Improved airflow due to the chimney effect with ALTA SilverStone

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    As soon as there is a single fan installed (aka FORCED air), that chimney effect is useless,
    same reason i laugh when ppl talk about "heat rising", while rig isnt (completely) passive..

3. Flinch

Flinch Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070 GTX
    You can do more with less fans if the sides were closed. A bit of a Xbox Series X clone though, I am waiting for the next stage where they back to back the Graphics card and Mainboard on a central carrier and wrap it. Pretty much a Series X configuration through and through at that point.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    didnt evga version of this set on fire?

rl66 likes this.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    syure, still doesn't change the fact that any chimney effect will be irrelevant once a fan is introduced.

and i had external pump/passive rad in 2006, with a single 120 fan for the case, so this isnt any news for ppl really interested in running less fans

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  6. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    in the real world this might add maybe .002% in performance. honestly as soon as you put a fan in the mix it completely wipes out any thermal dissipation of heat from it rising to to ambient conditions.

fry178 likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting but if chimey effect is what they where after i would put exasht fan at the top no intake fan at bottom

8. wheelie

wheelie Guest

GPU:
    980Ti / 6G
    Well yeah, but OTOH, a vertical case that exhausts to top rather than the back certainly makes a lot of sense on a lot of desks. I'm interested in this and would be even more if it had a clean front instead of that venting, that's so ugly because some engineer tried really hard to make it look interesting.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Heat goes from bottom to upside without any fan anyway ( i have done enough industrial and inboard passive cooled computer ).
    But something is wrong with the cool but useless mesh side, closed but less cool side should be better.
    also the CPU and GPU should be in the right direction, (horizontal fin = heat keeper)

In the end it's more a vertical bentch with a mesh protection, and only that, but i like the look...
    On other hand real passive chassis are lot more compact and generaly are more ugly (except the one for Intel NUC )