Info on AGP slots and their voltage

Discussion in 'Links' started by Glidefan, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    AGP Slots

I bought a new ATI Radeon 9000 Video card ,installed and set my BIOS to 4X for AGP......it came up 2X in Windows XP Home in Control Panel (Catalyst 3.4).......Updated to ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and didn't change anything in the bios except for removal and reinstallation of new Catalyst drivers and Control Panel came up with 4X........does the AGP slot auto-configure for voltage.....not likely......explain that please....thanks

2. ViRuS

ViRuS Guest

Yeah i have been fighting the voltage war with my ATi. Tonight when i get off work i will bump it to 1.7 and see if that works it lasted longer with it at 1.6 than it did at 1.5. I also had to do this before on my soyo MOBO. Now that i go tthsi sweet epox i need to get it right ......it was crashing after 5 minuted of star wars galaxies. now at 1.6 it take 40+ minutes. so i will up the voltage again and see if that fixes it........Anyother ideas? i have the current drivers....Directx 9.0b, and fresh instlal of windows. So i am jsut curious where to go i dont want to bump it to 1.8 but i will if i have too....i think i will inderclock it and see if that helps.

3. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Overclocking a 9700 Pro

WHY, WHY, WHY are you overclocking a 9700 Pro ???............do you know what the PRO means.......it means already optimised for increased performance.........if you are having problems with overclocking than go back to the original 1.5 Volts......as the saying goes........." If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

4. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    he isnt even sayn he is Overclocking it :rolleyes: he is inderclocking it (think he meant underclocking it) :)

5. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI AIW X800 AGP 2 Monitors
    I had the same problem with my 9700 Pro. The only thing that fixed it was a 9800. But then my system would not boot at times saying the external power plug was not connected to the 9800. I moved the source to branch directly off of the power supply and that fixed that.

Apparently these boards need lots of power.

6. ViRuS

ViRuS Guest

yeah underclock :p sorry i get in a hurry and mistype sometimes.......I am out off ideas fo rmy 9700 i guess it will take a via chipset instead of this nforce 2

7. T-Rave

T-Rave Guest

I have a Tyan Tachyon 9700 Pro and it would get very hot in a hurry and set off the alarm on the card. So I checked the BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-DX7+ and noticed I had the AGP voltage set to 1.6. I have NORMAL, 1.6, and 1.7 settings. I set it to NORMAL, hooked the power from the card directly to the PS (did have it branching off the HD), disabled FastWrites, and now it runs stable and I can overclock the mess out of it Not sure if I could use a different combination of the AGP and enable FastWrites but for now it's running great so I probably won't bother with it. I do think it had a alot to do with the power. Allowing it to have uninterrupted power from the power supply makes more sense to me as to why it's now stable. Like someone said, these faster .15u cards need a lot of juice to power them.

8. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Have you all, who have problems, tried plugging the power cable dircetly from the power supply? Or did you just plug it from the HDD?

9. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    I am now developing artifacts on the screen with my 9800 Pro as well as some other problems. I decided to monitor the voltages. All are stable except for Vcore which jumps from 1.55 to 1.65. At this level that is a big change approaching 10%.

I checked the BIOS and the Vcore is set at the lowest setting of 1.55. I checked my other computer and it is set at 1.65.

I wonder if the low voltage and the instability is causing problems. What is the correct voltage for an Intel P4 3.06 GHz with 533 FSB?

Thanks

10. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    Well the artifacts aren't from the Vcore too high..Are you OC'n the video card? Artifacts are nornally caused by a overheating video card .. try to touch the video card heat sink after running say 3dmark for a while and if its real HOT to the touch if it is there is a problem..if its not hot at all reseating it might help.What kind of psu are you using too? If you vcore is fluctuating alot 10% ..is alot I believe..the psu might be busted or might not be able to handle the load your putting on it..

Thunda

11. I just found this on the net
    "Gigabyte GA-8IR533
    The GA-8IR533 is the latest evolution of the 845D motherboard, based on the Intel(r) 845 chipset and is available with 3 DIMM slots supporting up to 2GB DDR266/200 for the high-volume and mainstream DDR memory solution.

Designed to offer the most useful and powerful platform, the GA-8IR533 integrates with 5 PCI slots to support PCI 2.2 compliant peripherals, 4 USB ports to provide up-to-date features, an integrated 6 channels AC97 audio for high-quality audio performance and EZ-Fix AGP 4X (only 1.5V) slot for easy installation and disassembly of AGP cards with unbeatable protection from damages."

1.5v for my AGP...that sounds bad
    new mobo?
    new power supply?
    do i need 8x agp?
    im gettin terrible fps.
    Ive read somewhere that my 9800 pro 128 can juice over 200 fps a second in ut2003, and im having trouble hitting a constant 50.
    this sucks so bad.
    worst yet, ive updated my bios and theres NOTHING about voltage.
    In power settings, theres only stuff about memory frequency and such. Changing these seems dangerous and I don't know what to change them to.
    Someone help me please.
    Id love to fix this
    Id love to change my voltage, or whatever would help
    but my fecking gigabyte wont let me

12. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    I always like ASUS MBs but hear Intel's are good too. Each MB has its own BIOS and the combination dertermines what you can change. If I were getting a new MB I would get 8X. I would not worry about the absolute AGP voltage as it seems to be changed automatically for your card. Having the ability to change the AGP voltage is important.

It concerns me that this has only 3 DIMM slots. Perhaps I do not understand it but if you are using DDR memory then 2 slots double the speed so 133 (200) becomes 266 (400) and then the MB must have dual channel which doubles the speed again to become 533(800). This cannot be done with 3 slots unless you do not use the 3rd slot. This makes me wonder if the MB has dual channel.

I have found it useful to take one power out lead from the power supply and run it directly without anything else on it to the AGP external power adaptor.

Last, I could never get ATI's 9700 to work properly. The 9800 burned out after a few months. After checking it with another 9800 the heatsink is hot enough to burn your finger with the system at idle. I believe the 9800 is undercooled. If you have one then you may wish to increase your cooling but be careful you do not void your warrenty. Perhaps an internal fan directed at the card would help.

If I were to buy a high end card I would go with nVidia although I am thinking about ATI's soon to be released 9600 Pro AIW as it is the first AIW card to support 2 CRT monitors and it should be more stable and long lasting.

13. so what are you telling me to do about this '3rd slot'?
    sorry i really dont know squat about computers, but i can follow instructions.
    if you tell me what to do, ill do it and be very appreciative if it works.
    I don't exactly follow what you are saying, mainly because it seems to contradict what ive heard.
    Atis instruction manual says to connect the power supply to the agp card, then to the HD.
    Now ur telling me to disconnect the HD?
    that doesnt make sense

14. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:

I can't tell you what to do. If you do not know anything about computers at all then I just do not know what to say. Talk to support that you bought your computer from.

I believe it is best to draw the power for the GPU from a totally separate power line from the power supply. The latest GPUs seem to be poorly designed for power, stability, and cooling.

15. KamakazeKat

KamakazeKat Guest

Hi, i've been having a really strange problem with AGP and i'm not sure how to fix it.

I'm running windows XP, Pentium 4, and Radeon 9800 Pro.

I recently upgraded from windows 2000 but i was having issues with that too.

I've been getting random errors, weird little problems, and less then spectacular framerates.

Ram is definately not the issue.

My problem is that i can't turn AGP on, it honestly isn't working, and i cannot turn it on using the smartgart options, no matter if i apply or not. My fastwriter thing is also Off.

I'll run 3dMark03 and it will tell me (after all is said and done) that my AGP speed is at 0x.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there is no change AGP voltage setting in my BIOs.

I believe this is the main problem, and i am not quite sure how to go about finding all of my system specs for those who want to know.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2003

16. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    The 9700 Pro is now known to have problems with voltage regulation. That has been fixed in the 9800 Pro.

You may wish to check your BIOS and look at every setting. One of the settings (if you have it) is to make the AGP slot the primary video slot.

The problem with the 9800 Pro (and 9600, 9700) is that it has severe problems with heat. Just turn off you PC and touch the heatsink. They burn out fast. This is about to be corrected with the release of the XL versions. In the meantime, you can add an internal case fan directed at the AGP card or add a better cooling unit but this would void your warrenty.

17. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey Guest

I had the same problem with both my 9800pro and mx440 (running in pci mode)
    You probably don't have an AGP driver installed for you motherboard, once you install that you should be fine, you should have it on the disc that came with your pc/mobo. If not, start downloading.
    Once i installed that for my gigabyte, i was agpx8-ing it all the way

18. Devache

Devache Member Guru

GPU:
    Hercules ATI Radeon 9000Pro 128Mb
    Do all gfx cards have an external power supply?

I have an ATI Radeon Pro 128 mb from Hercules and I was wondering if i had a spare plug from my main psu whether i could plug it into my Radeon's psu.

Am I making sense?

19. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:

Also, check your BIOS settings to make sure that the AGP is set as the primary card. The 9800 runs hot! I already burned one out. Make sure you install an extra cooling fan for it.

20. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    AGP slots.....

:) Definitely check your BIOS settings............make sure that the PCI video slot is changed(in BIOS settings) to PRIMARY AGP and disable PCI/VGA palette snooping...............Make sure AGP has all the settings set to fast read/write and set to 4X or 8X AGP(if your mobo supports it)and disable (turn off) any ACPI power management references to VIDEO monitoring............also make sure your mobo has an adequate power supply (if you bought a tower case with a power supply... make sure it supplies 350 watts or more)and last but not least make sure that any PCI cards, that are installed in your motherboard, are set as far away from the AGP slot as possible to give your Video card some breathing space........I installed one of those SLOT fans to help get rid of some of the heat just below the video card......and the answer to what is the correct voltage for an Intel 3.06 GHz CPU @ 533(532)FSB is 1.55 volts.........

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003