Improve DLSS performance/quality - DLSS swapper

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by southamptonfc, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Deathloop just add DLSS 2.3.0 in a new patch, enabling DLAA along with Adaptive Resolution (switch between DLSS mode automatically to main a Target FPS)

4K Native vs 4K DLAA (74FPS vs 71FPS)
    https://imgsli.com/NzY4OTQ

Seems like the DLL shipped with Deathloop is the same as the one in the SDK, still the same smearing in CP2077.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Though in Deathloop, 2.3.0 seems to be fine. My impression is that 2.3.0 shows less jitter for thin lines than 2.2.x. In snowstorms you can easily notice smearing with both 2.3.0 and 2.2.11, so it looks like 2.3.0 is the better deal here.
    Game btw. looks better with DLSS balanced than with native TXAA (DLSS smearing is usually by far less annoying than the disturbing jitter of TXAA), seems to be properly implemented with negative texture LOD bias.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    DLAA looks the best and completely suppresses the jittering so I'm gonna go with that :D, FPS is good enough with DLAA anyways.

Another new title with DLSS support is Baldur's Gate 3, came with 2.3.0 too and also exhibits smearing, fixed by switching back to 2.2.11
    Baldur's Gate 3 has a sharpness slider that is usable for Native, DLSS and FSR.
    4K Native vs 4K DLSS Quality (69FPS vs 90FPS, sharpeness slider at 50% for both)
    https://imgsli.com/NzY5OTM
    Probably a bit too sharp with DLSS at 50% sharpness

OnnA and aufkrawall2 like this.
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Looks like they didn't adjust LOD bias. If they did, Q would show more texture detail than no DLSS. :(
    Who knows why some devs don't do it. I suppose either they want to avoid the effort to enable it for "detail textures" (not sure what would be the right term here) only, or they underestimate how well DLSS suppresses texture shimmering.

Spets and Noisiv like this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    that is insanely low fps hit... what gives

6. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Well because the input resolution is 4K and the output is also 4K, not much work for the tensore cores to do I guess, only 0.6ms increase in frametime vs 2ms upscaling from 1440p to 4K.
    Every game should feature DLAA, this would be the clearest and most performant AA available.

Spets, Noisiv, OnnA and 1 other person like this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    No impact :p Yes please...

8. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    DLAA looking pretty good :D
    Back 4 Blood has their DLL updated to 2.2.11.

Krizby likes this.
  9. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    I made a clip

DLAA is like magic for Deathloop, superior visual quality with minimal performance impact

I don't see any smearing with DLAA during snowstorm (2.2.11), snowfall look the same as with Native representation.

Maddness, Spets and pharma like this.
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Try jumping when looking at e.g. a lantern:
    [​IMG]
    Was also smearing for me in native 1440p with "DLAA" 2.2.11. It gets worse with upsampling, but not by much, and I can use the performance gain with the 3060 in open areas.
    That's really the worst case so far, hardly any smearing noticeable otherwise.

Crysis 2 Remastered btw. ships 2.3.1. It unfortunately doesn't do LOD adjustment, but it seems you can do it via driver without bad side effects in this game (-1.5 probably is a good value, especially with HQ texture filtering setting. Edit: -1 might be a bit more reasonable against moire effects that are not uncommon in this game.).
    DLSS makes animated trees appear blurry in this game. However this is less distracting than the blur that engages with TAA when starting to move.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Noisiv likes this.

11. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Seems like 2.3.2 is my new favorite
    Much less smearing than 2.3.0 and 2.3.1 while maintaining very good IQ
    https://imgsli.com/Nzc1NjM
    Sharpen+ was not used, DLSS Balanced seems to resolve more fine details than Native, though those thin objects still break apart when moving. DLSS Quality and Balanced look practically the same for still image, with Quality mode looks slightly better when moving.

Noisiv, Spets and OnnA like this.
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    2.3.2 still smears more in Doom Eternal than 2.2.11. 2.3.2 also smears a (tiny) bit in SotTR (Kuwaq Yaku), however temporal stability and pixel jittering really is vastly improved vs. 2.2.11. I think the slightly more smearing is acceptable in this case. Though hopefully they'll find a way to reduce smearing again by keeping the strengths of 2.3. Picture with 2.3 looks more super sampled, also after sharpen. Really impressive.

Spets and OnnA like this.
  13. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That's great news, looking forward to trying it.

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Curious why there writing on the building (under the gun barrel) with Native but none with DLAA?

15. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Those writing disappear after some time, because I recorded the DLAA clip after the Native one, the text was already gone.

pharma likes this.

16. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hey guys weird thing I posted on the driver thread which I always follow and happen to catch this browsing through anyways anyone know what data people are missing from that DLSS background program running with geforce experience? I always cut it out of my driver never have used it once? Also anyone else notice shadow of the Tomb Raider has something weird going on it was supposed to be updated with this driver to 2.3x but I downloaded it and saw it has 1.0.0.5 still and some new nvidia dll with an nvgx prefix I have never seen? the dll is only 4 megabytes and tried to replace it and the game didn't even recognize dlss? Seems better than 1.0 but BF5 is only 1.0 game I ever played so not sure?

17. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider reverted the latest patch (with DLSS 2.3) due to bugs. If you have it on Steam, go to Properties --> Betas --> select build449 to bring back the latest patch.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Fortnite has updated DLSS from 2.1.xx to 2.2.6 (best version for this game afaict). :)

Krizby likes this.
  19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    From what I read on the Steam forums, they screwed up the integration with Epic games services to enable cross play.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Doom Eternal now ships DLSS 2.3.0, but it still smears more than 2.2.11. It also offers DLSS sharpen slider, which I find useless, as it causes ringing just like the in-game sharpen. I really wouldn't combine both and the game's own sharpen should already be enough for even DLSS performance. 2.2.11 still works fine with the new patch version of the game, but it seems without DLSS sharpen.

The new 2.3.3 DLSS version from Swords of Legends Online causes severe ghosting issues in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but it seems to work fine in Deathloop. Like other 2.3 versions, it also has smearing issues in Doom Eternal.