In need of a new computer, Intel build pref.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by brandonspikes, Feb 8, 2011.

1. brandonspikes

brandonspikes Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    So yeah, as you may see I made a thread a few days ago asking about the sandy bridge motherboards and availability and whatnot, and I'm getting the drift that I wont be able to get the 2500k and a Mobo this month.

I'm pretty much in need of 3 things right now, A new Motherboard, CPU, and around 6-8gb of ram.
    The problem is I only have around $500 to spend on all 3 of those, give or take $100 if needed

The cpu would be used for games coming out this year, I also would like to do some frapsing.

What would be the best choice for me to spend my money on, I cannot wait another month, 2 week max.

Also, I live in the US, so I would prefer not to order parts overseas, Newegg or amazon would be the best bet.

Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, I plan on upgrading my Gpu in a few months.

Here's what I put together myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211

Total is around $580.
    Is there anything cheaper that I can invest in, without lowering overall performance?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
  3. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Will it be a big jump in performance,
    How well can I Overclock?
    My casing is an Antec 900, forgot to put that in there.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The performance improvement depends a lot on what you do. I would suggest the memory that AshCation recommended since the x58 boards do support triple channel memory. Here's a direct comparison between your Q6600 and the Core i7 950: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=100

Keep in mind that real-world differences aren't quite as drastic as benchmark results would imply. Also...overclocking results will vary based on the overall quality of the components used, so no guarrantees can be made as far as overclock achievement.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I'd go to AMD route before intel if an 2500K would be the only choice as price to performance point of view 1100T might be worth a look, but then again wouldn't suggest buying anything, atm and either got the lowest system possible on halt until these big companies gets the next generation out as we are still stuck thanks for AMD in the last one, heh :)

6. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
  7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I suggest waiting for the fixed chipsets to get rolled out before you jump to Sandy Bridge to avoid any possible headaches in the long run.

deltatux

8. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    What problems would I have if I just use the 6.0's for the HDD's/DVD Burner?

It just sucks so much waiting :X

9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if you look around you can find boards that will make you ignore the sata2 issue.

i just bought an asrock p67 extreme6. has 6 sata3 ports so i dont have to worry about the issue for a fair while.

its a fairly reasonably priced motherboard that has more features than most other boards in the same price range. it has a 16+2 cpu power phase and also an molex port on the board to allow you to feed more power to the pcie lanes.

i'll be running my bluray writer on the sata2 ports as i dont see any real reason to keep that on a sata3 port.

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Personally, I have a lot of hard drives, so I like to have all my SATA ports operational. It's really up to you.

deltatux

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    well from what ive read, the issue is just a degredation in port performance. most conventional hdds arent anywhere near saturating a sata2 port's bandwidth. so even if the port degrades and loses 25% of sata2 bandwidth, its still not gonna slow down a conventional hdd.

only SSDs would really be affected.

12. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    ~~~~
    Delete post

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  13. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'd wait if I were you, the S1155 platform offers both better performance and lower price than what you'll get by going the route S1366 at this point.

Personally I don't worry about the SATA issues, especially since I only use the two SATA 6.0 Gbps ports, but I'll switch boards when replacements are available nonetheless.

14. brandonspikes

GPU:
    MSI 560GTX TI Twin Frozr
    Yup, It seems Newegg is restocking them atm.

The 2600k and 2600 just went back up, I'm prob gonna get a board that has 4 6.0 Sata's