Inbuilt Movie player VS Kodi regarding HDR.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by IceVip, Nov 20, 2017.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    There's something bugging me right now with these players. I got a projector that has a native fullhd resolution
    so i started downloading Blu-ray films to re-watch them on this beauty. Problem is some films like "Passangers"
    and their "4K HDR" stuff really stress me out. Look at the picture below.

https://i.imgur.com/CZIASx4.jpg

I took two pictures, on the left is windows 10's "Movies & TV" player and on the right is "Kodi v17.6" from the
    MS Store. I would like to add that what kodi sees, VLC does too.

Why does the inbuilt player show the picture like that? is that actually the "HDR" thingy everyone is talking about? And why the hell is the saturation more. Watching the film on normal players feels desaturated as you can see.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I am no expert, but yes, that looks like a HDR movie on a non-HDR device. The picture quality is even worse than with normal videos if your hardware doesn't support it as far as I've seen.
    But I can't confirm if it truely is this, since I don't own a HDR capable display, hence never tried it myself.

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I am pretty sure it is, I just don't get why Kodi/VLC would level it out like a C-LOG and Windows' inbuilt player would see overblow. To be frank this truly is retarded in my honest opinion.
    Why the heck do we even need this thing called HDR. If i open youtube and watch Passangers' trailer i can clearly see the detail in the whites and blacks in the trailer. But on the BluRay
    for some godforsaken reason its not leveled out its either washed out or blown out... Why can't it just be like the trailer in youtube..? So that people who buy 4k hdr tvs feel like they have
    something more? As an editor and animation compositor i honestly can't see the point of hdr. Even in games. I feel like there's something else bigger hiding behind it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    HDR is pretty impressive if you have the compatible hardware to display it. It's far more beneficial to picture quality than the jump to 4K is.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree with you on that one, there is more to it than just offering people better image quality. I guess it might have to do with declining sales, since even 4K displays and TVs don't break down that fast, so they nead to offer something new, or people won't buy a new TV / screen. Same, for me, was curved displays for TVs... in smaller sizes (anything below 50") or if you're not too close, it doesn't do much at all.
    I guess HDR does make the picture look nicer, more vibrant and everything, but on the opposite side they don't look natural to me (at least as far as it comes down to fotography), but as a non-professional that's just my opinion.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU: