im lost, please help :( windows won't boot

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jetfx, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    is an old.. really old computer, win98.

i need to know if its possible to change the startup services from outside the system.

i installed a new software and ever since the computer wont boot, and it complains about an specific service crashing. i need to disable that service, but since it won't boot, i must do it connecting the drive to another computer.

i have no idea how to access or even where to find and manually remove or add a new service,
    Heeeelp please :bang:

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    How far do you get when booting up? can you not access safe mode and remove the software from there?

What did you install?

3. Phatzy

Phatzy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850
    what did u exactly did you install O/S?
    what is the system specs?
    it could be a bad installation just reformat and start again

4. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    no chance to go safe mode,
    its a pentium mmx 133mhz, lol 64mb ram lolx2, 1gb D.D. lolx3, you don't want to know the rest

i didn't post the specs because i know it wont make a difference in this case.

i installed an utility with administrative to use with a software called Aspel SAE.
    which i have used in this computer for ages.

here is the catch.. i cant create a backup of all my info, if i cant start the program (SAE). for security reasons is not possible to just copy the files and paste them in a new installed computer.
    i must use the SAE to render the backup of the info.
    also wont work using another computer with the same software (sae)

for that same reason i cant just reformat the drive

.. that's why i need to find a way to modify the services manually with another computer.

aahhh :( heeeelp

5. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I have no idea if you can do this in Windows 98... but is there any reason you can't just put the drive into another computer and load the services.msc from the HDD? This all counts on the files being in Windows 98, but since I don't have Windows 98 anymore I can't check on that.

6. ricky01

ricky01 New Member

GPU:
    Brand
    ok boot the system in safe mode..go to control panel and remove recently installed program..this is simple thing to do...but it depends if your system will boot with safe mode ...

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    why cant you get into safe mode? How far does the boot process get? maybe you can use a boot disk and get access to DOS and del or disable anything from there. Not very familar with DOS so cant help there.

What are you wanting to back up? your entire system? or jus a few files, pictures and what not

Oh you wanna backup stuff from the ASPEL sae program? what are you using this program for?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    If it was XP it would have been easy, well providing you know the name of the service that is (recovery console > disable service name).

---

To tell the truth i don't know jack about troubleshooting 9x (95/98/ME) so I'm not sure what the best way to fix such a problem is. But one option i think is to try restoring the registry from a backup.

Start 98 in MS-DOS mode, for ME you apparently have to use a boot disk.

At the prompt type scanreg /restore

You should be presented with a list of backups with dates, pick the one you know is from before you installed the software and see if it works.

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry

How To Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me

How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually

Windows ME Boot Disk Download

---I'm just mentioning this, no step by step (not sure i can even give it).

Windows ME actually comes with System Restore, but i can't figure out how to use it on a unbootable system, don't think you can use it like XP from outside a booted system (i can't find the info). You can revert a System Restore using a boot disk but that's no help here. You can also install another copy of ME in a folder on the same partition as the old install and that will keep the old restore info, you might then be able to restore the old system to the new, but again i have no clue how that works. You might also be able to edit the old registry using the new install, remove the service startup and try booting the old system.

How to run System Restore in Windows ME
    http://windowsreinstall.com/windowsme/tips/system_restore.htm

Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267951/EN-US/

How to Install Windows Millennium Edition in a New Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277648/EN-US/

I can think of other ways, say renaming the file (servicename.exe.old) from outside ME, or offline editing of the registry.

---More links

How to Troubleshoot Windows Millennium Edition Startup Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=273738

INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179365

Windows 95, 98 & ME Support Center
    http://aumha.org/win4/

Resource Kit
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win98/reskit/part6/wrkc31.mspx?mfr=true

9. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    Alexstarfire I have no idea if you can do this in Windows 98... but is there any reason you can't just put the drive into another computer and load the services.msc from the HDD? This all counts on the files being in Windows 98, but since I don't have Windows 98 anymore I can't check on that.
    i don't think that's possible but i will try anyway thx for he answer man

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ricky01 -
    is is not posible to go safe mode. ty for the answer
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Matt26LFC

What are you wanting to back up? your entire system? or just a few files, pictures and what not

Oh you wanna backup stuff from the ASPEL sae program? what are you using this program for?
    The files are inside this program SAE, they are not common files. the software
    its like an inventory for clients, bills, taxes, sells etc..

also im a dumb ppl with ms dos mode he that's why i"m asking for the help ty for the answer
    ----------------------------------------------

Animatrix,

ty for your answer man, you gave me some homework to do lol,

i will follow the instructions and see what i can do ty.

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I know lots of links, one of my weaknesses lol.

But just start with scanreg /restore and see if it help, we can always go back to some of the other stuff.

11. speedaddict2008

speedaddict2008 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce 9500GT 512MB
    Hey,but why do you bother with such an old pc?
    I have a similar one,but it has 80mb RAM and I doubt the CPU is mmx.
    BTW i see you got an awesome computer which is approximately 4000-6000 times better than the old junk,so why are you bothering with the oldie?