IGN: Why Do People 'Hate' EA? - Seriously? What is that all about? We asked EA.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Final8ty, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    His video kind of reminded me of 2 things:

- Hating EA (but not their games) for their business practices
    - Hating Activision for ruining the FPS franchise in general with whatever CoD came after MW1 (now every shooters wants to be CoD ffs)

2. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
  3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    To my horror I discovered that the DRM free game i purchased required an EA/Origin account. (Reqiurement, acceptance of EULA)
    My response to GOG support,

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I looked that game up on wiki, released in 1990 and requires Origin?! Dafuq? :bang: It's no better than bundling Half Life 1 with steam but still .. annoying!

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Source GOG
    GOG advertises their games as 100% DRM Free. So not the same as Half Life and Steam. The issue is not that the game requires EA/Origin, but that all GOG games are 100% DRM Free

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You know, I wish I could have a popular internet site post supportive articles to defend me when people said bad things about me.

Idiots.

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    My fellow guru, you are confusing bad with the truth. Sometimes the truth is really bad.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm not confused. ;)
    The majority of the times the truth is bad. Even more so when talking about EA though....

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Those sites will holla for a dolla! :banana:

10. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Okay, then I was confused. What popular site were you referring too that was posting supporting articles when bad things were said?

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think he's referring to the article by IGN in the OP :p

12. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
  13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Can't say I love or hate EA. They're just another company to me. Not much they've done really appeals to me game-wise.

My only complaint with them is that they quit making Madden on PC. And even 2006 through 2008 versions of Madden that they did put on PC were ps2 versions with the insanely dated engine vs. the ps3/360. So they complain no one was buying it when they were putting out half-assed insanely dated versions.

I wish they'd release it again on PC, but with the current-gen engine.

Smart business for sony/ms though as the single reason I bothered buying a ps3 was for Madden. Sure I've come to love other titles on PS3 but was PC-only until Madden was taken away from the PC market.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Do people not read gaming reviews anymore?

I don't buy a single game without reading a review and seeing what to expect. Since the days of gamepro magazine started, hasn't let me down yet. Atleased it gives me a heads up on what to expect, some are bias but alot give it too you hands down if you know where to read.

I just see alot of people saying they aren't buying from this company and that company anymore, but in another thread they post "I just got BF3 or MW3, etc and I'm pissed it sucks, bla bla"

Guys get over it already. No different than listening to microsoft hate threads yet everyone has a preview of W8 running on there PCs.

Sheesh!

16. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    It's not just reviews anymore. Now with the explosion of sites like youtube, you can easily find a good overview of almost any games' gameplay.

17. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    I find watching a play though on youtube a much better way to judge a game these days than reading a review on any of the gaming sites.

18. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    One thing everyone seems to have missed.

Quality control, something that is non existent at EA.

Bugs, glitches, the need for patches, missing content - game after game after game...

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Bugs and glitches affect every game on the PC, there isn't a developer/publisher around that doesn't suffer from this, no idea how anyone can say this is an EA exclusive issue.

I used to hate EA, looking back sure i'm not even sure why exactly, think it is the same reason i used to hate Apple in that it was the done thing to do if you owned a PC, and not because of any factual reason.

Nowadays i have no issue with them, have yet to have a bad experience with them so have no reason to hate them, and no other publisher can match the variety of games they bring out.
    They are also pushing more high end tech into PC games than any other publisher out there, which is something that appeals to the techie, graphic whore side of me.

Activision/Blizzard on the other hand is a different story, can't stand them.
    Little variety in their IP's, everything revolves around MP or being online, dated tech and inflated prices that takes years to go down.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Either that's quite some FUD you have there, or you're just misunderstanding something.

It only requires you to accept EA/Origin's EULA (a PDF file you can choose to read or not) upon installing.
    It doesn't have DRM whatsoever and does not require an EA/Origin account, much less installing Origin.

Seriously, how do you put DRM on DOSBox?

Nope, the game doesn't have any DRM.
    I just installed it.