In Depth latency test ryzen latency(help)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by x58haze, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I notice that disabling hpet in windows does a good thing to latency.

Open CMD

And type in the following,reboot after:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock No
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes

Also use this this tool after disabling hpet, https://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool
    Have DPC Lat open,and set the ms to 0.5 and see what happens to your latency.

To re-enable Hpet if it doesn't fix anything:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock Yes
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick No

2. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    I have just discovered just now that HPET should not be disabled in bios

After testing it so terribly in other games, I've found the one game I have instant issues. COD MW 2019

Disabling HPET what caused me high DPC that I posted on the other threads here.

The fix might be to force it disabled also on windows. but I don't care, I will just keep it Enabled for my CPU 1950x. AMD said you can disable it for 2xxx and 3xxx series. so it must stay Enabled for me. At least this tells me finally what to do.

the dxgkrnl.sys is high because that's the Nvidia power-saving always at the start after you restart the computer and run something the first time it turns the clocks up

HPET DISABLED BIOS ONLY

[​IMG]

HPET ENABLED BIOS ONLY

[​IMG]

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You haven't disabled HPET in Windows, there is no way to disable Hpet in from the Operating system end.

You're misunderstanding what your change has done.

bcdedit /set useplatformclock No is the same as bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

System chooses what timer it needs based on weighting and windows preference.
    HPET is still an option if an application specifically wants it.

HPET enabled in bios doesn't cause process to interrupt latency unless you've got BCDedit modifications forcing it to be used.

AMD is wrong, the 2xxx and 3xxx both experience the standby issue unless HPET is enabled in bios and not forced in windows.

You cannot in any way disable HPET from Windows, only force it (or not(default)) as the only clock used

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Not talking about what happens. I'm just saying the game doesn't freeze and I don't have high dpc to 99k, do you have explanation?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DPC Lat is not compatible with 8 or 10.

I don't have your computer in front of me to find out whats wrong, there is something messed up with it though because you shouldn't see 7k dpc latency or 12k process > interrupt latency regardless of hpet availability.

whats the output of just bcdedit run without command switches?

Ryzen master mistakenly forces HPET to be the main platform clock, no application should ever do so, its not required for the correct operation of a 1950, even if you are bclk overclocking.

6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Thanks for explaining ! It does make my latency much more stable especially when using TImerTool . On default my latency when checking with DPClat averages at 1000, after these changes and TimerTool enabled its balanced at 500 with no drops or spikes.

Latencymon results https://imgur.com/a/6ebgPPA

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you turned off SMT and C states?

8. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Yup

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Every time when launching the game somehow and randomly the game decided to switch between NODE0 and NODE1 and I didn't take notice of that. So sometimes when launching it worked fine and closing reopening it wouldn't. after seeing that I saw it works fine on NODE1 with SMT and NODE0 without SMT.