in game stutters/lags

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xMishax, Aug 17, 2015.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    What games specifically and what LAN card is by that mobo realtek or intel?

Also audio, latest driver?

chipset IMEI driver installed?

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I'd also suspect it's your PSU, it seems to have two +12 V rails with 20 A each.
    That's around 32 A total plus PCI-E is probably powered via single rail meaning 20 A max which is not enough for your GPU I think.
    You'll want to get something with a single +12 V rail with 50-60 amps to be on the safe side.

I'd agree with OP about memory not being the issue. Sure, it can cause bottlenecks in certain scenarios but not in general like this.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. xMishax

xMishax Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    @-Tj- GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Skyrim, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance ( the ones I put monitoring from )
    it seems like its realtek
    all drivers are up to date, updated them myself to the latest one

@AsiJu damn, after johnyguru's review I thought it has 40Amps on the vrail >.< what a misunderstanding. However as I said, Im yet to test if this is my psu :) anyway thanks for the reply

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Well, in theory yes, but in practice the combined output is less for multirail units.
    Plus the separate rails create their own restrictions. Ie, as said, your GPU has probably only 20 amps to spare.
    Or worse, the same rail is used for both GPU and CPU, which is also probable.
    The other rail being reserved for peripherals etc.

Try with a different and more powerful PSU, couldn't hurt ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

5. xMishax

xMishax Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    Definitely gonna try this solution :D thanks for explanation :)

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    np, report back how it goes!

7. xMishax

xMishax Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    Tested with more powerfull psu, but the issue persisted :( I guess I will have to keep looking for other possible culprits

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Sorry to hear that, though if you bought a new PSU, it didn't go to waste anyway I think.

Have you tried updating/flashing the BIOS of your GPU? I'm veering towards faulty GPU. If BIOS flash doesn't help, you could try RMA'ing the card (after re-flashing the original BIOS back).

Also check your mobo BIOS for "PCI-E Link/State Power Management" or similar and turn it off if enabled/automatic. It should be under Chipset or Power settings.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    in all honesty it sounds to me like a driver issue with the GPU side since you tested the 5770 on the same system and had no such issues.

10. Paehn

Paehn New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5600 XT
    Even with the low CPU temps I would try disabling "CPU TM Function"... to eliminate one other possibility.

11. mexy750

mexy750 Active Member

GPU:
    3x EVGA Titan X SC
    yes, sound like a driver issue to me too, as sounar said, or some weird incompatibility between components.

i would try to test the gpu in another computer, if the issue moves to the other computer RMA GPU.

another random idea would be to check IO activity maybe there is an antivirus or whatever software which kicks the hdd now&then causing the hick-ups...

12. CustomPC

CustomPC New Member

GPU:
    R9 380 G1 Gaming 4GB
    Ignore any comments with regards PSU, Dual Channel Ram etc as completely nonsense.

I have the pretty much identical PC specs on one of my PC's, only difference is Windows 10 and 16GB Ram. Though to shut a few people up, I removed one stick, ran 8GB in single channel and guess what, the exact same framerates in all the games I have played.

So this not being a gaming PC due to not having dual channel ram and a really rubbish low budget i5 processor is absurd.

This 520W PSU runs my R9 380 perfect and also ran R9 290 the same for ayear aswell. Have even GPU overclocked 1075 on Core and 6000 on Memory and no issues even gaming at 1440p

Only things I could possible suggest are basic clean up of your system regards software and drivers.

Also you haven't said but by any chance have you got Intel HD Graphics enabled in bios at ll. If so I recommend disabling via bios and uninstalling all Intel HD Graphics drivers. Also do the same to AMD drivers. Download latest uptodate version for you card and OS and use Gurus DDU to remove all traces of Intel and AMD GRaphics Drivers from your system

Also run DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer to repair your DirectX files.

You will also need to delete MSI afterburner and all config and settings files as well as you want a clean reinstall.

Plus most important remove AMD gaming evolved app.

Reboot and reinstall AMD drivers, use custom option, make sure all checkboxes are selected and install. Reboot and reinstall latest MSI afterburner version, reboot if required after install.

Now one thing you need to remember is go into AMD gaming Evolved app and disable Game Replay, Its automatically set to record in game footage from initial install.

Once you have everything reinstalled try a game and use MSI AB to monitor usage, make sure you are not recording either. Check these latest graphics with the previous ones to note and differences.

At least you have ruled out all issues possibly with software and drivers

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  13. CustomPC

CustomPC New Member

GPU:
    R9 380 G1 Gaming 4GB
    Also try running Unigine Heaven and Valley Benchmarks and monitor, using these 2 are baselines should see you with a constant GPU usage.

One more thing to try and it works, is use MSI afterburner and adjust to Power limit for card to its 12% maximum, don't touch the clock just the power limit.

Just for you here are results for i5-4460, 4GB R9 380, 8GB Ram and Seasonic 520W PSU in both 1080p and 1440p
    F1 2015 at 1080p Ultra AVG 61FPS MAX 73FPS MIN 46FPS
    F1 2015 at 1440p High AVG 49FPS MAX 56FPS MIN 42FPS
    Titanfall at 1080p Insane Maxed AA and AO out 60FPS
    Titanfall at 1440p Insane High 60FPS
    Batman Arkham Knight 1080p Max AVG 60FPS MAX 82FPS MIN 46FPS
    Batman Arkham Knight 1440p Normal AVG 43FPS MAX 57FPS MIN 34FPS
    Witcher 3 1080p High AVG 55FPS MAX 65FPS MIN 45FPS
    Ark Survival(Alpha Release) 1080p Medium AVG 44FPS MAX 50FPS MIN 38FPS
    Heaven Benchmark 72FPS Score 1812
    Valley Benchmark 72.4FPS Score 3029

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    just a long shot, but also check Windows pagefile settings. Some have had problems with Windows automatically setting it to a very low value.

Other thing you could do is see if your BIOS has a setting for High Precision Event Timer (HPET). Try enabling or disabling it if found.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015