In game FPS limiter vs. RTS FPS limiter for purposes of lowering temparature

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Johanna84, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Johanna84

Johanna84 Guest

GPU:
    Laptop 3070
    Hey everyone, this is a really basic question, so sorry if it's supposed to be common knowledge.
    I'm currently using an in game frame limiter while playing Guild Wars 2 to cap FPS so my computer doesn't melt. However, the highest limit for that is 60fps, which does the job of keeping my computer cool but looks quite choppy. I'd like to cap the fps at 100-144 ideally.

It seems that RTSS lets you do this, but does that also have the same effect of stressing the computer less? I've heard people say that in-game frame limiters stop the CPU from generating as many frames, but the RTSS frame limiter only stops the GPU from rendering them; does this mean that the RTSS will do a worse job for what I'm trying to do? If yes or no, why? I'm actually really curious about this.

Just to clarify, I know that some people use the RTSS frame limiter to manage input lag or frametime. I don't really understand this stuff, but I don't care about input lag or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    gw2 looks smooth at 60 on my 144hz display, are you using mixed refresh rate multi display with a video on the slower monitor?

Johanna84 likes this.
  3. Johanna84

Johanna84 Guest

GPU:
    Laptop 3070
    Don't believe so. As a quick correction: 60 FPS doesn't look bad to me. It's just not ideal.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    RTSS is used for the most precise frametimings, in certain games it can push the CPU a bit more than not enabling it, but nothing compared to running the fps uncapped and unless your cooling is really messed up, it won't affect the temps. In-game fps limiters are generally horrible, I have never seen a game dev develop an in-game fps limiter as good as RTSS and I have no idea why. Oh and I use RTSS for both; good temps and ideal framepacing. I'd say just try it and see the results you get, I doubt your temps would be higher than running uncapped fps. Good luck!

Andy_K likes this.