If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fLuXuS

fLuXuS Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870X2 WC
    Hello Kev,

you are doing a wonderful job, better job than the driver coders @ ATi. Anyways..

I've updated to your last Hybrid release, because when I updated the 12.xx Final, Diablo3 profile is missing and the audio .inf too. So rollback and tried the final Hybrid.
    The main issue I've encountered with the Hybrid final is the AA its not working in Diablo3

All the other similar engines (Torchlight 1 and 2) are fine.

Best regards friend,

PS: I use the following method to clean Catalyst installation: Uninstall via Control Panel > Reboot Safe Mode > Run AMD Tool > Reboot Safe Mode > Uninstall via Device Manager and delete MS Driver > Run AMD Catalyst TwL Cleaner v3.9.2 > Check Hardware > Reboot.

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes, your right about DiabloIII profile missing in 12.6 legacy defaults. Maybe they forgot to include it after 12.4b where it is there...

However I think I worked around that problem.

The aticfx components are .1129 in the last legacy 12.6 beta driver (with the diablo3 profile missing of course)

The next Hybrid release has an even higher than legacy .1132 without problems/crashes on legacy from June 2012 including FF/IE h/w gpu accelerated rendering still fixed with a new Diablo III profile included which maybe where AA is now working as well as welll as a few more cfx profiles than .1129, so you will have to test !

I couldn't get anywhere with BF3, the installation I got was broken.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. mkflawless

mkflawless Member

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    It's ok, i'll just play BF3 with a single card then, as i get better performance with a single than a crossfire.

Thanks anyway mate.

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Hybrid 11.12 r6, last one !! - Vista/Windows 7/x64

- DiabloIII crossfire profile missing in last offical legacy 12.6/13.1 drivers restored. Please test...

- May or may not solve LoL fps problem in this release, 60fps VSYNC is good enough already tho :)

- Broken BlueRay content protection was a false alarm, and not caused with standalone Hybrid drivers but additional use of ankmod files, flash/DXVA components known working without green screens still frozen from last release and unchanged.

- Even faster GPU accelerated FF/IE9 canvas rendering in crossfire from last release.

- A few more crossfire profiles added eg. Blacklight retribution support in the drivers.

- Fixed updated WMV Media Foundation decoders ability to install on 5K series.

- Cleanup info Panel for final release.

I'm also uploading a last 12.6 Reloaded that's finished in the next days, except it will now register as 13.1 to prevent any confusion.

Using updated components of 13.1, the newer CCC, and CIM so people don't think 12.6 Reloaded is older than 13.1 when 12.6 Reloaded actually contains higher working components than the new 13.1 already. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?tw40ddnhb26m1ng

I'll keep this last driver up on mediafire for as long as I can to benefit every legacy user, but if anyone wants to mirror it (unchanged) so it doesn't dissappear (In case I forget to login to mediafire after so many days etc) they're welcome.

[​IMG]

My job is now done. Thanks to all still flying the legacy flag, and goodbye... :banana:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

5. mkflawless

mkflawless Member

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    You're the best man, thanks for everything :]

Edit : You can remove the "may or may not" in front of League of Legends. Stable FPS around 130 (reaching 160-180 in some situations), never dropping below 100. Both cards working @75-98%.

You are legend :]

Edit 2 : VERY interesting , excellent performance on bf3 with both cards on 40-45% (around 40-50fps, i even got a spike to 93!). The game is fluid, but it sometimes gets choppy. The FPS remains the same (30-40), but it's just really choppy. It occured to me that it happens when i get to face a burning building for exemple(flames+dark smokes comming out of it). My game is running on low, and i tweaked it to the maximum. But it's nothing like the previous drivers, it's day and night, and i'm telling, you, this new driver of yours did actually "change" something that actually repairs the crossfire in bf3 (from my side actually). I just have to identify if the choppiness effect comes from the smoke or the fire! i'm gonna test it more!

Edit 3 : Remember those screenshots i posted about my performance on bf3? Map was "Seine crossing". i was around 22. Now it's more like 40-45, but i still get some chopiness.

Other map, our beloved "Strike at Karkand", performance were TERRIBLE before. Now the chopiness is the only remaining problem. FPS boost from 10 to 20fps, depending of the situation (ofc, i'm alone testing on the server, just like i was during the screenshots i took a few days ago).

Apart from playing, the driver is stable, works correctly, no problem during installation. Should rename your driver "perfection" :] You nailed it! :]

6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I think...and this is just a guess...They improved BF3 crossfire performance but broke BFBC2 DX10 crossfire performance in the process also based on frostbyte engine.

For anyone who still plays BFBC2 in DX10 mode (DX9 isn't affected) they can download and unpack the official 11.12's and copy out aticfx32.dl_ and aticfx64.dl_ from the driver folder to somewhere else like downloads.

move to the folder you just extracted them from a CMD prompt with eg. cd downloads to change to the folder the packed files are...

Extract both files from 11.12 offical drivers from a CMD prompt with:

Expand aticfx32.dl_ aticfx32.dll
    Expand aticfx64.dl_ aticfx64.dll

then take aticfx32.dll and aticfx64.dll you just unpacked and drop them in the main BFBC2 game folder and you should have the DX10 performance back, without messing up your current drivers. :)

7. mkflawless

mkflawless Member

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    I remember having crossfire problems with bfbc2 back then. I might reinstall it someday just to give your driver a shot! :]

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    * Although the missing in offical 12.6 Diablo III crossfire profile has now been restored, AA support for Diablo III didn't come in the official drivers till 12.7 beta, which unfortunately don't work on legacy. :look:

AA for diablo III may or may not work in my other Driver 12.6 Reloaded though, you will have to test that concept since it's using higher components than the hybrid driver, but there are performance issues since it's based around the backwards performance of the real 12.6 with just the bugs fixed like 3D clocks etc.

I don't have Diablo III to test.

9. Keepcool

Keepcool Banned

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    Hello kev..
    Since 11.12r5 I'm unable to install your drivers in my Windows 8 compatibility Windows 7 mode, also I see in the "use AMD pre-define profile" ME3 profile is missing.
    Anyway... I did a clean install in one of my computer then I lost my "legally" windows activation :wanker: Do you remember the free WMC key to activate windows 8...?? I forgot to back it up and surprise I didn't knew Micro$oft had closed the hole so thinking to install Windows 7 in it.
    But how to add AMD ME3 profile..?? I play mostly ME3 FC3 BF3 Crisys.
    Thanks

edit: 11.12r5 has ME3 profile 11.12r6 hasn't

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Don't know the free key or Win8 compatibility install (I've left 11.12 Hybrid r1-r5 on the server to try and there is always 12.6R, and I do specifiy Windows Vista/7 x64 only because all the different files are simply untested in Windows 8)

But I will check out the profiles, I keep moving things around a lot when testing different things/games/versions.

Easy mistake to make...Just use R5 for now till I figure what's happening with ME3.

::Edit::

No changes needed. Not actually a driver problem !. Included CAP problem !. The missing ME3 problem is by using the 12.11 CAP 2 application profiles included in R6. Maybe they are messed up after 12.6 driver after all on legacy cards....

R5 driver has 12.4 CAP 2 and ME3 profile exists.
    R6 driver has 12.11 CAP 2 and ME3 profile is missing.

So uninstall cap and re-install 12.4 CAP 2 from R5 package. ME3 profile you will see is back again with no driver changes...

Obviously later they include the CAP profiles fixes in the drivers code themselves over time so specific cap profiles are redundant, but with legacy there are no more new drivers so on using higher caps, profiles go missing with no driver code to match the cap, that's what I thinks happening here anyway. So...may not be able to use higher caps on legacy cards after all without profiles going missing, ...erm oops...

Thus by the time your using things like 12.11 CAP 2 on legacy, ME3 isn't in the list because somewhere between 12.6 and 12.11 it's now been included in the driver crossfire profiles themselves and not needed anymore and therefore removed from the CAP, because it's built into the driver code, except we don't have access to these "new" drivers on legacy so all we have instead is a missing profile in the cap, but no new drivers with new inbuilt crossfire profiles/improvements in the driver to replace the cap, if that makes any sense.

This is why I said in the "new" 13.1 legacy thread, that if you don't have newer drivers for crossfire support on legacy cards you are stuffed, and optimisations for new games coming out is out the window....Single card, no need to worry, don't have negative scaling because no crossfire to worry about. :)

So, looking further at the blob system crossfire profiles file is unchanged between 12.4b<>12.6 legacy official and stands @241K, therefore the highest cap I would recommend for the official 12.6/13.1 driver, the Reloaded driver and these drivers without any profiles going missing in the list is 12.4 CAP 2 (the same as R5 contained) or something like 12.6 cap 1. Don't be fooled, legacy 12.6/13.1 isn't really from June 2012, but from a driver 8.97 beta created 18th April 2012 (12.4) month, therefore using 12.6 cap 1, some profiles may still go missing using the 12.6 legacy I believe still, but hard to confirm since it's a big list and don't have every game in the list to check for accuracy but you get the idea... :)

But you can carry on using later caps or not to see if they offer any benefit to legacy cards, up to u, some profiles just won't be there...

I just included the latest CAPS because it seemed like the right thing to do (people screaming use the latest profiles etc), until I found the why the profiles keep on disappearing on legacy part... :)

I hope that explains things properly.

So for replacements for all profiles showing in the list same as R5...

12.4 CAP 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?g6nq514vhoqeb6i

12.6 CAP 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?pllmu6bn86c9731

11. Keepcool

Keepcool Banned

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    Yes I know you were clear in this matter "Windows Vista/7 x64" ONLY
    But you know my history (Check #2 reply) if windows 7 users have misery concerning legacy support for their GPU's imagine Window 8 users
    we don't have a lot choice here but to try. ours GPU are steel able for today's needs.
    I was busy Installing 11.12r6 in my Windows 8 I'm able to do it "disabling Driver Signature Enforcement" but even if I clean up very well before installing this drivers (safe mode bla bla..) the "Engineering Sample- WDDM v1.1" keeps installing after so I don't know if TWL cleaner and Driver fusion find this driver and delete it or not. Do you know were this WDDM driver is in windows...?? DriverStore something....
    For the caps I figured something as you said then what I did is to take the caps folder from 11.12r5 driver and put it in 11.12r6 driver folder and install like this and it work fine.
    I will try to install this drivers in "test mode"... I need to prevent this "engineering sample" installing after. :bang:
    Thanks

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Don't know my way around Windows 8, but search for the atiihag.inf folders, they are the default installed drivers for the Win8 8.97 ones.

Just don't mess up your system man wiping things out and trying to force these to work on Windows 8 when I just don't know the results, when the 12.6 Reloaded should work better on Windows 8 in compatibility mode based on feedback.

13. Keepcool

Keepcool Banned

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    Well... here is it... 11.12r6 in Windows 8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Didn't need to use "test mode" only "disabling Driver Signature Enforcement"
    I was doing something wrong WDDM driver stopped to play with me
    I played couple ME3 matches nice IQ and performance
    Maybe I give a try to the "12.6 Reloaded" but I have a felling this is the "one"
    keeper for now
    Thanks.

14. fLuXuS

fLuXuS Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870X2 WC

Hi mate,

tested today and can't force AA trough CCC in Diablo3. All other games are fine!

Edit:Just found out there is no Diablo3 profile in CrossFire, it's normal?
    Edit2: Solved by installing amd_catalyst_12.4_cap2 and amd_catalyst_12.6_cap1.
    Edit3: Still no AA in game, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 24x or 32x. damn.

I just love this card.. since I bought it, never worked @100%. LoL
    But today, still is a very very capable card.

Thank you for the help you gave to all Legacy owners.

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You won't be able to force AA. Like I said AA support for Diablo III didn't come until 12.7 beta, too high to use after legacy support ended.

But I have put the crossfire profile back missing in official 12.6 (in the driver cfx files themselves, not in the CAPS)

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Now people will be using it as a Windows 8 driver, with better performance and less bugs than the default ones after showing this screengrab...lol.

Just don't be asking me to start cooking in WDDM 1.2 support people, i'm on a well earned vacation/rest... :)

17. weah

weah Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    Thank you for all your great work, kevsamiga1974.

I'm using your R5 for my single 5850 (I'm not interested in crossfire), so my question is: could I install the latest 12.11 CAP 2 to improve Far Cry 3 & Max Payne 3 performance for single GPU configurations with AA enabled?

If yes, should I uninstall the old cap first?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  18. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
  19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Just curious...

Does Nvidia drivers say if your using an old DX10 only 8800GT work on windows 8 in wddm 1.2 mode ?

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If your on a 5850, there isn't really a reason not to be using later drivers which include Farcry 3 optimisations in the code, regardless of CAP.

Legacy drivers don't have it despises the cap, because the drivers for legacy are older by around 9 months and missing any optimisations for the game.

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013