IGN: Why Do People 'Hate' EA? - Seriously? What is that all about? We asked EA.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Final8ty, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yes, because EA only make games for PC...

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I don't think anyone is saying they are exclusive to EA titles, just that EA's post-release support for a lot of their PC titles go without updates or fixes.

3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Total Bull and What Da ****..are you an EA employee from the Marketing department? EA sleeper agent seeping viral, incorrect news to confuse the masses?

I installed both the games:
    Worlds of Ultima - Martian Dreams
    Worlds of Ultima - The Savage Empire

And both of the run on DosBOX without requiring an Origin login (nor DRM from EA\origins)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think they are quite schizophrenic with it tbh.
    Either that or it depends more on the developer not the publisher, as some games like Dead Space or Alice Madness seem to get very little in the way of patches, not that I felt they were any huge issues with those games, while BF3 seems to get what feels like a monthly 2gb patch.

As for console games, I have no idea as there are no EA games that I want that are console only, and the only publisher I have had an issue with on consoles has been THQ.

Not sure what Icanium is on about, either being dense or just lying due some issue with GOG, feel sorry for the guys who have to deal with customer service emails like this, though I suppose it might make them laugh.

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Indeed. I can verify this. GoG doesn't force you to use any DRM to play their games.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Budgeting I suppose, they don't view Dead Space as a highly profitable game unlike BF3.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    While updates can be up to the developer, the final call still comes down to the publisher. As the ones supplying funding for the project, it's their call on if a game gets continued funding for future support and updates.

And with EA owning the majority of the studios it publishes games for... (like Visceral Games, Danger Close, DICE, BioWare.....) it's not surprising that they pick and choose who gets the funding for future support.

DICE gets it for BF3 because they are still releasing DLC for that title, DLC they can milk profits off of... so, continue support.
    Dead Space... no DLC. So, EA's "interest" in supporting the title after release is thrown out the window.

It's reasons like this that id Software didn't want to have EA publish RAGE, or why People Can Fly were very unhappy with how BulletStorm was handled after release.

8. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Well, how do you expect me to know the EULA is disinformation and not needed.

Source EA EULA
    B. Access to Software, Online Features And/Or Services. An EA/Origin Account, including the acceptance of EA’s online Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (available at www.ea.com), the installation of Origin client application (www.origin/about.com) (or superceding download management software) as well as acceptance of the Origin (or superceding download management software) End User License Agreement, may be required to access the Software, online services and/or features and to download and apply Software updates and patches (if any). Only licensed software can be used to access online services and/or features (if any), including downloadable content, and access to such features is limited to you and your immediately family or members of your household.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Which part of may be required do you not understand?
    As in 'might be' and not 'is'.

10. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    I understand that "might be required" is not the same as "not required."

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You quote the EA eEULA and act surprised because it states you may need to use a bit of EA software to run an EA title...
    Also, even on gog.com... you do know that the majority of those EULAs are simply copied from other releases. A lot of the time they are no rewritten to take into account if required software has been changed.

I recall people complaining because they bought Alan Wake on gog because it mentioned STEAM somewhere. But, the gog version of Alan Wake runs without STEAM...

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    And "might be required" is not the same as "required" either.
    Also, breaking news, the sky's not falling.

13. Cromat

Cromat Active Member

GPU:
    SLI MSI 560GTX TI TFII OC
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Doesn't have to be a bad thing or so but this seems to be a good place for it.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-game-to-be-developed-as-a-single-player-game
    Of course it's probably pretty clear already since all of the titles currently in the works have some sort of online capabilities added to them from Dead Space to Mass Effect and traditional MP games like say Battlefield or Medal of Honor.

15. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    I am sure Battlefield 4 will be F2P and pay to win :puke2:

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Seeing the success of TF2, they may actually do that.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    After what they did to MOH a few years back ea is dead to me.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Very true, MOH 2010 is in my top 3 worst games of the last 5 years.

I'm a graphics whore though, and EA bring out lots of games with nice graphics as well as sports games on the PC, so i have no choice but to like them.

19. Ilya

Ilya Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI @ 1200/7000
    they destroyed Ultima Online.......nuff said

20. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    They have said that C&C Generals 2 is only the first of their many future F2P releases. And TF2 was made by Valve.. I haven't played much of BF Heros but EA isn't exactly a favorite on the internets when it comes to F2P games.