Immortals of Aveum

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OnnA, Apr 13, 2023.

1. BoomSlang001

BoomSlang001 Member

GPU:
    4090 FE
    That's a good point and something I thought of minutes after posting that. I do think nanite throws all of that off. Plenty of games oddly recommend x8 instead of x16 for me by default, but they don't utilize UE5. Still, Fortine has shown that UE5 is still UE and can be scalable and optimized for older hardware. That is certainly not on display here. The starting area is small and bland, and that bad, inconsistent performance doesn't seem warranted. However, if someone has "best settings", I'd be open to trying to get it running well and give it a chance. I'm not sure about pool sizes for my 3080 and its puny VRAM, for instance.

2. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks I do not have a AMD card to play with right now.Maybe I go pick up 7900XTX,seen a sale a few days ago.Going to check it out to see if still available

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have played the game now for about 2.5 hours. I think the game is fine, occasionally more than fine, but it's definitely lacking in that special something that makes it a great game. It really only stands out by virtue of being the first Unreal Engine 5 game to use all the so-called "next-gen" features.

Does the game look nice? Yes, it does but it's clear that the graphics engine and ambitious tech behind it has resulted in the game being essentially a corridor shooter rather than one with an ambitious open expansive level design. It might have a next-gen engine but the level design is distinctly old-school here. The lighting is nice, there's a lot of dense geometric detail in the graphics but the levels I've played have been fairly repetitive with only a few more open areas, which is where you predictably get a cutscene followed by facing off against hoards of enemies. The start of the game showcased a city area that looked great but it was full of non-interactive and dead-eyed NPCs that kind of marred the atmosphere slightly. Walk right up to any NPC and they just stare blankly back at you, neither reacting to your presence or even speaking.

Despite the game being linear... so far anyway... there are secret chests to be found with gold off the beaten path but these are not difficult to find and the game always tells you where to need to go next even though it is pretty obvious (you cannot get lost in this game!). Enemies typically see you and run at you, like a DOOM clone; there's no sense of competing with next-gen AI here. The game runs well on my system on basically maxed out graphics settings at 1440p, even with 8x AF despite the CPU counter showing as 355/277! The game runs mostly smooth but there are the usual UE traversal stutters; disappointing to see in a game running on a next-gen engine. However, it's nowhere near as bad as some other Unreal Engine 4 games I've played this year and hopefully with some patches these issues can be fixed completely.

The cutscenes have been very good graphically, nicely choreographed and well-acted and I am finding the main protagonist to be perhaps a bit cocky and "know-it-all" but mostly he's fine. The game has a lot of lore and background info but... and I hate to say this... the game throws so much stuff at you, most of it having to be read from collectibles and stuff, that it ultimately makes it seem far less interesting. The game reminds me of so many different games... there's the DNA of Godfall (visual design), Destiny (in the upgrade screens) and even Anthem in there.

I wouldn't say I dislike the game, despite the criticisms, it's a serviceable 6 or 7/10 shooter in my opinion but I suspect that I will have forgotten about this game in a year's time. The combat can be mindlessly fun though, like DOOM, but more colourful, and the levels are interspersed with quieter moments and a few (very easy to solve) puzzles. I can't help feeling that this could have been something special if EA hadn't been publishing it but at least the game does have microtransactions Iwell, not yet anyway!).

Not awful then but not brilliant either.

Skinner and SpajdrEX like this.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. Does anyone know what the two Mesh (or whatever they are called) options are for at the bottom of the Graphics menu? There's no description and on my system both are set to Low but changing them to High has no affect on the GPU or CPU budgets. Also, the slider below can also be maxed out without changing either GPU or CPU. So what do these settings do? Should they be left on Low or maxed out?

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This and Fort Solis bring a 4090 to it's knees for no reason at all. Both of them UE 5.

7. Aluminium Can

Aluminium Can Master Guru

GPU:
    7900 xt
    Ahh but do they bring other cards down to their knee's for no reason? Or is it just because you own a 4090?

Lbuipo and Darren Hodgson like this.
  8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If a 4090 can't manage at 1440P, then things are getting really ugly. Imagine what happens to good cards like a 3080 or a 6800XT. These UE 5 games are utterly garbage and it has nothing to do with what I own.

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    UE5 seems to lean very heavily on image reconstruction on PC and, especially, the consoles where they are being reconstructed from a base resolution of 720p-1080p up to 4K. I guess that is the price for having new technologies like Nanite (to eliminate pop in) and Lumen (advanced global illumination)? I will say that the improvements are hard to really notice or appreciate while playing and that the game could well be using UE4 for all I know. In fact, in the case of Fort Solis, I actually thought that game was running on UE4 but, nope, it is actually UE5 and also uses Luman and Nanite. Sure, both these games look great but without side by side comparisons I could not honestly say that they look better than other recent UE4 games such as The Callisto Protocol for example (which Fort Solis is similar visually to).

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  10. Aluminium Can

GPU:
    7900 xt
    Then mention all cards next time.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    When I hear ''is built with reconstruction in mind'' all I see is dev laziness. DLSS/FSR/XeSS will make them even more lazy, especially FSR 3 and DLSS 3.

I will mention whatever I want.

BoomSlang001 and serbicu like this.
  12. Aluminium Can

GPU:
    7900 xt
    I can hear the buyers remorse loud and clearly, I feel sorry for you for being duped.
    '
    It's a lot of money for some upscaling filters.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There is no ''buyers remorse'' here, a 4090 is the best thing money can buy today. Tell us though, how's your 7900XT doing with the blurry FSR upsaling and the ''nowhere to be found FSR 3'' ?

14. Aluminium Can

GPU:
    7900 xt
    I paid not even half the amount you paid.

How's that buyers remorse?

15. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    jeez its still ati/amd vs nvidia thing?

16. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I don't think it's lazy, just the tech is resource hungry. Consoles been using reconstruction tech for years providing good image quality with performance so I don't see a problem. 4090 runs these games awesome when using these features at 4k.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    Slave2Games likes this.
  17. Aluminium Can

GPU:
    7900 xt
    Always was, it's just masked through "Intellectualism"

People that frequent forums are those types, they want to tell people how great they are for buying some hardware.

I just happen to pull no punches and read between the lines.

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The ''tech'' should justify the performance hit by delivering great visuals. Sadly, It's far from it or I fail to see the wow factor here.

You are just trying hard to start a flame war here but it will fail because I don't bite.

19. Aluminium Can

GPU:
    7900 xt
    People used tin foil to say upscalers will be used as a crutch, seems to be true in some games, goodbye RT perf I guess.

Edit... I am honest and direct... and you bit.

20. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I do agree regarding the performance hit we are seeing for the visuals on display. Unfortunately it must be how the engine operates at this moment in time. As Devs get used to using UE5 feature set you hope they will find ways to make it run better.