results at all.. It tells alot better how much memory,board works.

14. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Ok I just went and loaded ET I used to play often I set it to 1280 x 1024 trilinear , high details , high whatever else I saw and my drivers are set to vsync off 2 x aa 4 x af with FAPS I get a steady 85-95 FPS very very playable because no spikes or huge drops which is what causes the problems on any game. If you can get a "steady" FPS then any game is very playable.

15. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    SO what FPS is this giving you and how about vsync? Download "FRAPS" and see how steady your frames are , in that game the AA and AF dont really need to be all that high its not a great looking game and because it is total mayhem you dont have time to care about the finer looking edges of the granade that your throwing LOL

Try vsync off 2 aa 4 af with FRAPS running see what you get then try 2 aa 2 af see what that does ...... remember one thing that is an older title and not really a game that can work the kind of hardware your video really handles ( ie Farcry Doom 3 ) the real titles

16. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I tried the game at lowest settings and its slower LOL this is what I really was expecting see our hardware is made to run at high settings , high resoultions, I set it at 4 aa 8 af x 1024 x 768 and its fluid and smooth at FPS 65- 75 average this is right on par with lower aa and af and a higher resolution I get a little higher rates.

I have seen this in benchmarks on the web where cards like ours seems to spring into life after 1024 x 768 .. we see benchmarks most using 1280 x 1024 and higher this is what our cards are made for ...

I would think most any game at 2 x AA and 4 x AF is gonna look really smooth and combine that with 1280 x 1024 and an FPS off anything over 40 steady there is no game in the world that is not perfectly playable.

I am not saying 40 FPS is all you can expect I am saying any game that you can run at a FPS steady over 40 and the settings we are talking about is going to be great.

I think you need a moniter that can handle 1280 x 1024 at 100 MHZ for a start and yes 1 gig of Ram is great no doubts about that.

17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1070 mobile
    After army i have chance to even think about new monitor..no money.

PS: I have 15" monitor and it can show 1600x1200:D Wanna buy? LOL
    Very old one.

But I´ll go buy that another memory when i get back from army..next friday maybe.

18. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Cool I am sure it will help loading times and such and it should help smooth out your games a little.

peace

19. Mother Fo

Mother Fo Guest

Question

Ok I have the k8t800 pro asus mobo and I have 2 corsairs 512s (with leds) in dual channel mode now say I buy 2 more things of it and put them in filling the 4 slots I'll now have 2 gbs but will they still be in dual channel mode?

20. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

Yes from what I see on the ASUS website like most boards with 4 slots your good to go