Im happy with my A10 6800K!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Damage_Plan, May 4, 2014.

1. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I bought first, and asked questions later, and am still having a ton of questions (its never a good idea to buy something withought learning about it first) but i had to do it this time, because i was in a hurry to get my PC working again (i suffered a catastrophic water leak, and mobo and CPU failure while i was out that day it happened.... very sad day.

i ended up doing very quick research, mainly just quick comparison, and mostly checking my choices for compatibility.... but i did it so quick that i still have questions about my new build.

so far I really like it, the A10 APU is fast. (i probably wont ever use my on-chip Radeon 8670D) but its nice to know i have a super discrete backup gpu!
    i had problems yesterday with the Catalyst drivers included from Gigabyte but thats fixed now.

the Ram is really sexy and so is my MOBO.... i ended up getting a GIGABYTE F2A88X UP4 mobo and Gskill Sniper 2133 Ram to compliment my new A10 "Warthog" 6800K (yes i gave it a NN) lol

The ram will have to be checked using super Pi or ram speed stability checker of the sort. but its claiming that it is indeed running at 2133 after setting XMP up in the bios.

My mobo is an F2A88X UP4 from gigabyte (first time ever owning a gigabyte mobo and Gskill ram.)

the build quality is supreme and really sexy with shiny chrome red nb and sb heatsyncs! feels like it could take a beating! though i wouldnt want to break it lol

Im left with these questions tho.

is the F2A88X a motherboard that will make the most of my A10 6800K?

is there a better option for this APU?

Is there anyone else that can tell me about this mobo and APU from experience?

Whats a good Memory test program to check the 2133 speeds?

is my GTX 660 Ti being bottlenecked by my APU, or visa versa?

any recommendations on what upgrades i should get to replace my stuff in the near future? like is there a better APU for this board?

i know there are newer APUs but is this the best APU on the market right now?

lastly, i saw some of you say that the A10 6800K can get up to 5.1GHz on air... what can do you guys think i could push it to on my new Corsair Hydro H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ?

2. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I would rather ask my guru3d peeps here because you guys allways have some colorfull and interesting answers... and you guys are more knowledgeable.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Honestly mate, if you already had a GPU you shouldn't have bought an APU at all. That 660ti you're using destroys your on-board. You'd have been far better off grabbing an 8320 or something. No idea why you didn't ask here first.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what cpu did you have prior?

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well I'm not sure, is it that much worse? His APU features Steamroller cores and the 8320 is Piledriver cores. SR provides better IPC, although I know that the APU has less cores and would clearly not be as good at multi-threading. So I wonder how the two compete against one another with one featuring more slower cores, vs the Steamroller with less but faster cores?? Does anyone have some benches illustrating an 8350 vs a quad-core SR?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Come on man, why didn't you go with the 4470 you were asking about before? You just downgraded yourself.....

I don't get why people do this. At least replace with what you had before?

7. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    It all boiled down to saving money... The core i5 I was planning to get with the mobo was 340$ leaving me no room to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. And I need one of those cus I live in the AZ High desert ( gets about 116 degrees F in the summer here) so I had to get cheaper components.... Trust me I'd much rather have the i5 over the A10 I have now.

But I'm happy with it even if it was the cheapest option because its running very good as is right now

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well, as we all know, it all comes down to the budget in the end. Glad it's working for you. It's not a bad CPU in any way, but in the future, try to replace things that break with equal or better items. You could have easily gotten another 6300, board, and aftermarket cooler for $300.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not everyone has money laying around for emergency upgrades. He actually came out pretty good compared to what I'd end up with in his position.... I'd be stuck with an A4 4000.....

A10 6800K is a Richland APU. Richland is based on Piledriver. Kaveri is based on Steamroller. A10 7700K and A10 7850K are the Kaveri models and to answer one of the OP's questions...... Kaveri APUs are the "best APUs on the market"

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    The higher the res you play at, the less CPU power becomes relevant really.

11. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ahh my mistake, I thought that model featured Steamroller cores. OP really should have picked up a Kaveri, if going that route...

12. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    i think i might just keep this rig and leave it the way it is... and then when i get another 650$, i will just build a secondary rig with a z77 sabertooth, a core i5 and some super fast ram... i still am very much in love with the I5 chips since the first gen... i need another complete refresh really

I will actually take time too, and search out the best configs everyone is using.

back on topic:

my a10 6800 is working well.... but i noticed that it still gets very hot during games even tho i have a h75 cooler on it.... what could be the issue? (fan speeds are all the way up too)

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    core i5 i7 second gen on are apu`s they just arent marketed as such. the cpus are great but the igp sucks. opposite strengths for the amd apu, cpu`s kinda weak but a much better igp

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Exactly. AMD's CPU bit is "good enough" for pretty much everything, but the IGP utterly annihilates Intel's. You can actually game on AMD's IGPs, especially the newer ones.

15. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Piledrivers just run pretty hot in my experience. I have a Scythe Yaysa on mine and during workouts it will get into the upper 60's fairly frequently. I know ambient temperature is a bit of issue in my place, but these things just get a bit toasty side.

I was considering lapping mine and reapplying the cooler, but I haven't had the motivation just yet lol.

Last edited: May 8, 2014

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The A10 7850K is AMD's best APU. The i7 4770K is currently Intel's best APU.

If you're buying with the intention of using the iGPU, you're better off with AMD.

If you're buying with the intent of using a dedicated card and disabling the iGPU, you're better off with Intel.

Best way to deal with the temperature.... Don't monitor it. lol

17. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    most montioring software doesn't monitor the right sensor on piledrivers according to the AMD engineers, software monitors can be as far as 10-25c out as they monitor the air arround the socket rather than the cpu sensor itself only sensor i believe is close is cpuid hardware monitor which show the correct temp under TMPIN2

these cpu's do run hot and airflow in the case is essential for them, i have to add 2 more 92mm fans and 1 120mm top exhaust to keep my 6300 under control and have managed upto yet an overclock to 4.3Ghz with just 1.368v, surprisingly it runs at only 1.308v for 4.1Ghz and max temp for the 4.3 oc is 64c also a good tip is lowering the VDDA voltage to 2.25v as it can and in my case has reduced min and max temps by 4-5c

if you have desktop mobo software running that reports the low VDDA just ignore it

im loving my 6300 :) really bought me out of the dark ages of the core2quad q6600 lol i can actually run assassins creed with normal physx @ 35-50fps and gta 4 nearly all very high including traffic i get 50fps with no drops :)

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ignorance is bliss XD

19. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB

yeah... im starting to miss my fx6300 really bad now....

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You came from a 6300? did it get busted? rma? you would be better off with that cpu and oc it.