In the market for a 570gtx...EVGA vs MSI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nox156, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    sdnly: you do realise that heat isn't even REMOTELY close to the only thing that kills computer hardware, right? power surge... lack of enough power... potential short... manufacturing defect... i'm pretty sure any one of those are probably more likely to kill a piece of hardware than just heat. And either way you look at it.... 48 degrees Celsius is still quite hot. That's 114F. For reference, my GTX 295 idles at 48-50C. Yes.... yours runs under load at that temp.... but mine is two GPU's on top of each other with the stock GTX 295 sandwich'd cooler.

2. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    Lifetime warranty duh EVGA

3. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    All I'm saying is that 3 years is plenty and during those 3 years, because the temperature is good, you can keep your gpu cranked up and enjoy it. I really don't get these "85c is fine" comments, well no sh1t, but that twin frozr will also be fine with more volts/higher freq at 85c.

MSI's coolers is just the best right now, I really don't know why EVGA is still keeping that 2 mm fan. I did see them make a water ready 580, so hopefully they can come up with something as efficient as the Twin Frozr.

While we're waiting for a review to come up for it, if ever, look at the temps for the 6950 T.F

[​IMG]

Works great as always. However, there's nothing wrong with going with the EVGA. If you want to be sure the GPU will last you 4 years, that's you.

4. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    :heh:

5. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    uuh.... yeah.... i forgot.... that's the OTHER thing you keep mentioning that will kill a card sooner than the extra heat generated. increased voltage.

And.... "Hopefully they can come up with something as efficient as the Twin Frozr"? I wouldn't exactly say that MSI "came up with" the cooler on the Frozr, either. You do realise that it's pretty much identical to Arctic Cooling's VGA cooling options, right? The only difference between the Frozr and Arctic Cooling's heatsink for the GTX 4xx and 5xx GPU's is that the Frozr has one less fan and a different heatpipe arrangement. And i'm pretty sure this isn't the first time i've seen a video card come out with a "custom" heatsink that's just either the exact Arctic Cooling heatsink mounted on it, or a slightly modified version as the Frozr is.

and just to let you in on a little secret.... the main reason the Frozr cools marginally better than the stock heatsink.... is probably due to the fact that it's more of a direct cooling heatsink than a rear-venting heatsink as so many people seem to love for some odd reason. You're always going to get somewhat better temperatures with a heatsink that has fans blowing air directly towards the GPU, even if it's at the back of the PCB, than you will if it's traveling the entire way through a heatsink. A small amount of logic can determine that. if the entire heatsink is warm, then as the air gets to the other end of the heatsink furthest from the fan, the air will gradually get warmer. I'd rather save the $15 between the Frozr and the stock eVGA 570 and try to find a nicer cooler. As an example?

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=30&id=164

I had the Thermalright HR-03 on my 8800GTX, and that thing ran nice and cool. I can't imagine what an 8-heatpipe direct cooling heatsink with a 140mm fan would do for temperatures on a 570/580, as well as noise.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    My evga gtx 570 overclocks and overvolts just fine while staying quite and keeping the max load temps at 77-78c. Yes, the MSI GPU being talked about in this topic has the better cooler. I dont think anyone is arguing against that.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I went with EVGA this time. Both are great comanies. I've had the least problems with MSI and EVGA. Infact 90% of the mainboards I've owned, as well as video cards were either or.

I do agree though, EVGA should do some custom cooling solutions. They can still keep their stock cards, but they should seriously think about it, even NEW companies late to the game do custom cooling.

If EVGA can put out some awesome customized mainboards, I really feel they can do the same with their graphics cards.

8. pakko

pakko Active Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGTX580 WindF3 SLI
    Why no one care about fan noise =(

9. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    I have heard previously that EVGA's warranty covers a change in cooler!?

Is this still the case?

10. pakko

pakko Active Member

GPU:
    Yes it is.

11. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    Good to know as I have a 570 SC coming today (and before anyone asks, the 570 Twin Frozr is not in the UK yet so there was no choice to make).

My input to the OP is:

Not owned an EVGA before but I here nothing but good things about their kit, support and warranty.
    Owned an MSI card (which broke and MSI did nothing other than to refer me to the reseller) and motherboard (which was great and faultless, but I found the support forums full of arrogant t**ts who 'know everything').

A friend of mine has recently bought the 5850 Twin Frozr and he swears by it.....

12. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    When I was looking at evga cards I noticed not all cards had a lifetime warranty some had only 3 year warranty so make sure it's lifetime.. I'd personaly would go with the MSI because I dont like my card running hot it's funny because I have no case fans running and my card still idles at 35 rarely ever going over 50 on loadah thanks to the heatpipes:)

13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    They're bringing out a custom cooled GTX 570 at some point

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Pakko: the reason most people don't care about the fan noise is because for the most part, the stock coolers aren't all THAT loud. Yeah... they're loud if they're cranked up to like 75%+ fan speed.... but it's rare that any sort of game would get it that high. Benchmarking, maybe... but even that i think is unlikely.

15. BigRob

BigRob Banned

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570@920mhz
    I have tried convincing him that the stock cooler isnt loud at all unless of course you ramp up the fan speed to much. It really doesnt even become remotely loud or annoying unless you go higher than 70% and if you can keep it below that then you really want notice it that much.

I mean look at my overclock and then factor in my fan at 65% with load temps at 77-78c, I think that shows that the stock cooler is more than capable of allowing for a decent overclock while keeping the fan speed at a fairly quite setting and still maintaining good load temps.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Yea.... and like i said with mine.... i've NEVER heard my sandwich-style GTX 295's fan get to an even mildly irritating loudness except for maybe the one time i really ever run a benchmark. No games come even remotely close to stressing hardware as much as benchmarks, which is why i usually find them to be a waste to perform. As long as you have good airflow, hardware temps should still stay relatively low, resulting in lower fan speeds.

17. pakko

pakko Active Member

GPU:
    I get it, the fact is that my previsious case was a soprano fx and my gainward noise (40% fan = 2015 rpm) was ok than i just changed my case with a CM HAF X.

Temps (that were already low..) went -10° some times -15° lower but the total noise went pretty up.

I think that the HAF X got more fan "hole" thant my old Soprano FX so the noise come out from the case more easily..

With this case i can hear my vga very well and remember that it run at only 40%, with benchmark too since it reach 65° max thanks to the perfect cooling of his cooler + HAF X.. so i did myself a bios mod that take down the fan speed to 28-30% and now it runs at 1400 rpm and that's perfectly silent!
    I'm gonna wait some weeks for the Twin Frozr than if the "monkey" keeps poking me i think i will get the GLH and i will do a bios mod again :pc1:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  18. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    Buy evga and if everything runs smoothly then put an aftermarket cooler