Info on AGP slots and their voltage

Discussion in 'Links' started by Glidefan, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Neo you will need to reinstall your drivers.........I got those errors but only after an unsuccessful driver update. I dont think those errors have anything to do with voltage settings.

2. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI AIW X800 AGP 2 Monitors
    I re-installed the drivers many, many times. Have been working on this since I got the new machine 2 months ago. When I changed my voltage at first it did not make any difference as I kept having crashes every couple of hours. When I change the video cache mode in the BIOS it worked great but had one crash about 24 hours later. I then changed my AGP voltage from 1.6 to 1.7. So far no more crashes but we will see.

It may be that the problem is a combination of the cache mode and AGP voltage. I also wonder if some cards were made that are not quite up tp spec. since not everyone has these problems.

neo

3. Larry

Larry Guest

Well I've read all this. And my Asus a7s333 mobo is going back to the shop on Friday and will be replaced withan Epox EP-8RDA, nForceII. This will permit me to adjust voltage(also has agpx8). I hope this will bring my performance back to where it should be. I should get more than 11.125 marks (3dmark 2001) with my rig. let's see.

4. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Well I thought I had the 9700 Pro fixed so it would not crash my system any more with the ati2mtag and ati2dvag infinite loop error. I made both the BIOS and XP UC on the video cache mode and set my AGP voltage at 1.7. Thought it was fixed but it crashed again.

I decided today to completely un-install all of the ATI drivers again and re-install from the beginning. I will give it some time but I suspect that the problem still exists.

I am back to thinking that they had bad quality control and just put some bad cards in the market.

neo

5. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    It seemed that the only thing that decreased my crash frequency was raising my AGP voltage to 1.7 and that did not stop the crashes but it made them less frequent. I thought there were just some bad 9700's but then I read about the 9800 crash.

I was reading through the ASUS motherboard/BIOS manual. I read a section where it states that the motherboard requires a second 4 pin power connection (just like the video card) because the faster CPU processors require more power than can be supplied through the standard power connection. When I looked in the case, the manufacturer never added this required second power connection.

I suspect that this is the root of the problem and raising the AGP voltage was a work around. I wonder what other problems the lack of full power to the motherboard may be causing.

I am still waiting for the replacement 9800 Pro. I will ask them at that time to add the additional power connection.

So, look at you MB manual and see if it has a place for a second 4 pin power connection. Then check in your case to see if it is connected. If not, connect it.

6. Kleggas

Kleggas Master Guru

GPU:
    Hercules 9800 PRO 128Mb
    Wow, my first post since I became a member here bout 1 hour ago, and me not being a hardware guru might have a fix atleast to asus users wich still gets lokups after switching from automaticly to 1.7v (I have ASUS P4S8X). It helped me using 1.7v in the way that it didnt freeze in the second test of 3DMark2001SE but in the 13:th test, 3 times, then I went to my bios and stupid as I am I didn't understand 90% of all settings, so I just thought, "Hey, try changing the "Chipset Clock Mode" from "Performance" to something else." And "Synchronous" sounded better than "Asynchronous" so that was my choise, now the benchmark finishes all 17 steps without looking, ran it 5 times this far and got a score of 7269 with my tweaked 9600pro. Finally I stopped thinking of switching back to "good old nvidia" and started seing alot of great colors and nice speeds, and gamings all night long.
    That is ofcourse after some great sleep, cuz this crap made me awake for 48 hours :)

Thanx to this thread and all great lovely gurus, love ya all

7. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    just curious what the default voltage is supposed to be for a ATI 9800Pro?..when my bios is set to default its at 1.5v...is that the default that ATI allows?

8. Fork

Fork Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    It seems that a lot of us experience problems with the 9700/9800 series video cards. Turning off features, upping voltages, etc all help REDUCE the problems, but it doesn't fix it.

Questions, is this a motherboard issue, or is ATI writing **** drivers for their cards? I'm putting my money on ATI as my motherboard was rock solid with my older video card.

My 9700 Pro reboots itself if I run 3DMark03 or play Operation Flashpoint and exit the game. Forking weird.

Yes, diabling Fast Writes reduced the rebooting problem.
    Yes, turning performance to Programs vice System Cache stopped the "Delayed Write Errors" problems.
    Yes, turning the AGP to 4X reduced the rebooting problem.

But no one solution has FIXED my issues. If I can't fix it, I'm going to get rid of this ATI piece of crap and get something that works.

Sigh.

9. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    As I understand it the ATI 9700 Pro is known to have either design or quality construction faults. My computer is new so the manufacturer replaced the 9700 Pro with a 9800 Pro and all of the problems went away. I can now run it with everything wide open and have not had a single problem. The 9700 Pro used to crash XP with the infinite loop problem.

10. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Ok i am extremely comfused here....
    In Bios i get that my card is running on AGP 8X same with every single testing program i have tried, including smart gart.
    The default voltage for AGP was 1.5 but i brought it up to 1.6 cause i had some stability issues.

Now some ppl say that their card is working on 0.8V others say that theirs is working on 1.5V, all with AGP 8X motherboards and most of them with the same card as me 9700pro.

So wtf is going on here ?!

11. Fork

Fork Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    AGP 8X runs on .8 volts. 4X runs on 1.5 volts.

In the SMARTGART tab in the display properties for the ATI card, turn your card down to 4X and set the voltage at 1.6 or 1.7, especially if you overclock. That will help reduce rebooting issues.

12. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    The card is working fine and it says AGP8X both in bios and in smartgart, but the AGP voltage again in bios says 1.5, so i still don't understand this.

Is there any other way to make sure that my card is running on AGP8X ?
    A bandwidth measuring program or something along those lines ?

13. Fork

Fork Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    There is absolutely no performance gain from running at 8X AGP vs 4X AGP. Although it might say 1.5 volts, it's actually running at .8. It's up to the software maker to take advantage of 8X AGP in their program writing. :)

It sounds like your motherboard isn't reporting the voltage correctly. What kind of motherboard do you have? MSI?

14. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    /me points to his specs =========================>

I've seen it on many boards, Gigabyte MSI and others.

15. oh f*ck why do people release their cards so early , dont tell me y, i already know the answer damn. I hate it , they still dont get that they can spend more time and also gain more by making customers happy, dont they know we buy cards by looking around forums and such, every single noob who sees this post will buy a nvidia instead of ati, and nvidia is a cheater. Someone resurrect 3dfx, i was happy with my v3 3000

16. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    this is what ive been tryn to figure out..if

when I have my card set to 8x in bios...there is only a selection for agp volts from 1.5-1.8v could this be the reason for some instabily ? when its only supposed to have ".8v" and its gettn almost double @ 1.5v..when on 8x agp.. seems like its not possible to set the voltage where its supposed to be when using 8x agp..could this also damage the card running 8x agp @ 1.5v?
    THunDA

17. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    Join the club THunDA :)

I still can't figure it out either, only logical reply i got to this question was that the card uses both voltages but only one of them is displayed in some companys BIOS.

I had a bit of a problem at 1.5V so i upped it to 1.6 and it has been rock stable since then.

18. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    does seem weird cuz just from the logical side of my brain..lol.. a jump from .8v to 1.5v seems like a LARGE jump and would make me think its not safe but then theres no option for .8v in bios...in confused..lol :rolleyes:

19. ThE OnLy !peR

ThE OnLy !peR Member

GPU:
    2xRadeon HD6950 @950/1450
    i think that the bios reduces the voltage automatically, without notifing it to you, because, giving acces to that low voltages could cause that some inexperts piss off their cards running in AGP 4x mode

20. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    I had a problem where my 9800 would not let my computer start because it said the power adapter was not connected and it was.

So I ran it as a first split directly from the power supply and it has been fine since.

I think these new cards just draw a huge amount of power.