If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    is it normal that there is NO hardware video decoding in utube in chrome browser?

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If your referring to the R11 hotfix 1, then yes.

ALL HW acclerated decoding is killed or UltraHD cases will crash on encountering a 4K video.

HW acclerated rendering remains however.

This is still a better solution to fix the 4K video BSOD's than turning off hardware acceleration in flash which kills everything and makes video look blocky, and I haven't found another way round it yet...

R11 or R11 V2 Universal doesn't follow this behaviour, R11 HF1 is only for those that need to watch UltraHD without system reboots. :)

Blame the original POS drivers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Browser scrolling lag does get worse for legacy into the 12.x components, I've observed this trend, yes. It's another reason why some stuff is 11.12. :)

I could hack in OpenGL on the system driver if I really wanted to, but the drivers were really poor in cpu limited situations until 9.8 driver, and the old OpenGL .dll's that the system driver would work with wouldn't be worth having trust me, and then FF chokes on anything below 10.6, although the version numbers can be "patched" to bypass it. :)

11.9 was the best stable quality driver from all my tests, apart from ****ty fps in skyrim which can be cured by renaming TESV to fallout3. Everything went downhill from there. I don't know why it is so but before that driver certain games on the old ones lag like hell in xfire when they *dont* have a profile say 2012 stuff, although 2D and Windows stuff seems faster on old drivers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    More Goodies in progress to come, including AVIVO64 12.5 ! (Yes it works in CCC panel)

And concentrated work on video playback side of things area mainly for HTPC use...I finished game stuff for now.

Look at all those lovely updated AMD codec versions registered in the system... :)

Why shouldn't you have all the bugfixed decoders on legacy cards ?

Only Hybrid makes it possible.

Conclusion: AVT is NOT really needed at all after investigating, it just replicates 2 .dll's that AVIVO64 installs but does it a different way and adds a lot of startup crap with nothing to show for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

5. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    no i have installed this "11.12 Hybridized R11 V2"

in firefox hardware video >decoding< works fine, in chrome it doesnt!

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    browser scrolling isnt done on cpu anymore?

i use addons for both FF & chrome so i dont get the vanilla scrolling, not sure what effect that has... i really hate how ALL browsers are so prehistoric compared to games

aero is fantastic, cant stand XP now, so it's the browser's turn to be smooth... btw opera has been smooth scrolling for a decade, wtf are the others doing wrong? maybe the coders just dont care

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Not sure what's going on there then when IE & FF is working...

Chrome should be using the FF version of flash.

8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's just that the "old" drivers from the 10.x and 9.x range feel snappier in the aero and browser scrolling department than newer ones.

Without doing any specific tests you can just feel the difference in day to day use. It's snappy rather than sluggish.

9. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    actually i think chrome has his own flash player inside it, it doesnt use "other browsers" version like firefox does (cause flash works even if you uninstall it from windows), probably its modified and needs some extra attention?

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC

11. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    then why hardware decoding isnt working? its very strange...

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well today...and it took me quite a while actually to work through the entire list.

I've submitted my entire caboodle of collected bugs with the latest legacy drivers in apps, in games and in CCC and driver errors etc, which should keep them busy till next Christmas fixing things at least on the legacy front.

So here's hoping your next official legacy driver in 6 months time (if there ever will be one) will take into account the massive amount of bug reports I've completed and sent in the survey's today and ties up a lot of loose ends for ppl. :)

Here's hoping...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    if they address even some of then i think we can be happy :D
    but i think 13.6/7 will be like 13.1... :(

thanks for that though kev ^^

14. Constant

Constant Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    with 2x4870x2 im getting 55-65fps in LeagueOfLegends with crossfire on ,

and 75-85 with crossfire off....

weird...

Honestly ... is my 651K AMD cpu that crappy ? (4 cores 3.3Ghz) , I get negative crossfire results in almost everything but 100%GPU benchmarks....

15. mkflawless

mkflawless Member

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Constant :

Disable the HUD animations and set your video mode on Benchmark, then check your fps in LoL (your fps should double to triple)

16. Constant

Constant Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    worked :) thx!

17. MichaelT

MichaelT Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    Modern Apps

This question is for anyone who has installed this driver in compatibility mode in Windows 8x64.
    Does this driver have a working camera and video app?
    Thanks for your time in confirming this,
    Michael T

18. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Thank you pal. I hope AMD fixes the driver. I mean, they can. The HD 7000 cards are working sweet now, it's time to give some little attention to us, legacy users.

19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I already worked thru the LoL issues with mkflawless if you check back up the thread. :)

This driver works better for skyrim in crossfire using DX9, the last legacy driver with .911 (beta) (12.6 & 13.1) DX9 (and presumably the Windows 8 system ones) has very stuttery performance in skyrim with a save game stood looking at the water wheel in riverwood+fraps for comparison, and walking around is stuttery and inconsistent.

I submitted a bug report about that one aswell.

Games on legacy seem to have regressed since 12.3, more-so in DX10 where they introduced the new texture filtering algorithm. BFBC2 crossfire performance was also down to 35 from 60 in x-fire/1080p in DX10. I solved all these game problems.

As for negative scaling, if your trying to play games released "after" legacy support ended starting really from 18th April 2012 (there's been nothing new since), then unless the drivers have a crossfire optimisation for the game inside the drivers (because CAP's are not a cure all band aid for everything) you will see this trend playing 2012 and 2013 games.

I wrote at length in another thread why the end of legacy support didn't matter for single card users as much as crossfire legacy, where it's absolutely essential to have new drivers with the latest crossfire optimisation inside the driver files themselves for newer games or you are stuffed and will get poor performance and utilisation, and in some cases negative scaling unless you can force/remap a profile for a game engine that already exists etc.

So for crossfire legacy, we're almost 1 year behind the times in games. If you have a single card it doesn't really matter much about the end of support. Only crossfire has this problem with lack of new drivers. The hardware is still capable and will just keep increasing in game performance along with the CPU speed inceases, sadly the software level needed is lacking...

I discovered that using later caps with older drivers can in some cases hurt rather than help, killing FPS in some games and introducing crossfire flicker and glitches etc, which needs the driver level support also to implement what the CAP is trying to do properly, but this driver level support doesn't exist.

It was always the case in the past that if you were running crossfire, you needed to have the latest drivers to have good performance in new games released, and sadly this legacy crossfire oversight seems to have been overlooked with the end of support save for token updates since. It doesn't mean the game won't run, just that it won't run the best it can be without properly supported updated drivers for crossfire. And therein lies the big problem since April 2012.

Like for example how trying to play a 2011 game on 2009 drivers works in crossfire. Encountering the unknown.exe and un-optimised, it's no wonder therefore your going to get poor scaling and resulting bad FPS. :)

There is nothing much that I (or we) can do about it... :bang:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  20. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Kev, do you know if sli for old cards is bad implemented too?