I'm trying to save a bird

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by inklimited, Dec 3, 2009.

1. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    So I was hanging out my washing this morning, when I heard something moving in the corner of the yard. At first I thought it was a half dead rat, but it turned out to be a juvenile pidgeon. The thing could barely stand, eyes shut, feet balled up. At the moment, I left it and hung out my washing, then I figured I'd help it out, it's a boiling hot summers day, it could just be hungry/thirsty.

So I tipped out the rest of my milk in the bottle, cut a small dish and filled it with water. The bird was in the corner of the fence, which is just concrete and metal, so I pulled one of my shelves out to make it a shelter from the sun.

I'm not touching it, birds can carry diseases, especially pidgeons. Bleh.

Anyways, I left it for a few hours, and I went and checked on it a little while ago, and the sun has moved a bit so the shelter is not as effective. So I moved the wood to give him more shade, and the little battler tries to fly away! Nothing special, just head butting the fence and house about waist high, and he lands under the house, which is a good thing because now he has better shelter and a bit of cool breeze.

So all might be good. The birdy might live and I might not have to clean up a dead bird. Double win...

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Don't spiders live under your houses? I spent a month in Aus in May so your Winter but only saw one, but my family said kids before have climbed under to get a ball and been bitten and died.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Trying to remember what we used to feed birds when we bred them.

Think it was water + Millet.

Something like that anyway.
    Put water there, probably as much as you're going to be able to do.
    Problem with babies, if you touch them anyway, the parents kick them out and kill them anyway.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    If you don't touch them, you're fine. Kids get bit because thier heads brush against the beams and the spiders fall into thier shirts.

And, some houses/areas are worse than others. Where I am ATM is pretty spider free.

@Finch: I don't want to feed it. I don't really have anything, and water+seeds can kill them. This little guy can fly a bit (now), so he should be OK. He was really messed up this morning. If I didn't put the shade there, he would be dead by now for sure. It's hitting mid 30s.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

5. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    In a last-ditch scenario, you can shoo it into a cardboard box and give it to a wildlife/Veteranarian/animal rescue or refuge.

6. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    It's just a pidgeon... they carry disease, and they are vermin. If it were a native, I'd call animal rescue. All I can do is keep an eye on it. Sounds cruel, but it's the way of the land. :/

7. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Shoot it with a pellet gun. Make sure its dead. If it can't fly, its as good as dead, and if its injured you're just prolonging its suffering.

8. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    i have birds too, if it cant fly your gonna have to unfortunately kill it, abandon it, or take care of it. This is a decision you must make.

9. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I think it's OK. He's gone.

He was doing alot better the last time I saw him. He went from not being able to even keep his feet open, to standing up and trying to fly away.

I reckon if I stressed him out and put him in a box, or left him sweltering on hot concrete he would've died for sure. That's birds for ya'. Little stress heads. :D

10. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Cat will get him sooner or later anyway