Immortals of Aveum

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OnnA, Apr 13, 2023.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Typical DLSS preset D failure, somebody should ask Nvidia why they keep up with that useless crap preset.

Slave2Games likes this.
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I tried the demo for about an hour, and it's as bad as people said it was. Maybe worse.
    The game does have advanced tech, due to UE5. But it looks really bad. The art style is terrible and because of that, everything looks mediocre.
    To make things much worse, there isn't even an option to disable crap like motion blur, chromatic aberration and film grain.
    And the characters, although they have a lot of detail, they fall on the uncanny valley, so the result is terrible.
    The story and characters are just plain generic fantasy. Very uninspired and talentless.
    Unfortunately, there are a ton of cutscenes and dialogs. All of them bland and mediocre. Just a constant dump of exposition.
    And to add insult to injury, there isn't an option to skip this crap.
    Combat is also basic and generic. So there is little on offer here.
    If it wasn't for games like Gollum and King Kong, this would probably be the worst game of the year.

syklonis and PhazDelta like this.
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    If the demo is the beginning of the game, it's not really representative for later level exploration. Not saying it will turn into a gold piece, but I found e.g. Ratchet & Clank far, far more boring.
    But ack on the game often looking poorly designed and thus ugly. The team apparently wasn't fit for a game of that scale. It has some good moments though.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I tried the demo, didn't finish it.
    I was ready for the demo to be done long before I quit, but it kept going. So I just quit.

The visuals are nice, but... the characters are forgettable, poorly written and don't ever shut up.
    The movement felt odd, combat felt bland, flat and hollow.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Seems like it's coming to Gamepass and PS+, soon enough:

Speaking with Windows Central, Ascendant Studios CEO Bret Robbins

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This game reminds me of a typical UE3 game from the 360 era. Like Timeshift, or BlackSite Area 51. A new IP, but forgettable. I'll buy it if it goes on sale for a decent price soon. I don't think it's completely terrible. Something nostalgic about it.

OnnA likes this.
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Timeshift is an amazing game. Too bad that it launched almost at the same time with Crysis... which completely eclipsed it.

I've never seen any other game (please feel free to correct me) where you can just reverse timeflow and do various shyte that would otherwise not be possible in normal timeflow (for example, standing on a falling rock, which in reverse time is going up, so you can reach an otherwise unreachable place)

OnnA, Undying and Serotonin like this.
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    You're right. It was and still is alone in its genre to the best of my knowledge. I enjoyed it, controls could be difficult to get used to, but I guess I meant games not well received by reviewers and gamers at the time. I don't think many gave Timeshift a chance. I didn't mind Area 51 either honestly. And one thing about Immortal is the fact it's an FPS. And those oddly seem to be less prominent these days. At least based on what I play. I miss having a ton of fps to choose from. So again, if it goes on sale, I'll grab it.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I've finished both at that time :D (somewhat different games IMhO).

Serotonin likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Finished few days ago :p (9/10) (With FG Mod, ~90FPS average)
    Great game overall.
    For Hexen/Heretic fans out there - love letter for Magic FPS IMhO

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I've been playing this a little at a time. I'm on believe, Chapter 4 now. It's really not a bad game. Runs fine, using dlss3 and have dsr pushing it above 4k. A stutter once in a while, very minimal. A texture load here and there also minimal. It's repetitive, sure. But I'm having fun. It's not GOTY by any means but it's fun for what it is. My only real issue is you can't skip the cut scenes and the dialogue. It's too much sometimes. But for the price I paid during the Holiday sale, it's worth it. Actually enjoying this more than Robocop which I still haven't finished.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  12. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I been playing timeshift recently and it's definitely one of the better FPS shooters from the 2000s. No doubt over shadowed and poorly marketed by Activision...like any game they publish that's not CoD. Also I think the game used an inhouse engine and not UE.

I might get immortals when it's in a deep sale.

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Also finished the game a month ago. Kinda liked it, also soundtrack was refreshing. But the game would have been much better if it had been about science-fiction stuff and not some weird magic mumbo-jumbo. And more realistic and different weapons, e.g. more like Bulletstorm.

Serotonin likes this.
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Still playing this a chapter at a time. I'm impressed. It's one of the few games I've come across in a long time that feels like it has some soul to it. Not understanding all the hate it got other than performance issues at first.

OnnA likes this.
  15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I guess Nvidia still doesn't enable rBAR for the game profile by default. Enabling it reduces stutter a lot when panning the camera in areas like Pale Forest, but made terrain textures load slower. Though that seems to got improved via updates (or the 7800 XT likes it better than the 6700 XT/4070, can't say).

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Archvile82 likes this.
  17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You really shouldn't bash other games like that when you like boring garbage like Remnant 2...

18. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    It's not going to matter how many A's your game's budget has, or what the rest of the market is doing, if it's simply not a very good game. I think at its very core, a first person shooter that is both filled with colorful magic but also with a game world that takes itself seriously, is not an easy sell. That no-one was really interested, at any point, before or after release, says the problem was the game itself, not outside circumstances.

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Developers of these failed games always learn the wrong lessons and blame anyone and anything but themselves. It's not like they created a masterpiece. It's sitting at 69 Metascore... almost no one bought it because your game just isn't good. Simple as that.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wasnt this game like running sub 720p on consoles with said scaling, complete with all of it ugly glory?