1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity: Battlescape (with seamless planetary transitions)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonnyRedHed, Nov 1, 2015.

1. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Man that one ship looks alot like the terrapin cig just released ;p

Looks better than nms for sure some impressive looking planets sofar.

3. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #29

source link

Posted by I-NovaeKeith CEO & Cofounder

Hey all it’s peanut butter weekly update time. During the last week work continued on what is quickly becoming Forever Patch 2.0. The reason for that is due to running into some unexpected problems with networking. Our networking code was originally conceived back in 2007 for the Infinity Combat Prototype. It has been left largely untouched since then whereas the rest of the engine has evolved quite a bit. For our Kickstarter, due to a lack of time, we threw everything together pretty quickly which meant a lot of our game logic ended up running on the client and we knew we’d have to pay a price for that later on. We figured it was a good tradeoff since we had no idea if our Kickstarter would succeed. Needless to say that bill has come due.

[​IMG]

The initial material pass on the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

For those of you who either don’t know or don’t care about game networking allow me to summarize client-side game logic as being really, really bad. It makes the game easy for hackers to, well, hack and cause general unpleasantness for everyone but themselves. Obviously for a multiplayer game like Infinity: Battlescape this would be catastrophic so it’s of the utmost importance that we spend however much time is necessary to properly update our networking code.

[​IMG]

The full geometry view of the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

Our pledge upgrade system is coming along nicely. Credit card, bitcoin, and PayPal payment integration is now complete. We have some additional work to do for processing chargebacks followed by a legal review of our pledge upgrade Terms of Service but after that we’ll be ready to roll it out. On the art side the bomber cockpit is finished and work has begun on the corvette cockpit. The NPC hauler continues to come together nicely and we should have some more screen shots of it over the coming weeks!

Pledge now via this website (indiegogo)

(Pledge upgrades coming soon to the I:B website)

The I-Novae Engine - Pure Digital Art

Infinity: Battlescape forums: https://forums.inovaestudios.com

4. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Some new procedurally generated screen shots from the latest development build.

kindly Shared by - Sab1e - on the I-Novae forums (link)

Some time admiring Aresthia in the corvette!. (1080p)

Just one body in a solar system roughly the size of ours, @1:1 scale.

Aresthia (Mars like): 5000 Km

Multiply by 2 for diameter.

[​IMG]

Descent to the surface

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A desolate, eerie, silent world

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planetrise (cockpit - zoomed in)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So many places to visit...

[​IMG]

(New pledges and pledge upgrades are coming soon to the I:B website)

5. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #30

source link

Hey everyone time for another weekly update. This week we want to take some time to talk about scheduling. Our next release is Alpha which is currently scheduled for October 29th, 2016. The Alpha release is supposed to contain rough implementations for all major gameplay systems which includes networking, distribution, patching, UI, weapons, small-ship flight mechanics, capital ship flight mechanics, radar, intra-solar jumping, and resource management. At this moment in time many of these are partially implemented however a few of them haven’t been started yet.

[​IMG]

Editor shot of the final touches being put on the NPC hauler

[​IMG]

You may recall that our deliverable to Developer Access backers at the beginning of the year was delayed by 2 months. If you go back through our January/February 2016 weekly updates you can read why. Full production started on February 1st and the Developer Access milestone was announced on February 28th. Back in February people were asking if the delay would affect the timeline for our Alpha release and while we knew it obviously would one way or another we decided to stick with the original timeline until we were absolutely sure we couldn’t hit it. Well, we now know we won’t be able to stick to our original timeline and release the Alpha on October 29th as we had planned. Instead we expect to release it sometime in early 2017.

[​IMG]

Editor shot of the front of the NPC hauler

[​IMG]

The delay is primarily due to a lack of programmers and being unable to get as much gameplay implemented over the summer as we had hoped due to fixing up core systems like physics, networking, distribution, patching, and pledge upgrading. Fortunately, the work on those systems, which are all very important for providing a polished experience in the final game, is nearly complete and we’ll be getting back to iterating on gameplay soon. Our art team is also still on schedule cranking out quality content.

[​IMG]

Editor shot of the NPC hauler engines

[​IMG]

Let’s talk a little bit about financials. Our Kickstarter campaign raised $332,620 which is $32,620 over our minimum goal of $300k. After paying fees to Kickstarter of ~10% that left us with ~$300k to build the game – or exactly our minimum which meant that building the game was going to be a hard slog – something we were expecting when we launched the Kickstarter. Full production started on February 1st so we didn’t really spend much of anything until then. Since our Kickstarter completed we’ve also raised an additional $21,830 through our IndieGoGo InDemand campaign (before paying ~10% in fees).

[​IMG]

One more editor shot of the NPC hauler

[​IMG]

Due to additional sacrifices made by the members of the team we’ve been spending money a little bit less than we had budgeted for so financially we’re in pretty good shape. Since the art team is currently on-schedule we expect that the majority of additional costs caused by delays beyond our target retail ship date of September 2017 will primarily go toward programmers. At the moment Flavien is the only programmer getting paid so as long as we can raise an additional ~$25k between now and September 2017 we should be able to cover a 6-month delay without any problems.

[​IMG]

Final geometry pass on the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

So where does this leave us right now? Well, if you’re a Developer Access+ backer then congratulations, you get longer exclusivity. If you’re not a Developer Access backer and you don’t want to wait our pledge upgrade system will be finished soon and you will be able to upgrade to get immediate access to the game. If you don’t want to upgrade then please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay. While it may not be going as fast as we would prefer we’re making steady progress (see our weekly updates), the artwork is coming together great, the game is going to get finished and we can’t wait to play it with all of you!

6. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Procedurally generated in-game screen shots from the latest development build.

kindly Shared by - SpaceJay - on the I-Novae forums (link)

All bodies in a solar system roughly the size of ours @1:1 scale, is what's currently planned.

Radiuses:

Rethe Prime (Gas Giant): 78000 Km
    Sarake (Earth like): 6360 Km
    Cinder (Volcanic): 3850 Km

*more to follow*

Multiply by 2 for diameters.

Some more new screen shots (4K)

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]
    (4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

Pledge now via the website (indiegogo)

*pledge upgrades coming soon to the I:B website. (PayPal inc)

7. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #31

source link

Posted by I-NovaeFlavien CTO / President & Cofounder

Hi everybody, Flavien here. I'm doing the news update as Keith is out from town for a few days. This week we've been working on bug fixes for the I-Novae installer & launcher ( for those of you dev-tier backers that have access to the game ). Some problems with third-party dependencies have been addressed and better logging / messages has been added for the future. Unfortunately we ran out of time to test the new build before Keith had to leave, so our plan is to push that new build when he's back in around a week.

[​IMG]

Military base Layout A

[​IMG]

We've also been working on the new game patch including factories and military land bases. We've developped those assets to be modular, so that we can easily create entire new layouts & variations. Keep in mind that the final solar system in which the game will take place will have at least a dozen planets ( only 4 are currently included in the pre-alpha ), and on each of these planets there might be 3-4 factories and bases. With enough layout variations, we are hoping that every base will be slightly different ( some bases will have more defenses, others will have weak points such as an energy reactor you can damage ) however since they're created from a set of common modules it allows us to minimize the amount of work & cost required per asset.

[​IMG]

Military base Layout B

[​IMG]

At the moment all those assets are placeholders for design purposes. The final assets will have around x4 more geometry and details. Dan has already started to work on the detailed modelling phase for the space station modules and has produced around 20 of them ( out of 50 ) in the past weeks. While we're testing the placeholders we're also generated level-of-details for them which allows us to tune performance and keep the average polycount in check, and test the limits ( in terms of complexity ) of what we can achieve for "huge" military bases, factories or stations.

[​IMG]

Huge factory - extreme layout test + LODs

[​IMG]

Jan and Kristian have been working on finalizing the hauler, including ambient occlusion maps, detail textures/materials and placing dozens of small lights to make it come alive. We are hoping to include the hauler ( at least as a static object, since we don't have any A.I. yet ) in the game by the next patch so that testers can have a look and provide feedback for it.

And that is all for now, see you next week !

8. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Procedurally generated in-game screen shots from the latest development build.

kindly Shared by - SpaceJay - on Imgur (link)

All bodies in a solar system roughly the size of ours @1:1 scale, is what's currently planned.

Radiuses:

*more to follow*

4K images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #33

source link

Hey all time for another weekly update. For starters we released an update yesterday to our installation runtime for Developer Access+ backers. Unfortunately due to a bug in the previous version the upgrade doesn't always complete successfully. If you experience any problems we have a thread on the forums explaining how to resolve them. This update to the installation runtime is in preparation for our next game patch which should be ready soon!

[​IMG]

Making progress on the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

We spent a lot of time last week getting the aforementioned patch for the game ready. It will contain a bunch of new content as well as some run-time improvements which we'll go over once it's released. This week I (Keith) will get back to finishing up the last bit of the pledge upgrade system followed by incremental patching while Flavien gets back to working on networking followed by weapons, finally, yay!

[​IMG]

Another WIP shot of the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

Our goal is to have these last bits of low-level infrastructure work completed by sometime in November so that we can refocus all of our attention on gameplay and UX moving forward.

10. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #34

source link

It's that special time of the week again, weekly update time! This last week has been a particularly busy one as we released a new patch, pre-Alpha 0.1.6.0, yesterday to our Developer Access+ backers! This patch contains a whole bunch of new content including the completed hauler, new cockpits, and the prototype geometry for land bases and factories. If you're interested you can read the full patch notes on our forums.

[​IMG]

Screen shot from the new patch of the interceptor cockpit and hauler

[​IMG]

There's a good chance this may be the only patch we release this month as we finish up the last pieces of low level infrastructure such as networking, the pledge upgrade system, and incremental patching. On the art side work will continue on finishing up the corvette cockpit and exterior hulls for the small ships. We've also started mocking up our UI which we hope to start integrating into the game in November.

[​IMG]

You probably didn't notice but we upgraded the buttons - they're now Super Sexy

[​IMG]

Looking further out into the future the first big-ticket new gameplay system will be weapons followed by the resource system. Our primary goal is to get all major gameplay systems mocked up as soon as possible so we can release the Alpha. Once that occurs a process of implementing lesser systems and continual refinement will take us to the Beta. After the Beta ships we'll begin final polish and an optimization pass before going gold. We're just taking it one day at a time while keeping an eye on the prize - shipping Infinity: Battlescape to all of you!

[​IMG]

One last screen shot of the hauler because why not, it's pirty

[​IMG]

11. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #35

source link

Sorry for the delay but here's a new weekly update. Per usual the last week has been quite busy. Flavien has made significant progress on the networking code, unfortunately there isn't anything to show, but it's starting to come together. Despite the progress being made there's still a good chunk of work left concerning client-side prediction and server-side latency compensation. Both are very important for smooth multiplayer gameplay but are equally tricky problems to solve. These improvements should be fairly noticeable once we release the next patch to Developer Access+ backers.

[​IMG]

WIP shot of a space station

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for me last week was one of those weeks where I had to take care of a lot of technical support, administrative stuff like accounting, and infrastructure issues. In mid September our forums went down for a few days due to one of our servers somehow getting magically corrupted. While everything is back up and running there are some lingering issues affecting new accounts that may prevent them from having proper access to the game and/or forums. These are being worked on and I hope to have everything back at 100% soon.

[​IMG]

Another WIP station shot next to our ships

[​IMG]

On the art side we're working on finishing up the corvette cockpit and we've started on the exteriors for the small ships. Kristian has also created some high level HUD mockups. These are focused on the broad look and feel. Composition of HUD items still needs a lot of iteration. The most difficult HUD item will likely be radar. Just like the visual style of Infinity: Battlescape we want our implementation of radar to be a blend of present day realism and futuristic sci-fi. Most of that will likely be determined by playtesting once we begin the Alpha.

[​IMG]

High level HUD rough mockup

[​IMG]

12. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Procedurally generated in-game screen shots from the latest development build. All WIP.

Radiuses:

*more to follow*

Here are some WIP first shots from patch 0.1.6.0:

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]
    (4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

13. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #36

source link

And another week bites the dust. Some of you may have noticed that our forums went down for a few hours earlier this week. That was due to the maintenance I spoke about during the last weekly update. I'm thrilled to report that the last of the forums issues caused by our outage in September have been resolved.

[​IMG]

Updated WIP mockup of the HUD (not in-game)

[​IMG]

Over the last few days we've spent a lot of time thinking about the HUD of which you can see the latest mockup above. Our guiding theme for the SFC faction is balancing 80's industrial sci-fi with advancements in technology you could expect way out in the future. To that end we want our HUD to be a blending of what you'd see in modern military aircraft and futuristic elements you would need to make newtonian spaceflight manageable.

You'll notice in the top left corner we have radar similar to what you'd find in many other space games. This is just a placeholder as radar is currently one of the least defined systems in the game. We expect it will morph heavily over time once we get into Alpha.

[​IMG]

WIP mockup of the main menu (not in-game)

[​IMG]

We've also done some mockups of the main menu system. You'll notice from the picture above there's nothing particularly glamorous about them. We've discussed the possibility of zooming around the solar system as you open different menus but that will likely depend on how much time we have during the polish phase (probably not much).

[​IMG]

A couple of new station mockups

[​IMG]

A couple of new patches have been released for the I-Novae launcher and the installation runtime over the last week. We're fixing problems and releasing patches as backers find them. Unfortunately this has come at the expense of finishing the pledge upgrade system however we're currently only aware of 2 remaining outstanding issues with the installation runtime so we'll be getting back to the pledge upgrade system shortly. A lot of backers have been asking us when it'll be ready and it's one of our top priorities.

[​IMG]

Updated shot of the corvette cockpit

[​IMG]

To summarize we're currently finishing up the networking improvements and pledge upgrade system. Once those are complete we'll be moving onto implementing weapons, our new menu/HUD system, and incremental patching.

14. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Procedurally generated in-game screen shots from the latest development build. All WIP.

These are outstanding new Progen screen shots.

Radiuses:

*more to follow*

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]
    (4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]
    (4k)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4k)
    [​IMG]

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    it's amazing, is there any playable build for people who pledged?

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    You may put links for 4k screenshots instead just hide them with spoilers, it's better for loading all page all over with such sizes...

17. No1True

No1True Member Guru

GPU:
    What is this? Daily diary?

18. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #38

Originally posted by I-NovaeKeith CEO & Cofounder - source link

Hey everyone time for an update. This last week has been fairly hectic for all of us. As was mentioned last week most of the team is trying to find new living arrangements within their respective cities because our leases all coincidentally expire at roughly the same time. This has affected our work schedule a bit since finding a new apartment is quite time consuming.

[​IMG]

WIP final geometry pass for the interceptor

full size image

Flavien has taken a brief break from the networking code to implement the foundation for what we hope will someday be support for mods. We've implemented a simple racing mod which we intend to maintain throughout development of the game so that the interface between mods and the game will be preserved. I've been working on some low level rendering improvements that will lay the foundation for the new UI system we want to build to power our HUD and menu system.

[​IMG]

Another WIP shot of the interceptor final geometry pass

full size image

On the art side work continues on the final geometry passes for the corvette exterior, interceptor exterior, and large station pieces. Aside from the new screen shots in this update there's not much else to say about that at the moment. I've put in an application on a new (cheaper) apartment so I should have a lot less distraction this week which will allow me to refocus on finishing the pledge upgrade system. Unfortunately the other guys are still looking but we hope they'll find something agreeable soon.

[​IMG]

One last WIP shot of the final interceptor geometry pass

full size image

Given that we'll all have to pack, move into, and then unpack in our new apartments by the end of November - combined with the upcoming holidays - it's possible that our Alpha launch early next year might be a bit on the rougher side. It's still too early to know for certain but in the end we figure that Alpha backers just want to have something to play sooner rather than later. Lastly we're planning on having our free weekend for Alpha backers to try the game sometime after the pledge upgrade system is completed. Some Beta backers have expressed their desire to upgrade so they can be a part of that free weekend and we want to make that available for them. That's it for this week!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infinity: Battlescape website: https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

The I-Novae Engine

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  19. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Will do. Thanks.

20. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Weekly Update #40

Originally posted by I-NovaeKeith CEO & Cofounder - source link

Hey everybody here's your Infinity: Battlescape weekly update! I'm thrilled to report that the coding effort for pledge upgrades via credit cards and bitcoin is now complete! I still have to work with our lawyer to get a Terms of Service written before I can release it but hopefully that'll be sometime this week. While waiting for the legal review I'll be shifting over to some low level engine improvements which lay the groundwork for our new UI system for the game.

[​IMG]

WIP geometry for interceptor/bomber hangar

Flavien continues his work on networking. Unfortunately when it comes to planets nothing is easy and it's taking a bit longer than anticipated due to some hiccups with server side hit detection on planet surfaces. Most notably the server needs to generate terrain collision meshes on-demand for every player and particle in the game that happens to be near the ground which, worst case, can be quite a lot over an incredible surface area. This poses some unique technical challenges.

[​IMG]

WIP final geometry pass for the corvette

On the art side we're finishing up the large scale final geometry pass for space stations. Once that's complete we'll begin the final geometry pass for factories. Jan and Kristian are still working on the final geometry passes for the corvette and interceptor exteriors. Those are really coming together nicely and they're going to look great once the texturing pass is complete. Lastly if you have an opinion on whether or not our interceptor should have a horizontal bar in the cockpit - please head over to our forums and vote.

[​IMG]

WIP geometry for the corvette hangar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infinity: Battlescape website (pledge): https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape