1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indications or warnings of unauthorized access to your net accounts

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by MikeG, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    This is about If someone intrudes into my pc while I'm using the pc and gets into my email or other program. It's not so much about if they (hackers) get in my email from a pc miles away but comments about that are welcome. So let's say I'm working on my pc in a graphics program and my net browsers are closed (Chrome and Edge.) And then they access my pc and open my email program:

If that happened I could notice the browser icon in the program bar at the bottom of my screen right? Or I assume I could notice part or all of my browser window popping up. So then I could take action like closing the net browser and trying to find out who hacked in. If any of that is wrong or incomplete let me know. I have Win 10 Home on a I7 7700, Rtx 2080 Ti video card, 16gb ram, 2tb hhd.

I also have a ATT Uverse dsl modem router which is their standard 4 port ethernet unit with wifi. Some of the 8 apartments in the building where I live also have wifi which may be with ATT or Spectrum or maybe another provider. But I have everything wired with ethernet lines in my apartment and I don't use wifi except maybe sometimes on my Galaxy S4 cell phone but not on my 2 pc systems. The 2 pcs were networked together at one time some months ago but currently I can't get one of them to show it's properly on the network.

But my main questions are about if I'm playing a game offline like a single player game and it's full screen. Edit: and no other programs are running but my ethernet line is still plugged in. And if the same hacker as above opens my browser will I even notice it? Meaning will the browser show up as if I was doing an Alt-Tab from the game to the desktop? Or perhaps a screen flicker in the game is an indication that my browser or other program is being opened in the background?

And speaking of the background can a hacker open a program on your pc in the background without any visual indicators like icons or windows appearing? I guess maybe there are specialized warning programs with their own visual or audio alerts for this sort of intrusion while gaming which I haven't really checked out yet. Edit: I see they are IDS programs and hopefully they work while gaming full screen. Maybe an external device? Or something.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    If someone wanted to hack your online accounts such as email it is unlikely they would do it via your PC, they would do it via their own PC and your credentials for whichever account they were hacking

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Scenario you describe is called remote access - someone gained remote access to your computer/OS.
    Remote access can be done in the same session as current user or with another login (another session).
    (About sessions - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...Compatibility-Session-0-Isolation/ba-p/372361)
    As I take it you can`t see what is going on in another session.
    When game runs in exclusive fullscreen mode any started (in the same session) app with user interface should minimise the game into taskbar.
    There is a way to see all logged users - https://www.top-password.com/blog/see-currently-logged-in-users-in-windows/

PS But professional hackers do not want you to notice something is wrong. So they usually want to create some process in your system which will start with the OS and do whatever they want (attack some server for example).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Turn off remote access, DONE!

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    That only stops "official" means of remote access.

jaggerwild and anticupidon like this.
  6. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks for the replies. Meant to add I have Norton security on both PCs not that it solves everything. And I could've shortened my post a bit by saying I need a good intrusion detection program/hardware for when I'm in a full screen program. And then include the network and system specs as above. But I tend to get wordy.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    What makes you think someone is going to hack your machine? For one you would need to be infected with malware they could use to remote in in the first place, and two, it would be a lot of effort vs using already known credentials leaked from hacked sites to access email etc

If you received an email with your email address and a password you use demanding bitcoin to not leak footage of you watching pR0n to everyone in your address book, ignore it, they're just using databases that have been hacked from other sites and phishing in the hope you'll cough up, they don't even know who they are sending these emails to, they just use a script to send it to everyone's emails that were used in the leaked database

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @MikeG
    For network protection you need firewall and you need to install all security updates for your OS, drivers, apps.
    Also you should disconnect from internet when you do not need it (when you sleep, for example, when computer is just idle).

9. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    IDS/IPS is a pretty extreme measure for most home networks. When i use ids, it is typically as part of SIEM service, as it is coordinated with other security measures. If you are wanting a device that will run ids/ips, check out Fortinet fortiguard 30e. Not a perfect solution, but will provide you better control than norton will. As the others have stated, most likely the hack will occur at the e-mail server, or via covert means that will not be readily visible.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    So in other words if he down loaded something or if someone was to get a program in they still have access?

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yes. Just by their own means, not by the means provided by OS.

jaggerwild likes this.