Important note: GeForce GTX 460 v2/GTX 460 SE v2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AcceleratorX, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    I came across "v2" of GeForce GTX 460 when looking at NVIDIA's 280.26 driver release notes. There was relatively little information on these products. However, I then saw this on Palit's site:

http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1828

The above link indicates that the GeForce GTX 460 cards have been gimped with 192-bit memory bus and higher clocks to compensate for the same. Given that the cards still boast 1GB of memory, I'd say the memory configuration of these cards is similar to that of the GeForce GTX 550 Ti (i.e. possibly "flex" memory configuration with full 192-bit bandwidth going to 768MB memory and only 32/64-bit bandwidth going to the remaining 256MB).

This presents possibly significant performance implications for the GeForce GTX 460 cards, and thus the newer V2 cards may not approach the performance of the older cards, especially at high resolutions with AA/AF.

Theory is that these are "reject" GF114 cores rather than GF104 cores. Someone will have to find out for sure.

For now Palit and MSI are selling these V2 cards (including maybe an MSI HAWK model). Other brands, for now, still seem to be selling the old GTX 460 cards.

(The same applies for GTX 460 SE V2 - it seems to be a 192-bit version with higher clocks compared to the normal GeForce GTX 460 SE, which now potentially makes it worse than the GeForce GTX 550 Ti).

Further reading (this thread was also started recently, so it may be worth following):

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=210977

Also, NVIDIA's GeForce site is worth a look:

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-460/specifications

Since the GTX 460 is a well respected card with good performance in its price range - if any of you are looking to pick one up for SLI or a new PC, please be aware of this change in the GTX 460.

It's just gotten one step closer to the 550 Ti.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Won't apps like GPU-Z show the bus width on those cards? I have a pair of the 'older' GTX460's (Asus 1GB) and they show 256bit in GPU-Z :)

3. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    GPU-Z will likely need to be updated to display the changed information on these new cards. Someone with one of these cards really needs to post a pic of what GPU-Z reports, I'd like to see whether these are GF114 based cards or not.

4. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    UPDATE: It seems the GTX 460 is going to end-of-life and will be discontinued soon, and the GF114 based GTX 460 v2 is limited stock available for a short time. Also note that this 192-bit model can't be used for SLI with the old GTX 460.

It seems that in most cases it is faster than the old GTX 460, but nobody has done a full 1GB load test at very high resolutions with AA and AF yet, where it might have lower or the same performance.

However, the GTX 460 SE v2 still looks like a "second 550 Ti", so I really don't understand why this card exists.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=58945860

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I know this thread is a couple months old....but since little information is available about the GTX460 V2, I thought I'd ask the nice people over at eVGA about it....and, here's the e-mail response (including the applicable portion of my original inquery)...

Obviously I had to remove 3 details....my eVGA username, e-mail addy and the Customer Support employee's lastname. Hopefully that might help someone....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Err.. That's 3 details :banana:

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Updated...thank you. It was late when I found the e-mail from evga.

8. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    15% difference seems about right given the clock speeds. Since it's the GF114 core, it might OC well. Anyone tried OCing a V2 card?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If I can get past other problems, I might pick one up to replace my current 460....then I can do a "side by side" comparison.

10. jumpboy8

jumpboy8 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    I have one of those, I tried overclocking it but so far the results have been quite disappointing, couldn't get it over 850/2050 (Core/Memory). I'd like to try overvolting the GPU, but it looks locked in MSI Afterburner, do I have to edit the bios of the card?

11. preludemeltdown

preludemeltdown New Member

GPU:
    gtx 460
    Although ive read guru3d forums for years, i never bothered to register or post anything. until i came across this thread.

I had a gtx460 1gb origional, bought a gtx460 V2SE intending to SLI. didnt realize there was a difference.

Anyhow, I ended up doing a little bit of benchmarking with both cards set to stock in my computer using 3dMark and playing Crysis (origional) with all settings maxed and 4x AA on my 1920x1080 Samsung.

Ultimatelly both cards preform about the same. Their 3dmarks scores are less then a hundred apart, well within a margin of error or whatever. Both are EVGA and both are using their stock coolers.

Until you overclock.

I can say that without a shadow of a doubt- the SEv2 is superior to the origional. Im currently running my s2v2 at 1050 core and 2200memory and i have not once ever seen my gpu temp cross a single degree over 55c nor had any stability issues. My origional 460 was not a very good overclocker at all.

I see about 8 to 12 FPS more in Crysis with my sev2 when both are overclocked. This aint nothin' in my book.

Bizzare though it sounds, it seems that 192bit is not a gimping factor at all. it makes me wonder if memeory bus is a little overrated from the get go.

I ended up E-Baying my old 460 and feeling plenty happy with my new one to not need to SLI it at all... for the time being.

12. Castaa

Castaa New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GT 240 512MB DDR5
    Excellent info. Thanks. But according to nvidia's site. There isn't such thing as a GTX 460 SE v2.

But given your review of the GTX 460 v2 part, I did purchase one for $90 (after rebate) on Newegg. I plan to overclock it to the max to fact play Crysis 1 in all its glory or as much glory as the card will allow. ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012