In need of a memory upgrade, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nichtganz, Nov 21, 2012.

1. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    Was thinking about upgrading my memory ive been getting running out of memory errors in skyrim, what should i go with?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Are you sure its system ram you're running out of and not Vram?

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Had similar problem with Oblivion.

Memory errors aren't only caused by lack of memory.
    Some of your game files might be corrupted or plugins don't get along with each others.
    Try disabling plugins and run game on it own.

I have to admit, its pretty hard to run out of 6GB ram.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    So far the only time I've run out of RAM is when burning stuff from .iso files to DVD's. It literally eats 90% of RAM.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Check memory usage when playing Skyrim to see how much ram your system is actually using. 6GB should be more than sufficient

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Games are currently coded in 32bit so wont use more than 2GB RAM, even BF3 tops out at 1.91GB on a 64 man server so you must have a ****e load of other processes running in the background.

7. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Are you using 4GB version? Are you using any mods?

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Might be worth looking for a memory leak, sidebar gadgets are terrible for it but ive never played a game that by itself uses more than 2Gb of RAM even at the highest possible settings, maybe you have a lot of stuff going on in the background, check Windows Task Manager whilst gaming and see what is eating your RAM.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I have used around 6GB system ram when running skyrim on occasion. Also, dx9 applications require video memory contents to be mirrored in system ram, this is in addition to system memory occupied by texture ram exceeding video ram available. Then there's what the game uses for everything else.

edit:

DX9 memory management further explained here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What program are you using to do that?! It seems you are burning the ISO in Disk-at-once mode, using the RAM as cache. No problems with this is you have loads of RAM (like 16GB :)), but 6GB, or even 8GB could possibly be a stretch, isn't really enough for this due to the size of a DVD. It is a stretch because it would trigger pagefile use, and you end up negating the 'safety' and performance benefits of caching to RAM in the first place.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    6GB and running out of ram? Unless you're running the full Adobe suite, Maya and Skyrim, I highly doubt it. That is either video RAM or something else.