I'm losing my f*cking mind.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cobryis, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobryis

Cobryis Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    Here is a little story: :bang:

I wanted a new video card so I could play Crysis on High(not very high), I had 2 8600 GTS in SLI, that got me medium settings. So I got a 9800 GTX+. But before I got it, my motherboard fried. So I got a new motherboard(780i AM2+). I thought that would go nice with my video card.

So I get the motherboard and video card. I install the motherboard, but not the video card. It seemed that I didn't have to 6-pin connectors, so I used my old video cards. I played crysis, no improvement, and over the day it seemed to get worse. Now that i think of it, i was noticing that it wasn't as good as on the old mobo. Anyway, i figured out I had 6-pin connectors and barely put my new video card in the second of 3 pcie slots. I barely noticed any performance gain when playing crysis.

So then i decide to put my video card in the first slot, instead of the second, because the second was pciex8 2.0. I thought that would surely fix this ****. Well, it didn't. Next I use driver sweeper and clean everything and redo all drivers.

BTW, at some point I installed RivaTuner to mess with the fan if necessary. Some days when I would log in, i would discover my fan on direct control instead of auto. This is incredibly problematic. I uninstalled and cleaned drivers and ****, but when i logged onto play one day, i noticed graphical anomalies that occur from overheating. I immediately downloaded RivaTuner and turned the fan on auto. Now, sometimes when I log on I have to do this, other times it boots at auto.

With all drivers redone, I saw no performance increase. I then started looking at the bios and saw that my 2 gigs of dd42 800 were at 533. I turned on a option called AM2 Boost in the bios. I logged on and saw my cpu was overclocking nicely. I rebooted to check bios and saw that my ddr2 was at 800. I played crysis, and saw no real big performance increase. Remember, this is on MEDIUM graphic. So I had already posted here about my card and someone suggested bottlenecking. This was suggested by many different sources. My CPU is an AMD2 64x2 5000 series. I guess I would expect it to bottleneck my card a little bit, but my card is performing at half.

Anyway, I decided to get more RAM instead of an expensive CPU. I noticed when playing games, my RAM was very low, so thought this may be a minute factor. My new ram comes and i had a lot of trouble getting it at ddr2 800. I still saw no performance increase in crysis. Anyway, I get CPU-Z to check CPU and RAM clocks. I notice that when I boot up, my RAM clocks are sometimes 5-5-5-15 or 5-4-4-10. (BTW, I still have the issue with GPU fan and rivatuner).

Here comes the weird part, I just recently started noticing that when my clocks are up (5-4-4-10), my FAN IS ON DIRECT CONTROL IN RIVA TUNER. And when i boot up and my ram is at 5-5-5-15, my fan is on auto. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT WORK? WHAT correlation exists that when my ram is fast, my driver doesn't start my fan on auto; and that when my ram is a bit slow and stable, my driver starts the fan on auto!?

This is ****ing wierd. I CAN"T PLAY BIG MAPS IN CRYSIS ON EVEN ****ING MEDIUM SETTINGS! I can't play small maps on high. There is no AA in any of these. I can't even dream of being able to use AA. But back to the RAM clocks apparently affecting my GPU fan!? I can't stand this. I shouldn't ever get below 150 fps on cod4, especially with aa only on x2! and yet it happens.

Last resort, reinstall windows, for the millionth time of done on this rig.

tHIS IS on LOW settings

[​IMG]

35 if i'm standing dead still. The fps barely changes from medium to low for me. Don't bother me about my resolution, its 1440x900. I know the higher resolution has an effect, but not this big, same iwht bottlenecking.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you have AMD Ahtlon 64 CPU ( single core ) . Then this fps is normal. And about the fps in cod4 not dropping below 150fps ... not true. In guru3d charts with much much much faster system with 9800GTX+ they got 67 fps on average .

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    You CPU is probably bottlenecking the video card. What processor model is that?

4. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Is this pre-built or did you build it yourself?
    I would take everything apart, put everything back, don't OC, and reinstall to XP Service Pack 2.

5. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    What psu do you have ?

Hi,

What psu do you have ?
    You have got a problem you should being seeing a lot more performance.
    You should also do a fresh install of windows and a reformat.
    Drivers could also be a cause for instability, have you tried different drivers ?

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's not a CPU bottleneck. I play Crysis on High settings just fine (physics at medium), and get more FPS than he's getting on low settings. There has to be something else at fault here.

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, however, we know that you have a dual core. We don't know if he has one or he's still at a single core.

Be sure to have at least a dual core AMD to expect anything higher.

Also, make sure that you have a decent PSU.

deltatux

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    His PSU is fine for single 9800GTX+. Got all power connectors connected? Check that you have 1 or 2 power cables (not sure how many it has) connected to card (it should give you annoying *beep* if you don't have those power cables connected, when you turn the PC on).

Did you reinstall windows after you changed motherboard ? If not, it's most likely the problem. Uninstalling old drivers + installing new drivers is not the same thing.

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Cpu is holding your rig back, and your sytem is about right for what you descirbe i can't explain the ram issues your having tho that is quite strange.

i mean my old setup 2900xt overclocked crosssfire with q6600 at 3.2ghz ran crysis only on low to medium at around the fps your achieving although it should of been better optimized by now cos that was 2 years or so ago.

10. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    For reference:

My old Athlon 64 X2 4200+/ GTX9800+ only benchmarked at 38fps on medium, and 28fps on high @ 1920 X 1080.

11. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    ^^ in other words its normal and you wont see much of an improvment if you went sli with ure current cpu any athlon will hold back a sli rig

12. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    When you change motherboard, it is very recommended to do a fresh formate of OS drive and reinstall Windows.

If the CPU is indeed a single core then the performance is as expected.

The ram issues, and the juggling with Rivatuner sounds like driver conflicts, probably caused by the motherboard not running on a fresh formate.

Before buying a new CPU formate comp and reinstall everything again.

1) Formate
    2) Install Win and SP1 if vista and SP2-3 if XP
    3) Make sure internet connection jagged out to prevent auto updates
    4) Install Nforce drivers
    5) Sound drivers
    6) Graphics drivers
    7) Auto update via windows update
    8) Install 3dmark06 and Vantage, and bench it. If it is single core or dual core that will be represented in the benches.

Report your results. If you have a single core cpu, you have to get a new one, there are decent ones at low cost around, and you could even get an Phenom II X3 720 - will be well worth the investment. Sure others more into AMD cpus could give some more indepth advice on the CPU.

13. Cobryis

Cobryis Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    A) MY CPU IS DUAL CORE! I KNOW IT WILL HOLD MY GPU BACK, BUT NOT THIS MUCH!
    B) Half of you didn't read my entire story..
    C) The most reasonable explanation so far is that I should have reinstalled windows. Well, I uninstalled all drivers while in safe mode and reinstalled.. Once again, reinstalling windows is a last resort.
    D) Doesn't anybody care that when my RAM clocks are different, my fan GPU is different. Two almost completely unrelated things. One is a driver error, and another is just a normal RAM attribute. (Thank You Sneakers for answering that one)
    E) This computer is self built.
    F) I am on a wireless connection.
    G) Uncle Dude's resolution is much higher than mine, and remember, my fps isn't changing at all(well a little) when I switch graphical settings.

Sorry if I didn't get to everyone, I tried to put answers together.

EDIT: H) My PSU is 600w, everything is connected. I've built 3(4 including changing mobo) computers, I know how to connect matching cords. The reason I orignally couldn't find the 2 6 pin connectors is because when I had first built the PC, I had hidden them so that the inside looked and was more organized(my 8600 GTS only needed 4 Pin).

14. Cobryis

Cobryis Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    He is right. I got better FPS on 2, even 1 8600 GTS.

15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My answer is still CPU bottleneck.

Also, reinstall Windows then. I do a refresh every few months to ensure the fastest performance I can juice out of my hardware. Heck, when I designed the system, I made it so that when I reinstall Windows, all I have to do is to reinstall my operating system and games. Which it usually takes only 4 hours to quickly set everything back up (games and everything). I got all my data in an another hard drive.

deltatux

16. Cobryis

Cobryis Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    Once again, CPU will bottleneck, but not at this level. Its a dual core 2.8ghz high cache(don't remember specifics). I will reinstall windows I guess, but will wait to see if anything comes up.

17. Cobryis

Cobryis Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    I will add a new symptom, when my RAM is at 5-5-5-10, my CPU overclocks, when at 5-4-4-10, my CPU doesn't. It could be the other way around and the CPU is causing the RAM and the GPU(still don't see a relation for a fan driver though). But this is hilarious. When I start up windows, I just have to check Rivatuner to see if the fan is on Auto or Direct and I automatically know my CPU speed and RAM clocks Big Grin (but I still check CPU-ID to confirm). To bad I get the ****tiest performance around.

18. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

did you check the last place you had it?

19. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Crysis ran okay with medium settings here on a s939 x2 @2.7 GHz with xpsp2 and 2GB ddr 400 ram and 8800GTS 512 @ 1024x768.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  20. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    OMG I agree with the troll!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.