In the New Year, the United States may reimpose GPU import tariffs.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy and mbk1969 like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well... wellcome to the world of never knowing MSRP. Your fellow gurus around the rest of the world.

On a more serious note, probably won't happen / last long.

Why_Me, tunejunky, H83 and 2 others like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That 25% would bring the American prices a big step closer to the European ones. Considering the recent news about the near future American "Buy Made in USA" campaigns, it wouldn't be a shocking surprise for me if any continuation to the exemptions would be coupled with a (future) requirement for domestic (that is, US) production to some degree.

H83 likes this.
  4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    With the 4070Ti already expected to be $800, adding 25% more would basically kill the high-end GPU market IMO. I'd have no appetite for a $1000 70 class card or any card around that price. Screw that!

cucaulay malkin and H83 like this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Ouch!

I guess Americans are going to get a taste of what it feels to be European regarding GPU prices...

Unless Intel, Nvidia and AMD put some money on the table to lobby (bribe) a solution for this...

HitokiriX, Hyadum, Valken and 4 others like this.
  6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    What is import duty into EU since forever - 7%? And then 20-24% tax on top of that. Don't think Americans will get any sympathy from European GPU buyers here.

Valken, tunejunky, TheDeeGee and 3 others like this.
  7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPUs are exempt from import duty, it's just VAT.

8. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    This could be bad for markets outside the US too. Companies could take the hit on selling to US and jack up prices on other countries to cover costs.:(

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Just another proposal that's going nowhere because its even dumber than the politicians. Which is an impressive feat.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    With the exception of a few states (including mine), I think Americans might actually pay more than Europeans because that 25% increase doesn't include state sales tax. Since the advertised sale price is bound to include the tariff, that means people will pay even more in sales tax than they normally would. Sure would suck to live in NY since they have a high sales tax of 12.7%. After looking that up, I think I now understand why I'm seeing so many New Yorkers in my area...

Considering all-time low sales numbers, I'm sure GPU manufacturers and retailers are going to be pretty frantic to drop that tariff, because their sales numbers are about to get a lot worse.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Valken and tunejunky like this.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    That would definitely be yet another reason I don't care about updating my old as heck setup. <slaps 4790k and 1070ti> "It ain't much but its honest work"

Valken likes this.
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    No politics

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    As if the GPU market wasn't screwed up enough as it is.

Why_Me likes this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Nothing will be killed, if people want something they buy it. Has been the case since... forever.

Why_Me and pegasus1 like this.
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    100% this.

Why_Me likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    guess i not getting any new gpu any time soon, consider most every thing is made in china/taiwan or some other country then usa, none the less even with 25% that stuff will fly off shelves. PC gaming is no long hobby i will pay prices for. GPU prices are outrageous it will be worse then it is now and last i check intel stuff is made in china too... they say they do make in usa but never seen anything from them have made in usa on it.

Good times good times. all this just make PS5 bought sound more and more like better deal

17. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Nice trick to make the prices more believable ... yeah right

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

already "baked in" from the "CHIPs" act. Intel is the largest beneficiary, but GloFlo and smaller fabs are getting updated too. TSMC is going to benefit (but hasn't yet) because of political dances but that also is a done deal.

within 10 years US semiconductor output will double. TSMC is still likely to be the biggest fab as they're hedging their bets vis a vis China as well by US expansion and market coordination.

what started out as a 100% US industry...well you all know.. but this act will cause the majority of future GPUs to be made in America.
    the good news is the prohibitive surcharge (100%) TSMC charges for N4 & N3 will be a thing of the past as those processes will be mature by next year.

Valken likes this.
  19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    If Intel produces in the US it makes sense for them to push their internal economy.
    GPUS for gaming are not a basic necessity and can be taxed hard like cigarettes/alchool and so forth
    It doesn't make sense in a state where the tax payed do not get back to people in health and education tho.

tunejunky, Valken and pegasus1 like this.
  20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    In EU the high end is around 2000 Euro for NVidia and 900 Euro for AMD right now...
    This xmas the console queen is the nintendo switch 267 Euro, around 6 sale per day since mid november on a friend shop where i do extra work, compared to 2 PS5 and 4 XBox series for the whole time... it's astonishing, but logical.
    Price goes up, but people have the same money, so they limit themself.

tunejunky likes this.