Incredible 4,400 mark increase 3dmark06

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gsxrjunkie, Oct 31, 2012.

1. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    Greetings this isnt driver related,but im so stoked i had to share.
    so ive had an asus crosshair I for some 4 years now,ive always ran 0904 bios,ive reasearched,tinkered,overclocked,etc... bios settings but never gained a huge performance hit.
    Today i was reading newegg reviews on the mobo and someone posted a thread saytin that he was on 0904 bios and he had terrible frames on graphics,said he downgraded to 0804 bios and his 3dmark06 went from like 6,000 to 10,000 so thats what i did.
    before flashing i ran 3dmark and my score was 6528
    after flashing i went into bios and made the changes i wanted,ran 3dmark and got a score of like 4,300,im like wtf?here i thought i was gonna gain something.
    so i ran aida64 and saw my cpu was only at 1,105mhz instead of 3,000.
    back in bios,changed,ran 3dmark again and score was 10,935.
    thats a 4,400 increase.now after 4 years of 6528 marks,gonna see how gaming is with 10,935.yeah-ya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    That is awesome! Do games show a similar improvement?

3. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    BIOS issue with the clocks then?

4. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    The CPU score is the same, it must be something to do with PCI express settings.

5. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Wow, looks like that 0904 bios was a major fail. Too bad you've been gimped by it for 4 whole years.

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    congrats :)

7. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    Like having a whole new machine. Gotta love unexpected performance increases.

8. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Yeah and it was just about time for an upgrade too ;)

9. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    That's nothing strange, seeing people update their BIOS/drivers for no reason is actually strange.

All manufacturers actually advise you not to upgrade your BIOS file except in case you have some problems, it is simply because with new version of BIOS, in most cases, it is just update for CPU/RAM etc support, and actually BIOS is tweaked in such a way to work best with the new component, not older, for older components it is always advised to use version of BIOS that is actually made for that component.

For example, i use BIOS version 1.4, while the newest one is 1.8 or so, it's because, in 1.2 version, CPU is officially supported, and in 1.4 they did fix some sensor problems with CPU. And while i tested 1.8 version, i find PC to be more stable and overall better working with current components in 1.4 version.

I think you should listen to their advice next time ;).

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    My 8800gts 512 (4 years ago). Probably the CPU has to do with the differences in scores.

[​IMG]

11. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I hope your PC doesn't have as many running background services and processes as there are random icons on your desktop :eek:

In my experience, messy desktop often means messy computer. Perhaps some thorough efficiency cleaning to do, you might see even more performance :)

12. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 FE
    I assure u that u won't play much @10k in 3DMark 06 in ur games. Having even 10k in 3DMark Vantage is not the same as have 10-11k in 3DM11

Thread is about trolling and should be closed!

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What are you on about Casper? Just because 3dmark11 is the latest does not mean it's the only relevant one.
    Not sure where you are getting the trolling from, all the results here are from 3dmark06.

14. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Not until you showed up :p

This and DX9 3DMarks yield ~15% higher score in WinXP.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012