If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Tests pass with flying colours unlike a lot of other crash prone drivers. :)

Slightly behind me @ 82226 on test 1, but I see you have 30mhz o/c and 50mhz on the gfx ram. Performance should also be up in 3dmark06 (DX9)

Final tweaks R10 release is almost ready.

Just have to perform stress tests/performance analysis over several hours with various games and apps and the new final link will be up.

So 13.1R is for those that want the latest files, no matter how bad the performance and Windows 8 unsigned install support.

And there is of course 11.12 Hybrid (the ones I use myself) for the performance/gaming/stability under Vista/7 x64.

In either case both driver projects are now completed and should make life smoother and easier for legacy owners.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Yes it does.. I liked the IQ of this drivers that's way an functionality too... even if aren't mean to be for Windows 8 but in Compatibility mode and DDSE ON they install fine. I flashed my GPU with those clocks... glad to know you are behind me :)

3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    How are you doing the Windows 8 - Windows 7 driver compatibility install ?

Just right click setup.exe and change to Windows 7 mode or something else besides ?

This trick may work for my 13.1R unsigned Windows 8 install, so I can maybe edit the .inf file finally without having to compromise or use mods with silly Win8 new patchguard.

Actually I have some programmed stuff that can totally smoke patchguard completely out of a Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64 system forever so no more trouble installing whatever you want whenever you want.

But i'm not sharing out these OS patchguard x64 kill files. Not even if you ask nicely. :)

TWEAK 2 FINAL 11.12 Hybrid R10. That's it people...no more drivers from me in any flavours. Job done...

http://www.mediafire.com/?b4iucyj4maoatpp

I will leave the previous driver up, just in case changing the .inf now has given you any problems under the Windows 8 unsupported install. However it still works fine on Vista/7. :)

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Guide to using existing 11.12 Hybrid drivers on Windows 8 x64.

Benefit's of doing this method over using legacy 12.6/13.1/13.1 Reloaded and official system installed default drivers:

Older non buggy CCC and NET framework 3.5 components installed automatically by Windows 8 allowing the use of them.

Firefox/Waterfox gpu assisted rendering Windows 8 driver blacklist check bypass as a nice side effect. Which doesn't happen if you install the Windows 8 legacy drivers requesting Catalyst 12.8 at a minimum instead. :)

What you must do to have a successful installation...

Firstly download the driver, quite obvious really let's say for example to downloads folder...

Disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8 x64 for *one single time only* - Guide how to do that here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM1MN8QZhnk - then restart.

Now go into the driver folder you just downloaded after unpacking and locate Setup.exe and right click, and change Windows compatibility mode to Windows 7 and apply the settings.

Now click Setup. Choose custom install and tick everything including application profiles. Wait till the driver has installed everything and restart. :)

You will now want to enter desktop mode, Windows 8 x64 will detect you are trying to run a NET3.5 application automatically if you leave things alone, namely CCC, and ask you if you want to download and install these NET 3.5 files, accept this and when finished, restart again, then finally go into CCC and set all your options.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

5. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Not just what you said "right click in setup.exe >>Properties >>Compatibility tab >>tick rum this program... >>scroll down menu....>>Windows 7
    But I really don't know if it is needed.. I do it because the driver is mean to be for windows 7 and "just in case" but when the install "populated" If the driver isn't picked then you need compatibility mode.
    In this driver install with/without compatibility mode the driver is picked when "populated" the installation. but I don't know if the driver will be installed without the compatibility mode... I don't think so.
    DDSE certainly is needed here then you get the "Windows security" with the choice to install the un-signed driver or not.

Also I need to disconnect the internet other ways it keep installing the WDMM driver on top of the "default VGA driver."

I finished to install this new version not problems whatsoever I'll try some games and give you at feed back.
    Thanks

6. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    This is after a clean install of the OS and the first time you install a CCC
    you can also install NET3.5 before install first time a CCC
    Control panel >>programs and features >> turn windows feactures ON or OFF >>Pick .net framework 3.5
    [​IMG]
    you need an open internet conection

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I see. Still new to Windows 8 (don't really like it) but it will install NET3.5 anyway as soon as it detects 3.5 applications.

Still using Windows 7 x64 as my main OS, and Win8 x64 sit's on a second machine.

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    11.12HB R10 FINAL CPE tweak 3

- Hardware accelerated flash video rendering (in full screen in IE/FF, although h/w decoding was fine) was broken in prior R10 releases for me under Windows 7 x64 (bypassed/fixed).
    - I think flash is doing some crude official driver version check which won't work with a modified .inf and changed version numbers.

- No other functional changes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?14wx2mpmgbfms3p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. kalel

kalel Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD 4670
    Any mobility support yet?

10. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Legacy cards are so well made. I doubt a HD 7970 can last 4 years with 5+ hours of gaming per day, without vsync, with the fans running at max.

11. Thaddy

Thaddy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2
    Can't get CCC (VCE) to load!

Hey Kev,

So I just tried installing your latest (and last?) tweak after uninstalling and removing your very first relase because I couldn't get the CCC to load up.

So now after having uninstalled the previous set of drivers, booting into safemode, running driver sweeper to get rid of any residual files and then installing the "11.12HB R10 FINAL CPE tweak 3" it installs fine with no errors and my games and everything run but I still can't get the damn Vision Engine Control Center to open.

When I try to run it off of either the desktop context menu (right-click) or from the start menu link I get an hour glass for a few seconds but nothing pops up on the screen or in the Task Manager.

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H (790GX board), Phenom II X3 720 @ 3 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1 kW PSU, 4870X2, etc.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or want any more info,

Cheers!
    -Thad

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Strange...it's just the default 11.12 CCC with no changes.

It should be working fine without issue.

Try ATIman instead for a clean install. Driver sweeper alone is a bit hit and miss.

::Edit::

On second thoughts...

Actually since you get Vision control center and not Catalyst control center like me, it may be the changed branding .msi that is causing the issue.

Can you please replace the branding folder from original 11.12 into Apps>CCC>Branding and try installing again. If this is the cause of the problem, I'll rectify it in a later T4.

13. Ruslu

Ruslu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    Haven't followed this thread for a while, so would like to know if the latest build of your 11.12 Hybrid works normally on Windows 8?
    Currently using your 13.1 Reloaded, but as you said in that thread that 11.12 was for performance and stability.

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It can be installed in Windows 7 compatibility mode as per the guide above.

But it seems to hang on Windows 8 startup instead of crash (like the original drivers) relating to atikmpag.sys, at least here, and that's with a single 4870, not a 4870x2.

Nothing I can do about the atikmpag BSOD's and hangs under Windows 8 with the left behind legacy drivers under Windows 8 until AMD get off their butts and fix it. (I've sent off a report, not sure if they will do anything)

Due to this i've gone back to Windows 7 x64, where there is no hang on cold starts caused by atikmpag.sys. Strangely (warm reset's are fine)

TDR Handling under Windows 8 changed over 7, but the drivers for legacy are still using 7 based files, just with a tacked on Windows 8 .inf and a Win8 compatible CCC.

It's happening with the Windows 8 x64 installed system ones as well I found. It's also happening with every driver under Windows 8 forced in on compatibility mode untouched for legacy I test. :bang:

Same driver on Windows 7, same hardware.....no problem from cold start.

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    11.12 Hybrid R10 Final T4

- Fixed potential CCC branding install issue for those seeing Vision Control Center instead.
    - 3dMark 2013 may still have crashed in certain scenarios - fixed.
    - Further tweaks and cleanup for stability, compatibility, and performance for the very last release.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f81n80o794x3wv6

16. Ruslu

Ruslu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    I will try it out on Windows 8 tomorrow and report back.

17. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Hi kev,

Can dellons Universal INF mod. be installed here after intallating your 11.12 Hybrid R10 Final T4 ??

If there is compatibily, as well as more functions, what other improvements can it give ??
    Did you ever benchmarck with it to see the difference ??

If 3d in this driver is better than 13.1R (and for 3d I think that you have reached almost the limit for the relationship between performance and stability with this driver), but for 2d what is the situation compared to 13.1R and what else can be improved ??

EDIT:
    On one of your HYBRID (V9) I tryed to put on AVT64 of 13.1r and goes good, why don't you put it in the packege ??

Steady Video (that for amd works a little bit like nvidias cuda) can be usefull for who haves the combination GPU AMD (only for some Cards like 5xxx series and above, not sure for otheres) and CPU AMD so why did you ever use it ??

18. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    11.12 modified Hybrid package with cap package and system profiles has been benchmarked and tested across the following games and applications in crossfire without crashes, texture flickering, issues or crossfire performance drops, and bug minimalisations eg video playback. And extensive testing in OpenGL to give people the most complete trouble free driver in the best reliable combination there is for legacy with improvements and suggestions and feedback implemented along the way.

Even OpenGL is back at .672 now for the photoshoppers who like edge detect. So there are choices between 13.1R and 11.12HB. :)

All the hard test work, testing, improvements, and analysis has all been done for you, so to speak, so others don't have to fiddle...

BFBC2
    3DMark 2013, Vantage, 2006
    TESV (Skyrim)
    Sniper Elite V2
    Cities in Motion
    Polynomial
    Atom Zombie Smasher
    F1 2010-2012
    Just Cause 2
    Crysis 1, Warhead and 2
    Borderlands
    Valley benchmark
    Unigine Sancturary, Heaven and Tropics
    League of Legends
    FC2 & FC3
    COH & TOV
    Rage

And more...

And it is very hard to come across a crossfire driver that works in most cases properly without crossfire issues or performance degradations...

40 fps AVG in F1 2012 @ 1080p in high settings for example. A game that came out after legacy support ended ! Most other drivers are doing like 15-23fps in x-fire on legacy. BFBC2 is a smooth 60fps (legacy 12.4, 12.6 and 13.1 is 35fps). Skyrim (TESV) is a smooth 45-60 and not 15fps slideshow, Crossfire opengl profiles added for scorched tanks etc, you get the idea. It's all about making the best we've got with what we have available to work with.

This is all mostly concerning crossfire though, don't know about single card use, but I expect figures to be up.

The package can be used as it stands as a complete robust solution. And should have a wide enough capacity to handle everything thrown at it well (At least under Windows 7 use), or as well as you can be when your 1 year behind the curve in driver support.

Why I don't put AVT is because it isn't needed, it's not part of the original 11.12's driver if you check. They replaced AVIVO after 12.1 with AVT.

13.1R is just the latest files that work, not always the best performance files, but higher than the originals are anyway and no clock bugs in either cases.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    As you know, I know all this, but I want to ask you if you ever tried with putting on dellons inf mod and what will be the difference (better, equal, worse) with the new functions.

No, sorry but Avivo is called and replased later with AMD Media Codec Packege see this going in download section: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=568&pid=214&psn=0006&lid=1&leg=0#

AVT is another thing

Look in help of CCC for what Stedy video is needed.......I think you will agree with me.

EDIT
    It's Media Codec Packege that don't work anymore after 12.1 and below it.
    can you be able to fix it because AVIVO being a little old like codecs and formate settings ??

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well took a long time to reply to this one...but I decided to find this one out for myself out of sheer interest.

So tonight...just for fits and giggles and to lose around 60% performance in games, I popped the 8800GT back into the Windows 8 x64 box (mainly because I was sick of the green screens and atikmpag.sys coldstart crashes) and had a look at what these old cards could do on Windows 8 x64, and what improvements are in the drivers since I left them collecting dust after upgrading.

Well to my surprise not only is WDDM 1.2 with an 8800GT supported, it's actually in use, and there are no more green screens in FF or IE10, and the machine boots up fine in Win8 x64 every time from cold start. There are more OpenGL extensions (258 v 218 on 4870), and more OpenCL functions available, ambient occlusion settings, adpative VSYNC and overall much better Windows 8 support with a snappier feel to it.

Additionally some of the OpenCL tests with GPU caps viewer run much faster on a card that has 60% less performance pound for pound, and full hardware decoded video without hulk-o-vision.

So for now the 8800GT is staying in the Windows 8 x64 box since it has WDDM 1.2, rather than trying to coax incomprehensively broken beyond compare 4870 drivers on Windows 8 to work for a card that is newer than an 8800GT !

Doesn't make sense, does it...