I'm not sure if this is a good one

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by MaGn0lia, Nov 22, 2002.

1. MaGn0lia

MaGn0lia Guest

I would like to see you guys to make a article about GeForce FX and Radeon 9700 pro, I would like to knowhow they differ from each other, especially I would like to know what can be done with GeForce FX what radeon 9700 can't do, I'm really worried about the technicall loss I will be doing if I go with radeon 9700, all tho it is out now, so I would not have to wait for six months for nVidia to ship the chips. I'm a 3d modeller and fx artist, so I need to know what I can do with my next new GPU so I don't need to buy new one right away.

Sorry for the bad spelling but I'm on a hurry.
    Please reply.

2. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

I would like to write the article :D

3. hazindu

hazindu Guest

Nvidia cards have always been better than ati or matrox for non gaming 3d apps. The geforce 4 easily beat both parhelia and radeon 9700 in professional benchmarking.

It's a safe bet that geforce 5(fx sounds gay and i refuse to say it) will be the better buy for you

I'll see if I can find that article and link to it for you, but i really don't remember where i found it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2002
  4. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

geforce fx is a sign of respect for 3dfx, the creator of 3d gaming hardware. why is saying it so hard?

5. hazindu

hazindu Guest

Well Dave, I was joking earlier when I called the name gay, but I'm not now.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF CRAP I'VE HEARD ALL DAY.

6. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Fx is far from gay, it's very nostalgic. if anythig's gay it's all these number names.

7. hazindu

hazindu Guest

lol, Another comment from WeaZel.

Your absolutely right, using the ever trendy letter "x" does not reflect sexual preference. And in nvidia's defence at least they are not using it as "extreme" but instead as "effects".

I do have a question for you Mr. Smartyman, how do all these number names reflect the sexual preference of an inanimate object, "if anythig's gay it's all these number names."

well, if you can't think of anything intelligent to post maybe you should just stick with correcting other people's grammer errors. I'm sure I left plenty of them for you.

8. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

"It's a safe bet that geforce 5(fx sounds gay and i refuse to say it) will be the better buy for you"

You started with the calling an inanimate object gay.

The FX I'm sure stands for 3Dfx, quite the kickass company of their time which nVidia acquired. No doubt since the release of the geforce3, that nVidia's incorparated some bit of 3Dfx's tech in their cards. I'm sure by now that the FX has quite the amount of 3Dfx's ex-engineer's digging in there and adding this or that.

About the number name thing. So in all honesty Geforce2, Geforce3 and Geforce4 should've been followed by another number? Ya because they are so similiar :rolleyes:. Same with the Pentium, Pentium II, Penitum III and Pentium 4. The P4 is so far from being a PII that the name Pentium alone is "gay", "Oh but we lost the roman numbers".

Still a little hissy about me defending a fellow member eh?

Poor girl.

9. hazindu

hazindu Guest

Well MaGn0lia, I search through the savagenews archives, but I was unable to find the link to the article i mentioned earlier.

I'll keep looking though.

As for WeaZel

What the hell is your problem?

(1)""It's a safe bet that geforce 5(fx sounds gay and i refuse to say it) will be the better buy for you"

You started with the calling an inanimate object gay."

:rolleyes:As I said before you butted in, i was kidding

(2)"The FX I'm sure stands for 3Dfx, quite the kickass company of their time which nVidia acquired. No doubt since the release of the geforce3, that nVidia's incorparated some bit of 3Dfx's tech in their cards. I'm sure by now that the FX has quite the amount of 3Dfx's ex-engineer's digging in there and adding this or that."

:rolleyes: it stands for special effects

(3)"About the number name thing. So in all honesty Geforce2, Geforce3 and Geforce4 should've been followed by another number? Ya because they are so similiar . Same with the Pentium, Pentium II, Penitum III and Pentium 4. The P4 is so far from being a PII that the name Pentium alone is "gay", "Oh but we lost the roman numbers".

Still a little hissy about me defending a fellow member eh?

Poor girl."

how is that relavent to anything I said?

10. hazindu

hazindu Guest

11. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Come again?

12. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    hazindudo do you have a problem???

13. MaGn0lia

MaGn0lia Guest

Thanks -hazindu- for your answere.

As for all you, I'm afraid to post anything in this forum, because I'm not sure if you're trying to attack my sexuality or just saying that I have a problem, but few of my toughts, Fx was a good acuire from nVidia because it was originally registered by 3dFx but now that nVidia owns 3dFx and all that it had, nVidia put use that name, and I think that the numbering should have long ago be gone, after GeForce 2 the whole arkitechture chamned and it was nothing to be compared to the previos design, as for it being gay, well I'm not an expert in this area, but I know few things about marketting and advertising, mostly because that is my job, and believe that it is way easier to sell products with higher order number than the last one, because it is similiar to the thinking that 4 is bigger and better thatn 3 or 2, but nVidia has encountered and will encounter difficulties selling a product with the name FX. As for the GeForce product line, they are keeping it just like Ati is keeping their Radeon product lines, there has been millions of dollars spent on the branding these names, but there is no need for branding a bigger number as because the bigger number allways better than the smaller.

14. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

No actually it's cinematic fx, not special.

speaking of "special" anyone having a hard time showing members the respect they deserve will get my special treatment. Understand?

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Let me clear this up for you.

The NV30 was partly developed by the 3dfx crew that joined nvidia after it was aquired. There is 3dfx technology in the GeForce FX.

Although confusing with Cinematic FX etc the name really is based on geforce + 3dfx thus GeForce FX.

NVIDIA stated this in the press-presentation.

16. hazindu

hazindu Guest

funny how the only person trying to answer the thread goes under attack.

Well Dave, I am sorry for offending you. This is difficult for me, because where I come from, oversensitivity is a trait for the women. I was under the impression that a forum was a group of "freinds" so I did quite a bit of joking around. I though I made it clear in my second post that I was joking about fx being gay but I apparently hit a nerve. I am sorry for offending you and your people.

Let my mistake be a lession for you all, you are not among friends.

btw fx=special effects may have been wrong, but it was much closer than fx=tribute to 3dfx

I hope we can put this to rest

17. fahad

fahad Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB/Hitachi CML174B
    actually 3dfx would be closer:

see:D