If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    ...and can you install normal AMD drivers ?

If you can't...

Either somethings screwed up, or you played with furmark too much. :)

R11 worked without issue for you before. It's also working here...

2. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
  3. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    easy fix :p

1. F8 and repair
    2. system restore to the point just before driver installation

sorry for making such a big deal out of it :p

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ok finally, some more goodies added for a final release...

- 12.4 AMD MCE Encoder 64 codecs package added alongside highly updated AVIVO64 and WMV codecs (all can be checked for correct installation in C:/Program Files/Common Files/ATI Technologies/Multimedia/)
    and made to work on Windows 7 x64. aticenc.dll/aticenc64.dll from MCE package added and installed. :)
    - OpenCL back up to 938.2 (highest), OpenGL back to (working correct version of .11774 highest), CAL .dll's back up to .1741 (highest) inline with OpenCL components. Can't really see the downside to using them myself despite reports...
    - Removed preliminary added mobility switchable crap (Although driver itself retains mobility support). Couldn't get switchable integration to work on my internal desktop Intel G33 after fooling around for 2 days solid without catching a break.
    - Minor cleanups here and there.

This is also the end of the road with 11.12 Hybrid Universal R13.

Thank you for the support and encouragement to keep working away for many months, not always worthwhile however, and other times a head mash...researching and working around these issues alone.

It works fine now, I'm also now happy with the highly evolved state over standard drivers, the corrections and improvements, and there is really nothing more that can be done with the legacy components now without going backwards and re-introducing age old bugs, or going forwards and creating any instability/performance degradation. So it's probably the best balance of stability/performance/bug coverage.

It's amazing what 9 months of stress testing and investigation with standard broken drivers in a folder full of 30Gb of drivers and a sack full of apps and games can accomplish...

Thanks to the fans, but that's really all folks. I'm now done with further fixing of AMD's international driver lottery. No more hair pulling and knashing of teeth. I'm done with it....What still isn't fixed is probably completely out of my hands.

If you have a legacy card, I would also recommend you stay clear of coaxing Windows 8 to work with the remaining drivers properly, and just stay with Windows 7 to make life easier. Cheerio people, and good luck with the drivers...I'm also moving home shortly, which means I'll be less active on the forums during this time for obvious reasons.

Windows Vista/7 x64.

139.22Mb .rar. Just unpack and install using the normal method.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lkv4zab4hqh3mbb

5. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Downloaded...........unistalled R12......installed R13 smoothly...:thumbup:.......and proving......well...:)....PERFECT !! :grad:

I think.....best driver I ever had on my 4850 !! :) ...

.... And someone else at this point, with these results, has to .......:behead:

You said thanks for the fans........but are the fans thanking you for all you done for us !! :banana:

Don't worry, don't even like win 8.....seams a smartphone without touch.....horrible !! :thumbdown

I think pc has to be a pc and smatphone has to be a smartphone !!

Cheerio and good luck even to you my friend !! :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    so this is the end for 11.12 Hybrid like 13.1R? or there is a chance you do some minor updates here and there in the future?

regardless of that thank you ALLOT for everything!!! you made my 4850 working perfectly now :D (ok maybe except that i cant adjust the fan speed manually but thats nothing ^^ )
    :banana:

7. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    I even have the same problem.....works for a couple of seconds then goes away grayed......happenes to me for all CCCs after the old and red ati CCC......but I think maybie it's a NET bug.....and not so important for me.

If Kev has to do something else of important I think AMD has to do a new driver first (and it will have something new that works
    ) ....her are all things working good with the right mix of performance, stability and no bugs taken from what was good of all these years drivers......that is what a real "official" driver has to be.....and will not ever be......

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    kev, i still say newer CAP+old driver issues with are in a handful of games, not too alarming depending on what people are playing

now what we can easily do is just make our own custom .blb since we can go to xml & back, adjust the specific games that worked better on an older CAP with their older parameters, get the best of both worlds

as for the old driver you're looking for, i have a launch refrence sapphire, but the driver cd says 8.52.6 not .2 like you wanted, maybe you should just ask reviewers directly? (caveman-jim from rage3d, the pcper people, guru, TPU, hardocp, anand, etc) surely someone is keeping an archive, maybe even some internal archive at amd... ask robert thracks (overclockers)?

also... i would say submitting reports alone might be a bad idea, should have one big public list on a forum or site, which i've been debating if i should make, but got lazy & was hoping to cover newer cards as well

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    In the case of F1 2012 (DX10 title) I found something very bizarre going on...

Any drivers below 11.9 in crossfire are 10fps and a slideshow. (solved by disabling crossfire)

Any driver above 11.9 works well (don't know why since the game isn't profiled on old drivers being a 2012 title) that is until they introduced 12.8 CAP 2

Thereafter there is huge FPS loss and crossfire flickering, and the CAP itself goes past the end of legacy driver support (12.5 beta)

With the introduction of Windows 8 around 12.8 also complicating matters, some of these caps are not performing as good as they should be on older drivers available, and even older hardware....

It's affecting more games besides F1 2012 also...and it's not the first time I've heard of other games being ruined with CAP "improvements", like BF3, GW2 etc.

I think it's just asking for problems by using a cap ranged way higher than the driver is, because the driver doesn't contain any supplemental tweaks to go hand in hand with the CAP working correctly with specific titles.

Please upload 8.52.6 or provide a link (I don't have this one either, and they are increasingly harder to find trawling the net 5 years behind the rub)

------

Now for a short rant... :)

With newly discovered negative scaling dips and massive FPS drops and stuttering in tomb raider (2013), and the resulting dire lack of driver support along with bugfixes for crossfired 4870x2's to play recent and modern games to an acceptable degree/standard., that as a result people can do absolutely nothing about themselves....

If you aren't supported in crossfire (nevertheless legacy) regardless of driver updates to cover and alleviate new games working correctly in performance and fixes....well, you might as well have a single card. And a left behind supported one in single 4870 mode at that, so the FPS is still always going to be on the lean side (and unoptimized) compared to say a 5870 that still has access to later drivers (that are optimized for later games), not by your own choice, but by design.

So you will therefore be "gaming evolved" in the boundaries that we have set for you...so to speak. Namely late 2008 to late 2011, because after this game title support and performance falls hopelessly off a steep vertical cliff.

I really don't believe they factored in those in crossfire when they ended support, so I think it's just about almost time I hanged out these cards to dry...pity because the potential is still there to play these newer titles, but it is being stifled and artificially restricted by lack of supported game titles for the older cards save for token updates.

So the crux is....whether you really wanted to get rid of these old still capable 4000 series cards or not, driver support still means everything because of the way they are designed, so you're still crippled to a large degree in newer titles and left behind in the dirt with random performance unless your lucky enough to come across a game with an engine that already exists in the drivers that it can be substituted with an alternative profile, or resorting to more desperate tricks....so there is really no choice but to move on whether you want to or not. Even if the hardware can still in theory still match or exceed higher cards up the pecking order....it counts for very little without new drivers available to demonstrate this obvious fact.

So for my next buy, I don't want the same foibles in the support model happening again, so I'm going to choose something completely different to avoid this future scenario or any repeated support nightmare headaches, when it's decided elsewhere that it's time for my card to get it's retirement early without any bonuses. And the silent majority will therefore vote with their wallets.

It's a shame, because the hardware is good, but the software support is questionable at best.

10. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Until 11.x drivers were "decent" for us. Should I buy a 6670? When will it get axed?

11. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Excuse my ignorance in this field, but let me see if I understand something using less and more simple words then you....
    .....drivers have to go with there matched caps......if using previous drivers (because better) with latest caps (having more games or different settings), no match, so no aspected performance or even worst performance.

This can be even obiusly right because different drivers make going games differently so needing different settings with caps, but the real shame is for us 4xxxx users is that amd has come for us to 12.6 (but best drivers are under 12.x) and then directly 13.1 without caps support ......and even if one day you decide to buy a 7xxxx series, with this politics, after 3/5 years it will be old like our 4xxxx so would have our same problems....
    .....so I think amd will loose a lot of peolpe going to nvidia.

If what I understand is right, these worst performances are even for single user cards or regards more crossfire users ??

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    There may still be, and that's very tentative...minor updates and corrections/fixes as and when I come across them, or when I see fit to fix newly buggy things discovered (if I can do that, or if I have the time or the willpower anymore to work around this broken stuff. Sometimes there is no fix without losing something else. I try to make sure everything works and functions correctly as possible.)

If you want raw performance on meaningless benchmarks instead of the bugs/missing features worked around and crashes fixed then look elsewhere, or use the first available old bug ridden drivers. :)

But the pace of updates now will be very much slower. As it's more or less complete. And there hasn't been anything new in like 1 year almost....

There is an update today though...fixing the 3DMark 2013 crash on the cloudgate test which was fixed before in releases way back but which crept back in with all the various changes....The crash happens even in the official latest drivers, and it's pure luck whether you have it or not in crossfire.

Infact.....all atikmdag.sys versions I tested on 3dmark 2013 are busted in the 12.x series in legacy crossfire and will BSOD with 0x116 reboots depending on other components used. (the main driver files themselves don't matter)

This is why 11.12H is a better option for fixing nasty things like this from happening...Although tomb raider is still a stuttery mess with huge fps drops everywhere (resolution doesn't matter) and I've tried lot's of alternative profiles to no success.

- 3dmark 2013 cloud-gate BSOD 0x116 fixed (again) for legacy.
    - Corrected poor WEI score drop towards the end of legacy drivers compared to older drivers WEI scores.
    - Slight updates to included CAPS without ruining any game performance/introducing glitches (to my knowledge) to 12.7 CAP 3.
    - No other changes.

--------

11.12 Hybrid Universal R13 - Updated link (Vista/7 x64)

138.36MB

http://www.mediafire.com/?lkv4zab4hqh3mbb

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  13. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Hello Kev...!!!

I know this drivers is mean to be for windows 7 only but I was able to install it in windows 8 win7 compatibly mode, however I'm unable to install the last two Revisions of it, look like you cleaned it to much and took out any possibility to install it even in win7 compatibility mode (and DDSE off).
    I get use to utilize windows 8 as windows 7 and is enough for my computer needs. Well..!! time to look forward and somewhere also I guess
    Thanks thought.

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    This is why I can't really fix the 3dmark BSOD on 13.1R because it will break Windows 8 support, user profiles functionality or both.

There is only one version of critical files that works without BSOD *and* supports user profiles still, but probably incompatible with Windows 8 (which these are not for anyway)

15. magus

magus Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon 5870
    Hey I had a question. There seems to be so many modded drivers for legacy ati cards I don't know which one to use.

I have a laptop and my gpu is ATI mobility radeon hd 3650. I don't know if I should use ankinferno's drivers, dellon's drivers, and whether to use your driver on this page or your reloaded drivers. Was wondering if you can help decide which one is the best. I just want the games to run fast as I always use lowest settings anyway and videos to play smooth. I have windows 7 x64 by the way. Thanks

16. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    I don't think this is a "kindly" question to do(my opinion).......everyone is proud of his own work......and at the same time it's not correct saying something about someones else work....the only thing to do is try everything to see the differences even why different machines mean different results.

17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    There is no clear right answer. It depends on game to game, card to card, driver to driver or even a different card in the same series.

It depends on the games you play...and even what cpu your using, amount of ram etc.

And what you can get away with performance offering wise without re-introducing stone age old bugs. :)

But nobody has anything new to play with since April 2012 on legacy apart from myself's research ;-) so the situation is already dire if your still rocking the legacy boat, but this driver does includes bug fixes for broken driver stuff.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  18. aethius

aethius Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7770
    Hey, which was the last one you could use on win8?

19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Search for 13.1 Reloaded...

20. tape_artist

tape_artist Active Member

GPU:
    HD4850
    How come these drivers don't come in a 323 bit flavor?