If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kalel

kalel Member

GPU:
    Mobility HD 4670
    Yes of course. I would not leave the notebook community out, so I have included mobility support in final release. Glad to help.

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    No need for the sarcastic mobility undertones unless your of a schizophrenic descent instead by replying to your own posts. In which case I apologize...

You never tried out the mobility modder by any chance... ?

I've got better things to do with time than keeping all of the people happy all of the time or being a slave/servant to implement all and every feature. It's an impossible job. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Don't be such an ungrateful prick.
    Take your "witty" sarcastic remarks to AMD who decided to reduce support to legacy cards, not to the ones who voluntarily try to help legacy users.

4. kalel

kalel Member

GPU:
    Mobility HD 4670
    Just wanted some response, guess it worked :) Had no luck with mobility modder. Thanks anyway, have a nice day.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

5. Ruslu

Ruslu Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    Do I have to seperately install Application Profiles or are they already included in the installation?

6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Included already, but must choose Custom install > tick application profiles.

7. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Yeah, I saw your post in the other thread and now I'm slightly pissed with AMD. It's sad because the HD 4000 cards are still reliable and capable. Who can say I'm wrong? The max optimization argument (legacy cards have reached their top performance...) is getting old. Notice how nobody was saying it before AMD did. Also, I noticed some fps gain with a modded driver. I'm done with this. Don't take my post wrong. My feelings/ideas are here.

8. Ruslu

Ruslu Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    Ok, then I must have missed that, because I currently don't get Application Profiles under CCC.

9. Thaddy

Thaddy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2
    Back to the drawing board ...

Many thanks for your reply and update Kev.

I'm downloading the T4 drivers and ATIman and I'll give it another go.

I'll fill you in with my findings.

All the best!
    -Thad

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Release 11 - Final Legacy Hybrid - Stable and complete release. And my final effort to have something more satisfying for legacy cards.

- Lot's of fixes this time for BSOD crashes/compatibility/performance/crossfire issues/game profile issues and general stability.
    - User profiles are now restored (they had no effect on kernal components below 11.12 in the last releases which is why an older CCC was used), because I found a different way around the F1 2012 performance drops and the crossfire flickering in menus, and why it is happening with this and newer games in crossfire. And why things are busted in the drivers/people's mix and match driver and too high a cap installations in general. I figured out what's happening with all that stuff.
    - AMD Video converter/XCODEC installation fixed and updated to 12.4, anything post 11.12 wouldn't work or install in CCC previously. Now it does and XCODE 12.4 installs and works as intended. :) (Tested from CLEAN WIN7 OS REFRESH)
    (To test where they are installed to, see C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\ ) :)
    - F1 2012, BFBC2 and crossfire performance retained.

The main problems from extensive testing with using higher caps on older drivers are graphic anomalies and glitches and performance degradation, because the driver doesn't have the necessary feature level support to assist the later CAP being installed. For this reason 12.4 CAP 2 is used in the hybrid with the main driver files being at a 12.4b level and the CFX and kernal @ 11.12, this is WHQL from May 2012, not April 2012 beta which 12.6 & 13.1 are based upon.

Minimal problems with games and applications this way on legacy. All potential game profile issues and missing unworkable profile issues are now fixed. Example : even if the CFX components are 11.12 games still work correctly as long as the xfire bugs are fixed, which it is so, eg. SKYRIM (TESV) 60fps still despite the lower 11.12 less buggy cfx components. It's really the driver files themselves that matter the most to performance and not the cfx components as you would expect.

There is just no point me messing around or introducing non legacy files, it's like playing russian roulette.

I found that (tested on several cards) post 11.12 kernal component's are very buggy and crashprone on legacy esp with 3dMark 2013 and also several random TDR 0x117's driver stopped responding and recovered (0x116 will cause BSOD's) in the event log several times a week. Was really hard to track down the root cause of the 3dMark 2013 crossfire crashes and random TDR 117's in the event logs, but I can reproduce it every time simply by changing the driver and hence changing the buggy kernal components for the stable kernal components or even trying different cards. Injected the 11.12's kernel components for legacy instead, 3dmark crash solved and more generally stable instead as opposed to anything 11.12+

I cannot offer the same fixes for 13.1R as 11.12 has no matching .cat or .inf file for Windows 8.

All post 11.12 crossfire components have FF/IE gpu a/c rendering bugs in crossfire, and have significant fps performance drops in games in crossfire and WEI score degradation. Fixed.

OpenGL at .11672 and OpenCL at 937.2 with CAL @ .1734 for maximum legacy compatibility of 13.1 and photoshop, re-tested rage - works fine.

Audio tab included in this release.

Files and modifications kept to a minimum in order to fix only outstanding bugs gained from researching. Un-tampered legacy files included only.

ATT support included. GL profile updates.

Vista/Win7 x64 OS

http://www.mediafire.com/?w9j5q5103caj1w1

There will now be no more updates....this is the final one I'm happy with. Hybridized to the maximum with good stability and performance.
    This driver set now works fine for me in the way that I wanted after 6 months of slaving away and testing solving the problems and the mess left behind of the 12.x series and legacy.

This driver is intended for those who just want something to pick up and use on legacy as a complete solution without having to mess with the problems having all the best parts and the fixes along the way.

If something is broken, missing, or doesn't work, then fix it yourself, my work is now done. It works 100% fine on my pooter from a clean OS install...I don't see why it would work any different on yours.

Elvis has now left the building and tidied all the mess up before he left. :)

Thankyou all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

11. mkflawless

mkflawless Member

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Everything working perfectly, from gaming to browsing.

You're the best Kev! :megaman:

12. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Member

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Thanks KEV!!!!!!! I wish AMD would put this much time and effort into there drivers from the get go so their community isnt stuck dealing with the lazy crap they release.

13. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Hi Kev,

Downloaded and put it on..........only one thing to say.....GREAT !!! :banana:

Avivo/media x code.....fantastic !! :thumbup:

Feedback ??........this time you don't need it.......you already know !!! :grad:

Now I think AMD haves to give you a trophy......or a job (better the whole company) so this can be Legacy and original........because I think there they are guys doing things without testing (see Xcodec and all the rest of the bugs)......thinking better, HaHaHa, a guy we know must be comming from there !!!!!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You shouldn't encounter any problems if the package is used as is...including the CAPS.

I fixed what I can over 6 months, if something didn't work, I not only wanted to know why it didn't work, but also what could I do to fix it. I wanted to learn how everything works together with everything else and why. I really wanted to get my hands dirty with the drivers, push the limits of my understanding, and really see the wiring under the board. And I had a passion for kicking out bugs as I found them and read about them on forums concerning legacy cards (not just this one but searching thru the rage3d archives dating back to 2008 amongst others)

And if I couldn't fix a problem, then I found a way to work around it. The last non working XCODE is now resurrected from the dead, reason = .dll's were not registering properly, so their solution was to kill it for a Windows 7 install post 11.12 and not Vista. I fixed both cases and 12.4 AMD media converter works again, which was never the case. I just keep going and attack the problem until it's solved. It's the little silly mistakes in things like this in the real drivers that annoy me enough to fix them.

You now have the results of hundreds of hours of reboot's, testing and problem solving and game playing. Smooth, feature complete, and stable in the best hybrid combination I found to increase stability, performance and minimise bugs on legacy before the driver build quality in the 12.x series became poor as they rushed to implement the 7000 series.

The driver you all should have been left behind with is now mine, and yours... :)

Cheers, K.

15. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    thanks for your hard work i/we really appreciate it!!!

but i found a nasty bug
    i tried playing this video at original quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6eaVeYXOs
    (idk if there is a problem with all 4k vids or this specific one, i dont want anymore crashes...)
    and the 1st time driver crashed and the next 2 times i got bsod!
    i am on win7_sp1_x64 (with the new platform update that came out yesterday or something if that matters)
    and i am using your latest driver (i uninstalled manually and then used atiman before installing when atiman finished) with firefox 19 and latest flash player (that got released also these last couple days).
    can u reproduce it? how can i help you? (where can i find the crash log or something?)

and also this one i just found out! http://postimage.org/image/dg1g07n69/
    its the first time i ever see something like this, as you can see the letters (they are greek, but also english words in there are like this) are fine in the start but after that they are like emmmm this! (and i have used lots of your previous drivers)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Thankyou i'll look into the video playback (can reproduce this bug)

webpage text, don't know...

17. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    about the webpage text issue...
    it doesnt happen on all sites (random sites maybe? or sites that use something specific that my pc doesnt like), but for sure it started immediately after i installed your latest driver (with your previous one everything was fine). if it isnt on major sites i can live with, and till now its not!

http://www.tsekouratoi.gr/2013/02/blog-post_8069.html
    try going at this page and scroll up and down (like 1-2 fingers each time) while keeping the text on the upper part of the screen/firefox_window.

also thank your for looking into the 4k bug :D

18. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The webpage text bug :

Cannot reproduce any corruption with Waterfox 18.01 x64.

Ultra HD youtube video bug :

Managed to establish it doesn't occur with 8.56 Windows 7 system default drivers (no green screen either or crash, but then it is using software decoding in that case) so I will work forwards from there (long and slow testing to find the point at which the bug manifests). May take a few days to diagnose at what point in Direct3d/video component versions it occurs, but if it can be fixed I'll fix it while keeping the highest working components. :)

I'm busy currently, so it really will be a few days for this one. Nasty BSOD 0x116 bug indeed, your not safe either using the "official drivers"

::Edit::

This is also happening from a default official Catalyst 11.9 standard install (without going back too far yet) without any modifications to the drivers, so it's clear to me that this "bug" has been in there for a very long time indeed, even in the official drivers. Not sure what I can do about it yet without sacrificing too much like user profiles etc.

::Edit 2::

Can reproduce the crash even as far back down to Catalyst 10.4 default install. So it looks like hardware decoding is busted badly in all the drivers official or modded on this video. Looks like a stone age old bug, and not something I could have "introduced" by modding. :(

Or it could just be a case of new flash versions choking on old drivers in certain cases like this example. I'll keep investigating over the next days....

Clearly in whatever case the radeon drivers of all flavours old and new are choking on 4K Ultra HD streams 3840 pixels × 2160 pixels, and even if they can't do it, they should instead fallback gracefully instead of trying to play them and crash.

::Edit 3 final analysis::

Crash also happens with default 13.1 driver and drivers down to 9.11

YouTube allows a maximum upload resolution of 4096 × 3072 (12.6 megapixels, aspect ratio 4:3).[4][5] However, YouTube's web-based video player is limited to a maximum of only 2048 × 1536 (3.1 megapixels).[6] 4K videos on YouTube can still be downloaded in their original resolution using a YouTube downloader.

All drivers are crashing due to the large viideo size viewports+hardware video decoding (1080p resolution is fine, but ultraHD is a big no no). I've tried multiple components multiple times without success, they all just crash.

Now I can implement a workaround for this by forcing hardware video decoding off regardless of whether you turn it on or off yourself with the untick hardware acceleration in flash, while leaving accelerated video rendering on, but UltraHD video is broken in each and every driver official or not where hardware accelerated video decoding works correctly on legacy from 9.11-13.1 drivers including mine.

So what do you think I should do about their bug ?

Kill the hardware decoding and force the cpu to decode UltraHD or let the bug stand... ?

::Edit 4::

Flash 10.3 (The one with the current security updates from Feb 2013 is the answer, athough it works around ultraHD by decoding in software mode instead)

So at this time, I cannot confirm if it's a flash bug or a driver bug with large viewports. In any case it affects ALL drivers.

See :

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4744183

::Edit 5::

Catalyst 13.1 legacy bug report concerning You-Tube Ultra-HD streams sent. :bang:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  19. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    sup, i've been real lazy, still havent tried any of your packages, only looked at the dates of the dlls (that's what's holding me back, currently on 12.6l system with other dlls on a game by game basis)

but i approve of this thread :nerd:

uh the ultrahd thing, leave the bug in or let users do the hw accel change themselves, nobody outside legacy crashes?

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You should at least then try the 13.1R, the DX10, OpenCL and OpenGL is newer than any official 12.6 or 13.1 and your 4870x2 clocks would be fixed as an added bonus.

Well, thy coveted crimson skies is now working on moi 4870x2, see my post in the knowledge about drivers thread... :)

Just finished testing and getting a 13 year old game to work for you... :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4540852&postcount=21

Driver fixes at least some annoying bugs for us poor buggers clinging on to the crusty cards anyway...latest files isn't always the best files.

Thanks for the approval.... :rock: